Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Best places where they are least concerned about Covid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best places where they are least concerned about Covid

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Texas. Wide open.

Baseball anyone?
LETTERBOY and VCURamFan like this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:00 am
Suspended

I don't really understand baseball but I wouldn't mind a few weeks going round the steak houses.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Coming from the UK, via Mexico, and currently in Northern California, I would say that there are fewer restrictions here. Everything is largely open and there’s little evidence of mandatory temperature taking or hand hygiene.
Where is here? UK, Mexico or Northern CA?

Originally Posted by wrp96
More of the restrictions don't help and COVID's not really that big of a deal anyways.
https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n800

The situation in Brazil argues against both of your points.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 4, 2021 at 3:55 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 14, 2021, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by snic
https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n800

The situation in Brazil argues against both of your points.
I think you missed what I was saying. I was indicating that, based on his other posts, the OP isn't planning on getting vaccinated and is looking for places with low restrictions because he thinks COVID is not a big deal and the restrictions are unnecessary. Not that I thought that way.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Well it's 9pm and I just got home from a bar in Stockholm. Had a nice evening but the 8.30 closing kicked in. As long as you don't mind being tucked into bed with a scotch and coke hot cocoa at 9pm this is not a bad place to be.
Silver Fox, LETTERBOY and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
Florida. People are happy and enjoying their lives and enjoying seeing other humans.
Originally Posted by TheOneThatGotAway
Florida was wonderful. I spent nearly 3 months there in the winter and it was great.
Yep, Florida is great. Everyone I met on a trip there for business knew at least one relative that had died from it and either had it themselves or their spouse did. YMMV.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SamirD
Yep, Florida is great. Everyone I met on a trip there for business knew at least one relative that had died from it and either had it themselves or their spouse did. YMMV.
Hmm. Strange. I only ever knew one person who had it. He coughed and spluttered for a day or two and then he was fine. We ended up getting drunk together in a craft beer outlet in Stockholm a couple of weeks later.
Silver Fox, LETTERBOY and the810 like this.

Last edited by TheOneThatGotAway; Apr 14, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:01 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TheOneThatGotAway
Hmm. Strange. I only ever knew one person who had it. He coughed and spluttered for a day or two and then he was fine. We ended up getting drunk together in a craft beer outlet in Stockholm a couple of weeks later.
Bars are arguably among the safest places right now, given that most of their visitors are the so-called irresponsible people, who must have had covid by now
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:33 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay1101
Agree - many of those back-slapping themselves and laughing at Sweden fail to acknowledge that their excess death rate vis-a-vis the UK and most of Europe is lower. It's strange what happens when you start to look at unnecessary deaths full-stop, versus those instigated by one viral cause... (https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-m...cess-mortality)
Sweden excess deaths relatives to historical data for the same date: just under 20%, more than Netherlands, Austria, Hungary, France, Germany, Greece, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Island. So definitely not lower than most of Europe.
Also mortality per capita is high. I think you do not understand what excess death rate represents ?
Here are the actual numbers:

https://www.strategie.gouv.fr/sites/...s_-_28-0_0.pdf

In Sweden, there are been 15.5% more deaths than expected based on the last years. (Table 1)

https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-...c-cbdf5b386938

And to help the OP, in Nordic countries, based on stringency index, the one with the less restrictions and more normality would be Finland.

8420PR likes this.

Last edited by fransknorge; Apr 15, 2021 at 6:58 am
Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Sweden excess deaths relatives to historical data for the same date: just under 20%, more than Netherlands, Austria, Hungary, France, Germany, Greece, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Island. So definitely not lower than most of Europe.
Also mortality per capita is high. I think you do not understand what excess death rate represents ?
Here are the actual numbers:

https://www.strategie.gouv.fr/sites/...s_-_28-0_0.pdf

In Sweden, there are been 15.5% more deaths than expected based on the last years. (Table 1)

https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-...c-cbdf5b386938

And to help the OP, in Nordic countries, based on stringency index, the one with the less restrictions and more normality would be Norway.

Cleanup on aisle 3 please....aka, stick to other threads with all this as it is off topic. Hopefully the mods will deal with this with the vigour attached to the covid threads proper.
LETTERBOY, the810 and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by richard
I want to travel this summer and I don’t want to be tangled up in Covid [mod edit]. I’m thinking maybe Mexico or Costa Rica. I would like to go to the mountains. Do you have any ideas? The country that doesn’t require quarantines or anything like that.

Probably just Costa Rica or Mexico ...
Costa Rica wants US visitors to provide proof of insurance covering Covid-19-related medical treatment in Costa Rica and any ordered quarantine lodging while in Costa Rica. And they want an online "health pass" completed 48 hours prior to travel to Costa Rica.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
And to help the OP, in Nordic countries, based on stringency index, the one with the less restrictions and more normality would be Finland.
Although I would say that Finland does not actually fit the description of "least concerned about Covid" given that there has been number of actions like closing various places like restaurants, bars, gyms, cinemas etc. Granted, number of the measures to curb the pandemic in Finland has been more of recommendations than strict requirements. But one of the stricter restrictions has been the entry policy on Finnish borders: unless you are Finnish citizen/resident, you better have a good excuse to get in. Vacation is certainly not included on the list of the valid excuses as the most recent changes ruled out even non-essential work visits, which apparently surprised some construction workers from the Baltics who were denied entry despite that they had been contracted to work in construction sites in Finland.
esledo likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Anyone claiming that Finland had fewer restrictions than Sweden must be living on another planet. Finland has repeatedly closed restaurants and other parts of economy. They even had domestic travel restrictions in place at certain times, e.g. banning people from leaving Uusimaa region. This kind of restrictions is completely unthinkable in Sweden. Fransknorge gave us a fine example of what happens when someone tries to read data they don't understand.
LETTERBOY and esledo like this.

Last edited by the810; Apr 15, 2021 at 8:45 am
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Back on topic for the OP,
My friends and I (we are US citizens, some with other passports)are going to Tanzania in late September and while all of us will be fully vaccinated we chose to go there due to no Covid testing in order to arrive nor quarantine! That was a huge factor in our decision to go as all of us have visited the continent many times and this was a no brainer for us to book.
Kilimanjaro is not the only mountain there but to do that safely you should consider going with an official group tour and Tanzania pretty much requires this in order to stay safe and to ensure employment and decent wages to the amazing citizens who do this.
There are other mountains quite close to Arusha(the closest city from arriving into the Kili airport) and you can easily book day or overnight trips to climb Mt. Meru and likely other hills and mountains.
We booked our lodging through an excellent travel agency based in Cape Town and every trip they have curated for us has been phenomenal. It is small wonder they have been a #1 travel agency in Africa for many years.
the810 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by 747-800i
Can a mod clean this thread up? It's turned into a bunch of hysterical, overly cautious people presenting their feelings as facts and in no way answering the OP's question. For the OP, Mexico DOES indeed seem like a good bet for what you're seeking.
If we are limiting this thread to just names of countries that you can go to, I believe we have that information available in the first sticky of this forum

General Coronavirus-related travel resources

So if that is the case, then what is the point of this thread??

I suspect that people want to talk about the pros and cons of traveling to various countries. Those will include the "hysterical" and "overly cautious" as well as the "reckless" and "unconcerned" comments espoused by various posters.

Support groups say it best
"Take what you want and leave the rest"

It's why we have threads.
northinsouth likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.