Old Apr 25, 21, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Marriott Platinum and Chairman's Club
EU to let vaccinated travellers in!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/w...gtype=Homepage
Old Apr 25, 21, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Details, details and details need to be filled in. But, this is a very good development as one presumes that it would not have been the subject of a public statement at that level if it were not close to done. Remains to be seen whether the UK and other non-EU European countries will join the party and whether the US will provide some relief on its end, at least for some EU / European states.
Old Apr 25, 21, 4:16 pm
Suspended

light on info as usual. I imagine neg test will also allow entry.
lobo411 and DL77 like this.
Old Apr 25, 21, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Details, details and details need to be filled in. But, this is a very good development as one presumes that it would not have been the subject of a public statement at that level if it were not close to done. Remains to be seen whether the UK and other non-EU European countries will join the party and whether the US will provide some relief on its end, at least for some EU / European states.
Not complaining but my money was on the UK doing this first.
Old Apr 25, 21, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by 747-800i View Post
light on info as usual. I imagine neg test will also allow entry.
i would not make that assumption.

-test is much riskier than vaccinated person. Vaccinated folks are like 60-90% less likely to get disease (being conservative), and about the same to get severe, so probability of transmission, if sick, is lower by 3-5x. ish. Being conservative. -test just means not detectibly sick before entering EU. Good, but not 3-5x less risk, i don't think. -test + isolation to test out after 2-3 days or so would probably equate to similar/better risk upon entry.

-test + vaccination = best of both worlds.

Then, when in country, vaccinated folks are significantly less likely to get sick and need care. So, less potential strain on foreign hospital system.
Old Apr 25, 21, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Not complaining but my money was on the UK doing this first.
You still have time to not lose money on this. If it wishes, the UK could choose to roll out a faster welcome mat to vaccinated visitors from the US than the EU and/or some EU/Schengen countries beside Greece and Iceland.
AZ112 and Owenc like this.
Old Apr 25, 21, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ryman554 View Post
i would not make that assumption.

-test is much riskier than vaccinated person. Vaccinated folks are like 60-90% less likely to get disease (being conservative), and about the same to get severe, so probability of transmission, if sick, is lower by 3-5x. ish. Being conservative. -test just means not detectibly sick before entering EU. Good, but not 3-5x less risk, i don't think. -test + isolation to test out after 2-3 days or so would probably equate to similar/better risk upon entry.

-test + vaccination = best of both worlds.

Then, when in country, vaccinated folks are significantly less likely to get sick and need care. So, less potential strain on foreign hospital system.
Greece is already letting Americans with a neg test and Macron indicated France would allow vaxxed, neg test and those with proof of recovery. I have a feeling it's going to be the same for all of the EU.
LETTERBOY and DL77 like this.
Old Apr 25, 21, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
You still have time to not lose money on this. If it wishes, the UK could choose to roll out a faster welcome mat to vaccinated visitors from the US than the EU and/or some EU/Schengen countries beside Greece and Iceland.

Hmmm, very true. That is the reason I was betting on the UK.
Old Apr 25, 21, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
I want to know when I can book a trip to TXL for a weekend.
Old Apr 25, 21, 5:09 pm
exp

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Originally Posted by 747-800i View Post
Greece is already letting Americans with a neg test and Macron indicated France would allow vaxxed, neg test and those with proof of recovery. I have a feeling it's going to be the same for all of the EU.
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I want to know when I can book a trip to TXL for a weekend.
Article said no timeline but Macro said at the beginning of May they will start to ease restrictions. Other articles suggest they are trying to get their own Digital Green Certificates by the end of June.

Other EU politicians have talked about June as well, such as Draghi.

You can go to Greece now but there are restrictions. So maybe not until mid May when Greece loosens their restrictions -- their own citizens can't travel around their own country yet.

France and Germany both have high new case rates now. I think Germany announced more lockdowns until the end of May. Some German state governments refused lockdown orders from Berlin so they passed a federal law there recently to overrule the state governments.

So it seems like we have a month or two, end of May to end of June, for cases to go down low enough that they open up restaurants and maybe some venues like museums. They are also expecting that their vaccination rollouts will take off in this month or two.

If for some reason cases take off by mid June, all bets are off. However, they're under a lot of pressure from their own tourist sectors to open things up.
Old Apr 25, 21, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
EU opens up to vaccinated Americans!

EU will allow vaccinated Americans to travel to EU this summer, according to NYTimes. Sorry, can't post the link, but this sounds like a gamechanger to me!!! United's summer schedule will be ramping up more!
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 21, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra View Post
EU will allow vaccinated Americans to travel to EU this summer, according to NYTimes. Sorry, can't post the link, but this sounds like a gamechanger to me!!! United's summer sch9will be ramping up more!
Yes, but will the museums and other tourist sights also be reopening this summer?
Old Apr 25, 21, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson View Post
Yes, but will the museums and other tourist sights also be reopening this summer?
Don't know. But cruise lines have already been leaning towards cruises out of Greece in July.
Old Apr 25, 21, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I hope I can go to Switzerland next year. Iím flying to Basel. I have connections the flight in LHR. If UK airspace is reopened again. Depends if they relaxes restrictions.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 21, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
I hope I can go to Switzerland next year. I’m flying to Basel. I have connections the flight in LHR. If UK airspace is reopened again. Depends if they relaxes restrictions.
I booked a connection at LHR too for my July trip, except I cleverly booked my connection time for 23 hrs so I would be able to spend a few hours in the British Museum.

Hmm...but if my final destination (France) requires a PCR test taken 72 hrs before arrival in addition to proof of vaccination...I think I screwed myself! =D

Search this Thread
Search Engine: