Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Self Transferring through Frankfurt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Hello,
I want to fly from Bangkok to Brazil and the best route is through Frankfurt. However, I have to fly with Thai Airways to Frankfurt and then self-transfer to catch my Air Europa flight.
I have 6 hours to self-transfer.
I am not an EU citizen.
I am wondering if I would be unable to go through immigration, collect my baggage, and check it in with Air Europa given the COVID restrictions.
Anyone know?
Thank you
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by flyingheadache
Hello,
I want to fly from Bangkok to Brazil and the best route is through Frankfurt. However, I have to fly with Thai Airways to Frankfurt and then self-transfer to catch my Air Europa flight.
I have 6 hours to self-transfer.
I am not an EU citizen.
I am wondering if I would be unable to go through immigration, collect my baggage, and check it in with Air Europa given the COVID restrictions.
Anyone know?
Thank you
if they are on the samer ticket, this might be ok. If you have to enter germany to get bags, that might be ok since you are doing it for purposes of transit and germany allows this. But be prepared to be denied entry.
On different tickets, almost definitely not. Thai will not let you board as you are not admissible to Germany.
flyingheadache likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryman554
if they are on the samer ticket, this might be ok. If you have to enter germany to get bags, that might be ok since you are doing it for purposes of transit and germany allows this. But be prepared to be denied entry.
On different tickets, almost definitely not. Thai will not let you board as you are not admissible to Germany.
Thank you.
I suppose all Schengen airports follow the same regulations, i.e. you can transit through the international area but cannot enter Schengen without a EU passport even if it's just for 7 hours to get your baggage and check in at another airline.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:23 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Thank you.
I suppose all Schengen airports follow the same regulations, i.e. you can transit through the international area but cannot enter Schengen without a EU passport even if it's just for 7 hours to get your baggage and check in at another airline.
Are you a resident of Thailand by any chance?
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deckter
Are you a resident of Thailand by any chance?
No, I am a resident of Brazil.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:58 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
No, I am a resident of Brazil.
Unfortunately, then you will not be able to self-transfer on two separate tickets. I think your safest bet would be QR or EK to GRU.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You can transfer in FRA. The expression 'self-transfer' is misleading; if you mean that you have two separate tickets then no, you cannot do what you propose because you are not eligible to enter Germany, which is your destination on your first ticket. You'll be denied boarding in BKK. You have to purchase a single continuous ticket.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You can transfer in FRA. The expression 'self-transfer' is misleading; if you mean that you have two separate tickets then no, you cannot do what you propose because you are not eligible to enter Germany, which is your destination on your first ticket. You'll be denied boarding in BKK. You have to purchase a single continuous ticket.
Thank you.
Well, I buy from a site like kayak.com and they say I have to "self-transfer" which entails passing through immigration, getting my baggage, and taking it to the next airline. Customer service at the Frankfurt airport said this would be fine provided I have a negative COVID test taken less than 48 hours prior to flight but I am not sure I trust them. Like you said, I would technically be flying to Germany and entering that country. No visa is required for my passport but because of COVID I do not think I can enter the Schengen zone as a non-citizen.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:34 am
Suspended

Thank you.
Well, I buy from a site like kayak.com and they say I have to "self-transfer" which entails passing through immigration, getting my baggage, and taking it to the next airline. Customer service at the Frankfurt airport said this would be fine provided I have a negative COVID test taken less than 48 hours prior to flight but I am not sure I trust them. Like you said, I would technically be flying to Germany and entering that country. No visa is required for my passport but because of COVID I do not think I can enter the Schengen zone as a non-citizen.
Are you on one ticket or not? If you are on two separate tickets (which it sounds like you are) you will be denied boarding in BKK because you are currently not permitted to enter Germany to retrieve your luggage. This has nothing to do with customer service in Frankfurt and everything with the airlines check-in in BKK. Make your life easier and buy a single ticket from the airline, not Kayak and the like.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are you on one ticket or not? If you are on two separate tickets (which it sounds like you are) you will be denied boarding in BKK because you are currently not permitted to enter Germany to retrieve your luggage. This has nothing to do with customer service in Frankfurt and everything with the airlines check-in in BKK. Make your life easier and buy a single ticket from the airline, not Kayak and the like.
Yes, probably to spend a little more and buy straight from the airline.
Looks like 2 tickets.

