Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

What if I book a flight but destination country does not allow Americans in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Hi.

We are planning to fly from the USA to France this July using Chase UR points.
I think there is a good chance that France will not accept visitors from the USA this summer due to COVID restrictions; however, these policies are constantly changing.
I called Chase UR, and was told (after a lot of beating around the bush), that though I am a Sapphire Reserve member, Chase will not reimburse my points if France decides I cannot enter (I am a US citizen).
The airlines seem to only offer free change of travel plans, which is not very useful to us.

I'm reticent to buy my ticket, knowing that the best I can hope for if France closes its border to Americans is a travel voucher.

Are any of you savvy travelers aware of any way around this, to be able to securely buy my flight (preferably with miles, or even with dollars), and know that if France closes its doors to Americans in July I can be reimbursed?

We also have frequent flier points with several airlines.

Thanks in advance,
protagonist
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Check each airline policy, but with AF you can have a voucher or be reimbursed.
Do not be sure that France will not accept Americans this summer. Nobody knows and I hope we will welcome Americans (and that we will be welcomed in the US) !
BearX220 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:58 pm

Buy refundable tickets or use a FFP which does refund miles tickets for a small fee (most FFPs allow this).
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You’ll get a travel voucher. It’s not the airline’s fault if you can’t enter, so be prepared to accept either that or wait to book until the last minute. More pragmatically, I doubt a vacation in France in July is going to happen, so I would avoid the aggravation.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by red star
Buy refundable tickets or use a FFP which does refund miles tickets for a small fee (most FFPs allow this).
From what I see, few if any airlines offer refundable tickets. Do you know of any?
I will look into the FFP option....thanks....
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Chase is effectively an OLTA in this scenario. OP would be at the mercy of Chase (rather than the airline) for any changes or refunds except for IROPs on the day of travel. Unless it's explicit in Chase's T&Cs, there's no obligation to give a voucher or credit.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:20 pm

Op should look into transferring points to one of the many UR airline partners, and then booking an award flight.
GUWonder and Brandinho1 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by protagonist
From what I see, few if any airlines offer refundable tickets. Do you know of any?
I will look into the FFP option....thanks....
All airlines sell refundable tickets, but in non-Covid times, those are at t( most expensive fares usually (with the exception of some corporate fares). But in Covid times, many fares are flex. You need to check with each airline.
With AFKL, all tickets are modifiable and refundable since the beginning of the pandemic, even the « light/basic » fares.
lobo411 and 84fiero like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

And another recommendation : book direct with the airline and not through an OTA. You will have less hassles if you come to have to cancel your trip.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's problem is that he has Chase UR points. Those can only be booked through the Chase OTA which purchases the tickets and takes the points as payment. The points may be transferable to a carrier, typically at an unfavorable rate, and OP could then book through the carrier's FFP.

But, the bottom line is that if he books through the Chase OTA, he is stuck with the rules of that program. Rather than calling and relying on a phone agent, I would carefully review the rules. It may be that there is a manageable fee or some other opportunity if OP chooses to cancel.

But, the bottom line is that so long as the carrier operates the flight, it has no obligation to refund the ticket unless it is a refundable ticket.

Given the uncertainty, this may not be the year to use the points.
lobo411, bon mot and channonc like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
But, the bottom line is that so long as the carrier operates the flight, it has no obligation to refund the ticket unless it is a refundable ticket.
also, if you decide to buy a flight on Air Canada (eg USA-Canada-France) and AirCanada cancels the flight due to covid, good luck getting stuck with a travel credit

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33159503-post1470.html
lobo411 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by paperwastage
also, if you decide to buy a flight on Air Canada (eg USA-Canada-France) and AirCanada cancels the flight due to covid, good luck getting stuck with a travel credit

The Chase TA administering its program will refund the points and any cash for taxes & fees if any segment is cancelled by the carrier. Required by US law.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by paperwastage

Old news. AC just signed an agreement with Canadian government agreeing to refund for all cancelled flights.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Flying blue allowes you to cancel reward bookings for full refunds atm.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by protagonist
We also have frequent flier points with several airlines.
I'd check the latest award cancel and redeposit fees for the programs with which you have miles/points. Most are fairly reasonable or sometimes free to cancel award tickets.

Originally Posted by lobo411
Op should look into transferring points to one of the many UR airline partners, and then booking an award flight.
Yes, not sure of all of their current policies offhand but UA's looks to be suitable for OP.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Originally Posted by Often1
OP's problem is that he has Chase UR points. Those can only be booked through the Chase OTA which purchases the tickets and takes the points as payment. The points may be transferable to a carrier, typically at an unfavorable rate, and OP could then book through the carrier's FFP.
Chase UR points can be transferred to 10 different airline FFPs, all at a 1:1 ratio. Transfers to partners are, in fact, often the best value use of UR points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.