Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU to let vaccinated travellers in!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU to let vaccinated travellers in!

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2021, 12:06 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Look at reinfections in the Seychelles, which claimed 60% had at least one shot.

Turns out they use Sinopharm, which wouldn't be in the approved list for the EU, and a Indian-made version of the AZ vaccine which is called Covi-Shield.

Does that count for the purpose of EU entry, to have the Indian-made version of AZ, which may or may not be exactly the same?
lobo411 likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Indian-made AZ vaccine is approved in the EU.

With regard to the Seychelles, the issue may be less the source of the vaccine (and perhaps even the vaccine type) than questionable supply/logistics/administration chains leading up to delivering shots into arms.
lobo411 likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Both Sinopharm and AstraZeneca require refrigerator storage temperature (2–8 °C), so while it's certainly not as logistically challenging as the BioNtech vaccine, it is possible that the storage temperature went too high during distribution.
Old May 9, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Tourism is an important key to Italy's restart, and we must plan the summer well, so that health, economy and work are not endangered. We had a first discussion with Minister Roberto Speranza on measures for reopening foreign tourists who want to visit our country this summer. The goal is to reopen to visitors from those foreign countries that have achieved a high level of vaccination, loosening some measures as early as mid-May. We are working to overcome the "mini quarantine" for those coming from European countries, the United Kingdom and Israel, if you have a negative swab, certificate of vaccination or if you have recovered from covid in the last 6 months. Same thing for the US, where covid free flights will be enhanced and from June we aim to overcome the "mini quarantine" on arrival. Furthermore, we are organizing covid free flights also for Dubai, where EXPO will start from October.
So here's a translated quote from Luigi Di Maio's (Italy's Minister of Foreign Affairs) Facebook page. This is disappointing and looks like I'm going to have to readjust travel again.
Old May 9, 2021, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seigex
So here's a translated quote from Luigi Di Maio's (Italy's Minister of Foreign Affairs) Facebook page. This is disappointing and looks like I'm going to have to readjust travel again.
Being on the bleeding edge has its risks which is why I am waiting until things get ironed out before booking any INTL travel.
Old May 9, 2021, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
Being on the bleeding edge has its risks which is why I am waiting until things get ironed out before booking any INTL travel.
Yeah, I'm used to it so it's not a huge deal, I'll figure something out, probably go back to planning Greece. Everything I book is fully refundable, and being solo I can adjust on the fly, but I was looking forward to Italy.
Old May 9, 2021, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I'm used to it so it's not a huge deal, I'll figure something out, probably go back to planning Greece. Everything I book is fully refundable, and being solo I can adjust on the fly, but I was looking forward to Italy.
Fully understand. I am itching to use my passport but gunna be patient.
seigex likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 11:52 am
BLV

So if I understand this correctly - by August, vaccinated or those with a negative test will be able to fly to Italy from US and avoid the quarantine?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by BLV
So if I understand this correctly - by August, vaccinated or those with a negative test will be able to fly to Italy from US and avoid the quarantine?
Hi,

I believe that is the current plan ( but as with so many things during the past year, they could well change/be delayed etc) but hopefully.

Regards

TBS
BLV, LETTERBOY and seigex like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by BLV
Yeah that's what the expectation is. I do remember seeing a bit of an older post here saying that JFK was approved for "covid-free flights" to FCO, and they mention covid-free flights in my quote above, so I'm not sure if there will be required airports to bypass quarantine, but worth researching whether you need a repositioning flight if you plan on booking.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 12:25 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Italy is suppose to open up to tourists from mid May so about a week.

Unless they pull an India.
Old May 9, 2021, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Italy is suppose to open up to tourists from mid May so about a week.

Unless they pull an India.
Read my quote above from the foreign minister, they are now saying US citizens won't lose quarantine until mid-June.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 12:34 pm
BLV

Yeah that's what the expectation is. I do remember seeing a bit of an older post here saying that JFK was approved for "covid-free flights" to FCO, and they mention covid-free flights in my quote above, so I'm not sure if there will be required airports to bypass quarantine, but worth researching whether you need a repositioning flight if you plan on booking.
Thanks. I’ve got tickets to fly out of JFK in August, so as long as above stands, this is great news for me.
Old May 9, 2021, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BLV
AFAIK the "covid free" flights from the USA to Italy require multiple tests before and after the TATL flight. There's no exception so far for passengers who are fully vaccinated. [I'm not sure whether there's an age below which children aren't required to be tested.] There's a fairly big thread on this in the DL forum.
seigex likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Read my quote above from the foreign minister, they are now saying US citizens won't lose quarantine until mid-June.
this is the 2021 version of “two more weeks”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.