Yeah, probably better to buy straight from the airline in these times.

Looks like 2 tickets:

Self-transfer
This amazing price is possible because we combined separate tickets. Please remember to check in between flights, recheck any luggage and bring a visa if needed when you leave the transit zone to check in

Note that it is your responsibility to check if you are allowed to enter and leave the countries you are traveling through. For example, the Self-transfer Guarantee does not apply if you are denied boarding due to pandemic restrictions.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:53 am
Suspended

I'm glad they at least spell it out very clearly for you! Welcome to FT!
Old Apr 26, 2021, 4:40 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
I don’t think Air Europa flies Frankfurt to Brazil direct. You need to transfer in Madrid. Hence, this itinerary will not be allowed for you because you need to enter Schengen.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 5:19 am
Suspended

Okay I had a look for you.

Germany - You can enter as a non EU citizen so long as you were living in Thailand previous 6 months. If not no luck. You would also need the antigen, LAMP or PCR test from past 48 hours before arrival.

Spain - As I assume your new ticket would be Frankfurt to Brazil via Madrid. If you gained entry to Germany using Thai residency, you would be allowed to fly to Spain as you are flying from Germany (another EU country) but would need a PCR, antigen or LAMP past 72 hours.

Brazil - You can enter as you are a resident as you state but remember would need PCR past 72 hours.

Also to note Spain - Brazil direct flights are currently suspended so ensure that flight is realistic that it will even take off. I would recommend if you did not spend past 6 months in Thailand to use another route. You are admissable to the US if you were not in UK, EU, Iran, Brazil, China, South Africa in past 14 days so could look at flying to Brazil via USA. Another option as other posters mentioned was Qatar or Emirates.

If you could do an airside transit through Germany or Switzerland straight from say Bangkok to Sao Paulo via Frankfurt, or Bangkok to Sao Paulo via Zurich this would also be no problem. Main issue is under your proposed plan you need to actually enter the schengen area through passport control.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Thai Airways to Frankfurt
A big problem. Who knows whether Thai Airways is going to fly that route. The same is true for Air Europa.

Thank you.
Well, I buy from a site like kayak.com
In case, you have already bought the ticket -> your money is lost.

Well, I buy from a site like kayak.com and they say I have to "self-transfer" which entails passing through immigration, getting my baggage, and taking it to the next airline.
How can someone buy such a self-transfer tickets during a pandemic?

Last edited by warakorn; Apr 26, 2021 at 7:41 am
Old Apr 26, 2021, 5:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SailorTomSparrow
Okay I had a look for you.

Germany - You can enter as a non EU citizen so long as you were living in Thailand previous 6 months. If not no luck. You would also need the antigen, LAMP or PCR test from past 48 hours before arrival.

Spain - As I assume your new ticket would be Frankfurt to Brazil via Madrid. If you gained entry to Germany using Thai residency, you would be allowed to fly to Spain as you are flying from Germany (another EU country) but would need a PCR, antigen or LAMP past 72 hours.

Brazil - You can enter as you are a resident as you state but remember would need PCR past 72 hours.

Also to note Spain - Brazil direct flights are currently suspended so ensure that flight is realistic that it will even take off. I would recommend if you did not spend past 6 months in Thailand to use another route. You are admissable to the US if you were not in UK, EU, Iran, Brazil, China, South Africa in past 14 days so could look at flying to Brazil via USA. Another option as other posters mentioned was Qatar or Emirates.

If you could do an airside transit through Germany or Switzerland straight from say Bangkok to Sao Paulo via Frankfurt, or Bangkok to Sao Paulo via Zurich this would also be no problem. Main issue is under your proposed plan you need to actually enter the schengen area through passport control.
Note that you can't simultaneously be a Thai and Brazilian resident.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.