Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU to let vaccinated travellers in!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU to let vaccinated travellers in!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:42 pm

Once the first person with a fake card enters and starts spreading Covid around Europe those handwritten CDC cards will be done.... Hope there is some more verifiable system that can be got up and running quickly....
zip10001 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:06 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Just a small point of order: It is not the EU who gets to decide what the travel rules are for individual countries within the EU. One country may open, another may not, and it's got sod all to do with what the EU has to say on the matter.
Temedar, Kgmm77, ajGoes and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Just a small point of order: It is not the EU who gets to decide what the travel rules are for individual countries within the EU. One country may open, another may not, and it's got sod all to do with what the EU has to say on the matter.
Indeed. Border restrictions are primarily a member state rather than an EU competence. Ursula is clearly signalling what she wants to happen, but there is no obligation for EU states to follow. There will be pressure to sort out intra-EU travel restrictions before third countries.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
I want to know when I can book a trip to TXL for a weekend.
Never.....
asnovici and r0gerthat like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Sounds like EU will accept CDC vaccination card at face value. I don’t see how US state-level immunization records are going to be integrated with the a single authentication scheme in the next 3 months let along half a dozen schemes floating around.
Sounds like those eBay auctions are going to be popular this summer....
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:02 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Also please be aware that there are still restrictions in various countries, for exemple in Germany it is forbidden for hotels to rent room to tourists, they must be business or personal trips and proof are asked. Restaurants are closed in many countries. This will be still the case in May and most likely in June too.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by enviroian
I want to know when I can book a trip to TXL for a weekend.
You'd have to fly into BER, then rent a car to drive to TXL, which is a vaccination station now and no longer an airport!
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Precisely. Whilst the EU can issue guidance, there is nothing stopping individual countries from continuing to restrict travel.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:38 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by freedom2020
If EU can open in the summer, they can open now. There is no material difference between now and summer. EU will be still very low in vaccination percentage. .
This is simply not true. In most EU countries, 70% of the population will be vaccinated sometime in July.
StingWest, Kgmm77, 8420PR and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:39 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Also please be aware that there are still restrictions in various countries, for exemple in Germany it is forbidden for hotels to rent room to tourists, they must be business or personal trips and proof are asked. Restaurants are closed in many countries. This will be still the case in May and most likely in June too.
Exactly. There will be many local restrictions, certainly in May and quite likely also still in June.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lobo411
True. It's just extremely unlikely to happen in a single case, and it's statistically impossible for it to have a meaningful effect on infection dynamics. Things that need to go wrong:

1. Tourist needs to be exposed to someone who is infected before leaving the US
2. Vaccine needs to fail to protect said tourist
3. Tourist needs to make it to foreign country w/o their illness being discovered
4. Tourist needs to encounter unvaccinated locals, or locals in whom vaccination has also failed

What's the probability of #1 happening? Of #2 happening? Of #3 and #4? And then adjust for the probability of #1-2-3-4 happening in exactly the right time frame and sequence...we're not at 0%, but pretty damn close! =)
So then why is CDC keeping test requirements for fully US vaccinated returning to US?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Exactly and that country may have a color code for certain regions also that you may or may not visit.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
So then why is CDC keeping test requirements for fully US vaccinated returning to US?
Great question. It's probably going to change in the near future.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 4:47 am

I assume there will be some sort of reciprocity between the US and the EU?
Old Apr 26, 2021, 5:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by N830MH
I hope I can go to Switzerland next year. I’m flying to Basel. I have connections the flight in LHR. If UK airspace is reopened again. Depends if they relaxes restrictions.
UK airspace never shut in the first place. You can fly via LHR to Switzerland now so long as you have approval to enter Switzerland. No issues from UK side.

Originally Posted by tattikat2
I think they still will "beat " the EU to the punch out of nationalistic pride and be "trail blazers" by opening up to the US first.

Just my opinion.
UK already beat the EU in this regard. US travellers were never banned from entering. So long as US travellers has covid test past 3 days and self isolated for first 10 days, they are welcome in UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.