Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU to let vaccinated travellers in!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU to let vaccinated travellers in!

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2021, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Of course, each member state can do what they want, but I don’t believe a single second that some could introduce the requirement of being vaccinated or tested to go to a restaurant. This could work in some countries, but certainly not in EU.

Denmark is in the EU and they already have put in place a requirement for meeting a vaccination and/or testing result standard so as to do some indoor activity:

A few kilometres away, the National Museum has set up small tents to check that each visitor is wearing a face mask and is the holder of a “corona pass”.

The pass — which confirms that a person has either tested negative in the past 72 hours, been vaccinated, or recently recovered from Covid-19 — is required to enter museums and sit down at restaurants, where reservations are mandatory except at outdoor terraces.
https://www.thelocal.dk/20210422/its...s-and-museums/
Old May 1, 2021, 12:09 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I guess it's cultural.

French restaurant owners managed to get Macron to open up several times during the past year when it didn't turn out to be a wise decision.

They're not going to check for vaccination or negative tests even if government required it. In fact, are they going to comply with restrictions on indoor dining?

That's why you have to be wary about booking anything now. We will see as restrictions are relaxed in May what happens to the number of cases in France, which is still high.
Old May 1, 2021, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Denmark is in the EU and they already have put in place a requirement for meeting a vaccination and/or testing result standard so as to do some indoor activity:

https://www.thelocal.dk/20210422/its...s-and-museums/
You keep coming back to Denmark as some kind of a proxy for the EU.

What goes in one EU state doesn’t work in others. It will be tough enough to gain consensus for even the most basic cross-border usage of a Green/Digital/Passport/Certificate (whatever it’s called today) without using it more more contentious purposes. That’s not to say some countries won’t extend its use (like Denmark for example), but the chances of it being an EU initiative are very low.
Old May 1, 2021, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
You keep coming back to Denmark as some kind of a proxy for the EU.
That is incorrect. I mentioned Denmark and Denmark's being in the EU to show that the words which I quoted were making a claim that already doesn't hold up as true.

Here's the claim:

"..... I don’t believe a single second that some could introduce the requirement of being vaccinated or tested to go to a restaurant. This could work in some countries, but certainly not in EU."

The claim in the quoted words already don't hold as true.

I know full well that Denmark isn't Sweden, even as each of them are in the EU and are very divergent in their approaches during this pandemic. So which was the proxy earlier and now? Neither.
vanillabean likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 1, 2021 at 12:23 pm
Old May 1, 2021, 12:22 pm

That is incorrect. I mentioned Denmark and Denmark's being in the EU to show that the words which I quoted were making a claim that already doesn't hold up as true.
The poster you quoted said what Denmark has done couldn’t work across the EU. Which I completely agree with.

It’s no different to saying a New Jersey or California requirement has little chance of becoming a Federal law, even though there may be some overlaps in the practical application.
Old May 1, 2021, 12:26 pm
Suspended

The poster you quoted said what Denmark has done couldn’t work across the EU. Which I completely agree with.
I'll stick with addressing the words which I quoted rather than with a later take on what the quoted words mean or may have been meant to mean. That OP didn't mention Denmark in the post from which I quoted.

Facts matter, as does pointing out how things are already going in parts of the EU.
Old May 1, 2021, 12:34 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
For France, it has been made very clear that the sanitary passport (vaccination or recent test) will not be required for daily activities like shopping or going to a restaurant, see a movie, etc. Only mandated for travels out of the country and attending large events (concerts, conventions). Of course, each member state can do what they want, but I don’t believe a single second that some could introduce the requirement of being vaccinated or tested to go to a restaurant. This could work in some countries, but certainly not in EU. Revolutions have started for less than this .
It is the case in Germany. It is fairly location dependent as restrictions are varying locally but those with terrace opens you must have a test or a vaccination to seat down, you must have a test or a vaccination to go to the hairdresser, etc ...
Old May 1, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I don’t believe a single second that some could introduce the requirement of being vaccinated or tested to go to a restaurant. This could work in some countries, but certainly not in EU. Revolutions have started for less than this
It’s somewhat of a paradox that the countries whose climate is more friendly to eating outdoors are also the ones that we find the least able to adopt a vaccination pass for eating indoors?
Old May 1, 2021, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My Walgreens CDC card does not appear to have required batch and lot numbers.
DL77 likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
My Walgreens CDC card does not appear to have required batch and lot numbers.
My daughter Walmart CDC card too...just vaccine name and date
Old May 1, 2021, 2:03 pm

I'll stick with addressing the words which I quoted rather than with a later take on what the quoted words mean or may have been meant to mean. That OP didn't mention Denmark in the post from which I quoted.

Facts matter, as does pointing out how things are already going in parts of the EU.
I spend my life immersed in the EU legislative process. What goes on in Denmark is frankly as relevant as what goes on in Djibouti for many of the EU countries and even at its most basic, the EU COVID certificate still faces large hurdles to come into force at all. Let’s wait and see where this all goes over the next month or two, as the last year has sadly brought the limitations of the EU structures into cold focus. But we live in hope.
the810 likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 6:12 pm

I spend my life immersed in the EU legislative process. What goes on in Denmark is frankly as relevant as what goes on in Djibouti for many of the EU countries and even at its most basic, the EU COVID certificate still faces large hurdles to come into force at all. Let’s wait and see where this all goes over the next month or two, as the last year has sadly brought the limitations of the EU structures into cold focus. But we live in hope.
I’m sorry to inform you that Europe outside of Scandinavia is unlikely to be relevant for me for the rest of the pandemic. But yes, I hope to on the other side.
Old May 1, 2021, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Owenc
The flights will still be pretty empty if only Americans are allowed in.
The flights will still be pretty empty if unvaccinated children (i.e. pretty much everyone under 16) are not allowed in.

Apparently Iceland, Europe, etc. only want adult travelers. Kudos to Greece for allowing all ages with negative test results.

Also the pithy PR statements are nice but meaningless when not accompanied by commitments to firm dates. For some places in Europe summer does not really start until schools let out at end of June (e.g. UK). That's a pretty short window for some us, as our schools are back in session the 2nd week in August. Yet another sign they clearly don't want families.
DL77 likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yet another sign they clearly don't want families.
“After spending much of the past year tending to elderly patients, doctors are seeing a clear demographic shift: young and middle-aged adults make up a growing share of the patients in COVID-19 hospital wards.”

NPR: COVID 'Doesn't Discriminate By Age': Serious Cases On The Rise In Younger Adults

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 2, 2021 at 5:57 am Reason: added URL link
Old May 2, 2021, 12:40 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The flights will still be pretty empty if unvaccinated children (i.e. pretty much everyone under 16) are not allowed in.

Apparently Iceland, Europe, etc. only want adult travelers. Kudos to Greece for allowing all ages with negative test results.

Also the pithy PR statements are nice but meaningless when not accompanied by commitments to firm dates. For some places in Europe summer does not really start until schools let out at end of June (e.g. UK). That's a pretty short window for some us, as our schools are back in session the 2nd week in August. Yet another sign they clearly don't want families.
All major touristic countries as Greece, France, Spain and Italy will be open even for families with neg test. Be sure.
the810 likes this.

Last edited by DL77; May 2, 2021 at 12:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.