Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

"Travelers recount tales of getting stuck in Mexico after positive COVID-19 tests"

"Travelers recount tales of getting stuck in Mexico after positive COVID-19 tests"

Old Mar 30, 21, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT

Apologies if this was posted somewhere already -- there are some interesting anecdotes here from Americans who tested positive on pre-flight COVID-19 tests while vacationing in Mexico.

'I can't believe this is happening': Travelers recount tales of getting stuck in Mexico after positive COVID-19 tests
Old Mar 30, 21, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by metallo View Post
Apologies if this was posted somewhere already -- there are some interesting anecdotes here from Americans who tested positive on pre-flight COVID-19 tests while vacationing in Mexico.

'I can't believe this is happening': Travelers recount tales of getting stuck in Mexico after positive COVID-19 tests
Not at all surprising when the news broke recently that COVID deaths in Mexico were under-reported by 60%. If they had required inbound tourists to get tested like every other country on earth (eventually) did, the scale of the destruction would have been considerably lower. Having taken two trips abroad in the last year, I did not hesitate in booking insurance for this exact reason. I also knew full well what the risks were and was completely prepared to deal with the consequences of my decision. It was painfully obvious to anyone paying attention that these resorts were just one big covid party. Hopefully, the staff at these places will be able to get vaccinated before their immunity from their previous exposure wears off, since the government clearly is not bothered by its status atop the COVID death podium.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Mar 30, 21, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I too find it hard to be very sympathetic. "We were doing all of the regular touristy things and hitting the bars and restaurants and I just don't understand how I could have caught it, especially in the 3rd world country with a barely-functioning health care system/government on a good day". I guess that next pandemic, stick to Florida?
Old Mar 30, 21, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This was surely just the tip of the iceberg in terms of US persons who found themselves with a positive Covid-19 test result in Mexico. We will never know how many of those who ended up in such a situation in Mexico decided to figure out other ways to travel back to the US and traveled around when they really should have been sheltering in place in Mexico upon discovering that they had become a positive test case for Covid-19.
EuropeanPete, wrp96 and Often1 like this.
Old Mar 30, 21, 4:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Bombay Plat, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Two additional weeks in a sunny resort with free room service. Must have been unbearable.
Old Mar 30, 21, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by catocony View Post
I too find it hard to be very sympathetic. "We were doing all of the regular touristy things and hitting the bars and restaurants and I just don't understand how I could have caught it, especially in the 3rd world country with a barely-functioning health care system/government on a good day". I guess that next pandemic, stick to Florida?
Yah, Miami and Lauderdale sound real safe.
downinit, wrp96 and GUWonder like this.
Old Mar 30, 21, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Two additional weeks in a sunny resort with free room service. Must have been unbearable.
Were they free to hang out at the pool with the rest of the crowd after being sent back to "two additional weeks in a sunny resort with free room service"?
I am pretty certain that being stuck inside an "included" hotel room to quarantine -- even with free room service -- is neither all that sunny nor my idea of fun. Being stuck at home sounds way better to me than possibly being stuck indoors inside a drab room for two weeks.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 21, 5:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Bombay Plat, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Were they free to hang out at the pool with the rest of the crowd after being sent back to "two additional weeks in a sunny resort with free room service"?
I am pretty certain that being stuck inside an "included" hotel room to quarantine -- even with free room service -- is neither all that sunny nor my idea of fun. Being stuck at home sounds way better to me than possibly being stuck indoors inside a drab room for two weeks.
Well, either way, I wouldn't want to contract COVID to test the experience.

My original comment was more directed toward the content of the linked article....I mean, if one is going to write what is clearly intended to be a "cautionary" tale, one has got to be able to come up with "tales" that include far worse circumstances than symptom-free COVID, luxury hotel rooms, and free food.
ewoo, wrp96, Markie and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 21, 5:54 pm

Some resorts have rooms set aside free of charge for people that need to be quarantined. Room service, but no liquor and no leaving the room. Thee resort we usually go to even have guards at the entrances to the building. Not something I would want but some say free vacation in paradise.
Old Mar 30, 21, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
This was surely just the tip of the iceberg in terms of US persons who found themselves with a positive Covid-19 test result in Mexico. We will never know how many of those who ended up in such a situation in Mexico decided to figure out other ways to travel back to the US and traveled around when they really should have been sheltering in place in Mexico upon discovering that they had become a positive test case for Covid-19.
I hear that getting back to the US is easy if you're willing to get your feet wet.
Old Mar 30, 21, 6:59 pm

Shrug. From the article:

Mexico tourism and hotel officials say the rate of positive tests among travelers since the new testing requirement went into effect is minimal. The Grand at Moon Palace, a luxury all-inclusive resort in Cancun, has had no more than 10 cases, according to Cesar Fallardi, director of operations. Together with sister Palace Resorts, the rate is 0.4% he said.

"It's nothing, honestly, nothing,'' he said.

In Los Cabos, another popular beach destination in Mexico, Pueblo Bonito's five resorts have had 23 positive results out of 8,196 tests, according to marketing director Mary Van Den Heuvel.
Summary: a clickbait-y article designed to grab eyeballs around spring break season.
Old Mar 30, 21, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Agree. I found the article interesting, because I haven't really seen firsthand accounts posted anywhere else of what the experience is like if one tests positive in Mexico. It certainly seems highly variable and based on the resort, rather than any sort of public health/government policy.

Out of curiosity, I recently called to inquire at a couple of different Mexican hotels myself. It was tough to get straight answers -- one hotel in Punta Mita that offers on-site testing wouldn't really give specifics, other than saying they had discounted rooms available for quarantine. However, when I asked directly how they've handled past cases of positive tests, they made it very clear -- "Oh, we've actually never had anyone test positive here."

Originally Posted by lobo411 View Post
Shrug...
Summary: a clickbait-y article designed to grab eyeballs around spring break season.
Perhaps... but I searched and couldn't really find accounts of people's experiences on FT or elsewhere, so while the article might be clickbait, the stories seem genuine, and I found it interesting to see how positive tests are being handled by hotels.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 21, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
I hear that getting back to the US is easy if you're willing to get your feet wet.
Some Americans might find the experience of having to take a domestic Mexican flight to Tijuana just to be able to walk across the border to avoid the pre-flight testing requirement (one of the scenarios described in the linked article) just as objectionable!
Old Mar 30, 21, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
the article lists a more complicated way, but no need to get feet wet

One family went to Cabo, then tested before their return flight to the US and ended up testing positive but asymptomatic. They tested 3 times and all 3 were positive.

The airline said they could fly based on the CDCís guidance after 14 days isolation.

(instead of waiting 14 days) So, they ended up flying from Cabo to Tijuana, and then walked across the border (you buy a ticket to do so) and then flew home to Kentucky from San Diego. No one tested them during that process. Here is a pic of the airport so you can see the border and the sky bridge.
wonder which airline flew them SanDiego-Kentucky, they should get banned
Old Mar 30, 21, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk View Post
Yah, Miami and Lauderdale sound real safe.
I think you missed the sarcasm...
Need likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: