Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Is there any secret to wearing a facemask for long periods of time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there any secret to wearing a facemask for long periods of time?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The secret is to determine whether you are wearing a mask seriously for your own protection or just accommodating the rules and regulations established by pettifogging bureaucrats. If in a situation where I've assessed a greater risk I wear an N95 and put up with it. If accommodating I go with a loose, two-ply medical mask that is easy to breath through.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:14 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Figured I'd chime in. N95 masks can be very comfortable if the size and shape works with your face. They can be very uncomfortable if they're not a good fit for your face.

It took me some effort, but I finally found an N95 mask that fits my face well - it's called the 3M Aura 9205. It folds flat (but the crease is horizontal so there is no discomfort around the nose). It's portable and easy to travel with.

There are also "duckbill-style" N95's, which look a bit dorky but are even more comfortable to breathe in. These are popular with people who have to speak or sing, such as teachers, musicians, or politicians who give speeches. 3M V-Flex is an example of these, they wore these in the White House at one point.

If you want to start wearing N95 masks, I'd recommend a sampler kit that has a bunch of different sizes and styles of masks instead of buying a box of masks that are uncomfortable on your face. This one is US-made: https://www.armbrustusa.com/products...sk-sampler-kit
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
if you have $ to spare, try this?
M/L size with adjustable (cloth) straps for comfort, a lot of surface area for breathability

https://www.moldex.com/product/4600-...ng-respirator/
https://www.zoro.com/moldex-n95-disp...00/i/G5060081/

otherwise try this actual XL N95 (it comes in Small, Medium/Large, XL)

https://www.zoro.com/search?fqv%3Ava...=z1%2F13&q=n95
Originally Posted by Xlr
Figured I'd chime in. N95 masks can be very comfortable if the size and shape works with your face. They can be very uncomfortable if they're not a good fit for your face.

It took me some effort, but I finally found an N95 mask that fits my face well - it's called the 3M Aura 9205. It folds flat (but the crease is horizontal so there is no discomfort around the nose). It's portable and easy to travel with.

There are also "duckbill-style" N95's, which look a bit dorky but are even more comfortable to breathe in. These are popular with people who have to speak or sing, such as teachers, musicians, or politicians who give speeches. 3M V-Flex is an example of these, they wore these in the White House at one point.

If you want to start wearing N95 masks, I'd recommend a sampler kit that has a bunch of different sizes and styles of masks instead of buying a box of masks that are uncomfortable on your face. This one is US-made: https://www.armbrustusa.com/products...sk-sampler-kit
Thanks for the advice.
I have tried duckbill before, they still don't fit my lips. But I'm guessing it is also the rest of the face fit.
Does the V-flex have little holes? It seems like it does. Doesn't air just go through that, or am I missing something?

My friend said the Honeywell is really nice except that it collects saliva inside, such that it ends up with your mouth being dripping wet. I don't know if it is just an issue with him or the design is too good that it even prevents moisture from escaping.

I ordered the sampler kit, so will try out a few different ones (rather) cheaply. Too bad there isn't a shop you can go into and try out a zillion masks. Or custom-made ones.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Thanks for the advice.
I have tried duckbill before, they still don't fit my lips. But I'm guessing it is also the rest of the face fit.
Does the V-flex have little holes? It seems like it does. Doesn't air just go through that, or am I missing something?

My friend said the Honeywell is really nice except that it collects saliva inside, such that it ends up with your mouth being dripping wet. I don't know if it is just an issue with him or the design is too good that it even prevents moisture from escaping.

I ordered the sampler kit, so will try out a few different ones (rather) cheaply. Too bad there isn't a shop you can go into and try out a zillion masks. Or custom-made ones.
It's supposed to be ultra sonically welded, so the holes shouldn't actually 'leak' air(at least not supposed to be more than 5% across the whole mask)

It's not exactly all saliva - it's moisture from your breath. Happens to many masks (depends on your personal breath/moisture level/outside temperature

https://breathe99.com/blogs/stories/...e-in-your-mask

Finding a mask with proper fit is probably best
Old Apr 23, 2022, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
The secret is to determine whether you are wearing a mask seriously for your own protection or just accommodating the rules and regulations established by pettifogging bureaucrats. If in a situation where I've assessed a greater risk I wear an N95 and put up with it. If accommodating I go with a loose, two-ply medical mask that is easy to breath through.
Right.

At the airport when I know that I'll find an area or lounge with ample social distancing, I'm going flimsy chin diaper with nose exposed style--yeah, looks stupid but I can't help but exercise some common sense. However, once I'm ready to board and, say, sitting in coach during a long flight with a bunch of pax who appear as if sick or coughing, I'll just use the 3M N95 (probably going to the ones with vents now), and even pass on the food.

Of course, if I'm lucky enough to not have a seatmate, it'll come off now. Only possible exception is if the FA is masked, then I'll keep it on to make my order, then it comes off. My issue had always been when alone in TCON F or J sans seatmate, some by the book FA would constantly impress upon me to keep it on while I doze off.
volabam likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
I read somewhere last year (possibly here on FT) about Dr. Puri kf94 masks so I bought some. By far the most comfortable mask I've owned to date. I have some of the N95's too as well as the surgical type masks. I've flown several 11+ hour flights and these worked just fine for me, though I was in J, so I let the mask slip off while sleeping.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
afaik, the mask mandate on flights and airports is gone now. Discovered this on my more recent set of flights last week where it started out with the rule being in effect and then I wondered why the FAs weren't wearing them, lol.

Still, for those that need extra protection, this thread is still going to be quite valuable. You're also finally free to now wear superior filtration systems that actually have what looks like an exposed vent or an external filter that was not allowed under previous rules. These many times breathe better and also filter better so I'd look into those too.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:54 pm

Looks like I’ll have to wear a surgical or N95 on an upcoming Lufthansa TATL flight.

What is the most comfortable mask? I absolutely do not care about protection one bit, that’s why I got 3 does of the vaccine. I want the absolute bare minimum that will meet the requirements and not be obnoxiously uncomfortable for 8 hours.
volabam likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by t325
Looks like I’ll have to wear a surgical or N95 on an upcoming Lufthansa TATL flight.

What is the most comfortable mask? I absolutely do not care about protection one bit, that’s why I got 3 does of the vaccine. I want the absolute bare minimum that will meet the requirements and not be obnoxiously uncomfortable for 8 hours.
A simple blue surgical that u can have under your nose.. Have flown Lufthansa 4 times to/from US and the crew don't really bother to comment (at least not in C). Last flight I slept 5h without mask..
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by t325

Honestly if you are just after comfort and have chosen not to use one for protection I'd rebook on an airline that lets you make that choice, at least on longhaul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.