Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Best places where they are least concerned about Covid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best places where they are least concerned about Covid

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I want to travel this summer and I don’t want to be tangled up in Covid [mod edit]. I’m thinking maybe Mexico or Costa Rica. I would like to go to the mountains. Do you have any ideas? The country that doesn’t require quarantines or anything like that.

Probably just Costa Rica or Mexico ...
747-800i likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 11, 2021 at 3:54 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 11, 2021, 5:55 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
This map may help provide some additional options:
https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions

Last edited by TTT; Apr 12, 2021 at 7:05 am
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:52 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
You could get into Sweden via some EU locations. While I wouldn't say they aren't concerned about covid, they take a more pragmatic approach and the restrictions are very mild, possibly the least restrictive in the world - no masks and almost everything open. The only annoying thing for a tourist is that restaurants close at 20:30. You could do some hiking up north during the polar day, it should be a magical experience (I plan to do it around the summer solstice).
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by the810; Apr 12, 2021 at 11:36 am
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by the810
You could get into Sweden via some EU locations. Why I wouldn't say they aren't concerned about covid, they take a more pragmatic approach and the restrictions are very mild, possibly the least restrictive in the world - no masks and almost everything open. The only annoying thing for a tourist is that restaurants close at 20:30. You could do some hiking up north during the polar day, it should be a magical experience (I plan to do it around the summer solstice).
great idea. Thank you.

Originally Posted by TTT
This may may help provide some additional options:
https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions
thank you.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 12, 2021 at 1:49 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Tanzania -- in the southern hemisphere but not too far from being equitorial -- was in large part. But maybe the country did a turn in approach after the country's leader died with Covid-19 following his extensive history of downplaying the risks from Covid-19.
:D! and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Tanzania -- in the southern hemisphere but not too far from being equitorial -- was in large part. But maybe the country did a turn in approach after the country's leader died with Covid-19 following his extensive history of downplaying the risks from Covid-19.
Tanzania is a little short of mountains. Except for one, of course (or two, according to Monty Python) .
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by red star
Tanzania is a little short of mountains. Except for one, of course (or two, according to Monty Python) .
lol. Michael Palin did have a travel show.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Tanzania has more than just the highest mountain in Africa with the dormant volcano that is Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Originally Posted by richard
lol. Michael Palin did have a travel show.
Did he cover the Udzungwa Mountains and the Kipengere Range, the latter known as the Livingstone Mountains? They are in Tanzania.
:D! likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone who likes mountains very well might like that big one. Note that it is purely a trek, generally no skills required and no equipment beyond cold weather gear. Occasionally you need something on the order of microspikes. You do need to be in decent shape, though.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
I have a friend in Bangladesh who says most people there don’t wear masks, and the media almost never report on Covid.
the810 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:49 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
I have a friend in Bangladesh who says most people there don’t wear masks, and the media almost never report on Covid.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
generally speaking, places with significant mortality from, say, malaria, yellow fever of bubonic plague seem to worry less about covid
Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: Tunnocks Tea Cake Platinum
Egypt. Despite what the laws saw nobody wears masks and there's no such thing as social distancing. Everything open. I was there for a month and it was like stepping back in time to a world before Covid. Didn't even hear the word Covid in all the time I was there.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by the810
You could get into Sweden via some EU locations. While I wouldn't say they aren't concerned about covid, they take a more pragmatic approach and the restrictions are very mild, possibly the least restrictive in the world - no masks and almost everything open.
Sweden currently has the highest infection rate in Europe, literally ten times higher than neighbouring Finland.

Sweden has highest new Covid cases per person in Europe | Sweden | The Guardian
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:02 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Misco60
Sweden currently has the highest infection rate in Europe, literally ten times higher than neighbouring Finland.

Sweden has highest new Covid cases per person in Europe | Sweden | The Guardian
And? OP haven't asked about a place with low infection rates but a place with few restrictions. Sweden is currently going through a major wave, following some attempts to deviate from its original strategy, but deaths remains low for the time being. There are no indications that the government is planning to tighten the measures, their recent statements suggest they understand they already went a bit too far with restrictions.
Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by the810; Apr 13, 2021 at 7:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.