Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Any talk of vaccines eliminating testing needs?

Old Apr 15, 21, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat

Title says it all - has anyone heard any rumors of the USA eliminating testing requirements when coming back to the US if you can show proof of vaccination?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 15, 21, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I will be fully vaccinated with the Novavax shots by mid to late May as I am in a research trial. I am hoping to avoid testing when I return from Zanzibar in mid October as I am a US citizen.
However, more and more rollout delays seem to be a global issue from both supply chain production delays as well as pauses from complications from several of the current EUA vaccines.
Old Apr 15, 21, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
Title says it all - has anyone heard any rumors of the USA eliminating testing requirements when coming back to the US if you can show proof of vaccination?
I sincerely doubt it.

Although we do have test waivers for recent recovered covid positives. What the difference is between that and vaccination is beyond me.
Old Apr 15, 21, 5:52 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ryman554 View Post
I sincerely doubt it.

Although we do have test waivers for recent recovered covid positives. What the difference is between that and vaccination is beyond me.
Lets use an example of another illness and see if we have eliminated testing.

Flu
When someone comes down with the flu, we still test for it even though we have vaccinations for the virus. Testing not only allows us to calculate the incidence of the virus but also determine the variants in circulation.

I cannot see why Covid-19 will be any different.

So the simple answer is no. Testing will continue. What will change is how we test and whether "home testing " will come into being. Stay tuned
Old Apr 15, 21, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
I wish .. taking away the testing requirement for fully vaccinated travelers coming into the USA would help the travel industry and would help tourism in the USA.
MSPeconomist and FMDXR like this.
Old Apr 15, 21, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by ryman554 View Post
The test waiver exists only because some people who had COVID still test positive for weeks or months after fully recovering. It would be impossible for such a person to produce a negative test.
Old Apr 15, 21, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM, MR/SPG LT Plat
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
Lets use an example of another illness and see if we have eliminated testing.

Flu
When someone comes down with the flu, we still test for it even though we have vaccinations for the virus. Testing not only allows us to calculate the incidence of the virus but also determine the variants in circulation.

I cannot see why Covid-19 will be any different.

So the simple answer is no. Testing will continue. What will change is how we test and whether "home testing " will come into being. Stay tuned
The USA does not test every returning passenger for flu.🙄 That is what OP is reasonably asking. NOT about testing in general

Proof of vax should be sufficient for covid. And we donít do that for flu.
Old Apr 15, 21, 9:16 pm

Have not heard of any such talk, but that is exactly what should happen for vaccinated people
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 21, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I think it will happen when vaccination numbers go up enough and cases come down enough, but the CDC, Fauci, etc. will fight it tooth and nail, so it will take a while. I'll say 3 months, but that's just a guess/wishful thinking.
enviroian and bchandler02 like this.
Old Apr 16, 21, 2:10 am

Programs: LH SEN
Given vaccination does not provide 100% infection prevention I don't see how testing requirements will be relaxed until community prevalence and spread is closer to elimination.

I am much more pessimistic than LETTERBOY as I think the US vaccination program, while moving swiftly now, is going to hit a wall of anti-vax and vax-hesitant resistance and herd immunity will remain out of reach.

And for international travel the struggling vaccine campaigns in the EU, let alone poorer countries/regions, will mean border restrictions will be slow to lift and testing requirements will likely remain in place no matter the traveler's vaccination status.
Old Apr 16, 21, 2:49 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by sweetsleep View Post
I will be fully vaccinated with the Novavax shots by mid to late May as I am in a research trial.
This highlights another problem with the vaccination program and use of vaccination for anything other than it's public health value. There is a general assumption that all people vaccinated are same and all vaccines are equivalent. The Novavax is not even available in USA outside clinical trials. There are other such vaccines which have been administered to hundreds of millions of vaccinated people worldwide. All these vaccines have varying levels of effectiveness. Even in USA currently there are three vaccines and it is unlikely they are equivalent.

To use vaccination as a substitute for testing in international travel will require a definition of what vaccination means. There would probably then have to be 1) an approved list of vaccines and/or 2) another test that proves that the vaccination actually resulted in immunity in that person (such as a vaccine specific antibody test). As the CDC reported this week few thousands of the millions vaccinated people are still suffering from COVID, so being vaccinated certainly doesn't eliminate the risk to the degree one can assume all vaccinated people are covid negative. It is also not yet established whether or not, and also how easily, a vaccinated person can transmit COVID-19.
Old Apr 16, 21, 7:24 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by ani90 View Post
This highlights another problem with the vaccination program and use of vaccination for anything other than it's public health value. There is a general assumption that all people vaccinated are same and all vaccines are equivalent. The Novavax is not even available in USA outside clinical trials. There are other such vaccines which have been administered to hundreds of millions of vaccinated people worldwide. All these vaccines have varying levels of effectiveness. Even in USA currently there are three vaccines and it is unlikely they are equivalent.

To use vaccination as a substitute for testing in international travel will require a definition of what vaccination means. There would probably then have to be 1) an approved list of vaccines and/or 2) another test that proves that the vaccination actually resulted in immunity in that person (such as a vaccine specific antibody test). As the CDC reported this week few thousands of the millions vaccinated people are still suffering from COVID, so being vaccinated certainly doesn't eliminate the risk to the degree one can assume all vaccinated people are covid negative. It is also not yet established whether or not, and also how easily, a vaccinated person can transmit COVID-19.
The CDC says I can travel, without testing, between Florida and Minnesota.
How is that different from flying to/from the UK - another country with their own vaccines, sure, but with comparable vaccination levels.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 16, 21, 8:14 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
The CDC says I can travel, without testing, between Florida and Minnesota.
How is that different from flying to/from the UK - another country with their own vaccines, sure, but with comparable vaccination levels.
Sorry
The USA's CDC does not control the UK's PHS in regards to permission to travel or enter the country.

The UK PHS may use information from the USA's CDC to make evaluations, but as we have seen, decisions are entirely within the former's discretion and not the latter's
the810 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 21, 8:21 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by supine View Post
And for international travel the struggling vaccine campaigns in the EU, let alone poorer countries/regions, will mean border restrictions will be slow to lift and testing requirements will likely remain in place no matter the traveler's vaccination status.
I 100% agree with you.

I do feel lucky to be in the US and to be able to get vaccine. It seems the vaccine rollout is going well where I am at and if you want one you can get one. I have a friend in Southeast Asia and they got the first person in their country vaccinated only a month ago and they are having a difficult time with supplies. There no way that international travel can ever go back to any sense of being normal if we don't get every country access to vaccines. I can't see the US and EU being vaccinated while other counties struggle... its like putting the fire out in your kitchen but having your next store neighbors house in flames... and by the way you share a joint wall. I hope the international community really steps up with COVAX so the world can return to normal.
Old Apr 16, 21, 9:19 am
Suspended

being as vaccination doesn't prevent you from catching or spreading COVID and now they are saying you need new shots every 6mo (lol), don't bank on it. You'll prob still need to take tests everywhere.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: