Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Countries open to vaccinated travelers and entry requirements

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 7, 21, 1:37 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: kthomas
Wiki Link
France - From June 9th, Green, Orange, Red system. Travelers arriving from green countries must be vaccinated, orange must be vaccinated and tested, red may enter only for compelling reasons.

Georgia - Citizens of all countries, traveling by air from any country may enter Georgia if they present the document confirming the full course (two doses) of any COVID-19 vaccination at the border checkpoints of Georgia. more info

Greece - Fully vaccinated individuals who are residents of the U.S., EU, and certain other countries may enter Greece without a PCR test if they present a vaccination certificate. The vaccination certificate must be in English, issued by a public authority, and demonstrate that vaccination was completed at least 14 days before arrival to Greece. However, PCR tests may still be required for transit points. more info

Iceland - The Minister of Justice of Iceland has decided that the previously announced decision to exempt from travel restrictions those who can provide proof of vaccination or prior infection will take effect on 6 April. The change in regulation will allow travellers from non-Schengen countries, who meet the criteria, to travel to Iceland for non-essential reasons. more info

TPG-maintained list of countries accepting vaccination certificate

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 16, 21, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite

Separating out a thread specific to traveling after being vaccinated. This list was provided in the US tourists post wiki:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/count...re-vaccinated/
Old Mar 16, 21, 4:03 pm

A very meager list at this point, especially for people still excluded from the EU. Hopefully, it will start to expand once the noise surrounding AZ dissipates and Europe resumes their vaccination efforts.
Old Mar 16, 21, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, and lots of "US citizens still not allowed" in the list. I have 2 weeks of PTO coming up in may that was again used for another (soon-to-be-cancelled) Japan trip. Deciding what to do with my time. Thailand is interesting, and I could make the 7 day quarantine work, but still hoping (however unlikely) that something in the Schengen zone will open up.
Old Mar 16, 21, 4:18 pm

I was hoping to hit up somewhere in the Balkans for Memorial Day, but the current surge in that region is quite dire. There is no telling what the situation will be in two months, and most of the TATL flights that are bookable for May are on flight numbers that are currently inactive or routes that have not been flown in several months. About the only other option for me is the Caribbean, which is not going to do much for me as I need to earn some miles on this trip.
Old Mar 16, 21, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

I spent a couple weeks in Dubrovnik last October and passed through Bosnia on the way up to Split and spent a little time there. Wouldn't mind spending a bit more time in Bosnia, but really hoping Estonia opens up to US citizens now that they're accepting vaccinated tourists (just not from the US currently). Georgia and Ukraine are possibilities too, but I think they're open, vaccine or not. Other hopes are Bulgaria and Romania, two places I would absolutely love to visit.
Old Mar 16, 21, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
What's up with the no Americans allowed to enter? Vaccine is a vaccine. What am I missing? Too bad they don't want our travel dollars to be spent (by a vaccinated American tourist).

Old Mar 16, 21, 6:54 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by seigex View Post
Yeah, and lots of "US citizens still not allowed" in the list. I have 2 weeks of PTO coming up in may that was again used for another (soon-to-be-cancelled) Japan trip. Deciding what to do with my time. Thailand is interesting, and I could make the 7 day quarantine work, but still hoping (however unlikely) that something in the Schengen zone will open up.
I suggest you wait until Thailand removes quarantine requirements entirely. In the Covid thread of Thailand forum there is a story of a guy who tested positive several days after arrival and from the hotel he was moved to hospital despite having no symptoms and spent two weeks there as well. Then he was told the test they are using is ‘extremely sensitive’ and will test positive if someone has virus in past or is vaccinated with a vaccine which uses inactivated virus. Considering that hospital stay runs $1k per day and higher the insurance might refuse to cover it if you are asymptomatic with all the consequences.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 16, 21, 7:10 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Regarding the list. Georgia seems is the only country in the world allowing unconditional entry regardless of citizenship or where you are coming from with vaccination proof.
Old Mar 16, 21, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
I suggest you wait until Thailand removes quarantine requirements entirely. In the Covid thread of Thailand forum there is a story of a guy who tested positive several days after arrival and from the hotel he was moved to hospital despite having no symptoms and spent two weeks there as well. Then he was told the test they are using is ‘extremely sensitive’ and will test positive if someone has virus in past or is vaccinated with a vaccine which uses inactivated virus. Considering that hospital stay runs $1k per day and higher the insurance might refuse to cover it if you are asymptomatic with all the consequences.
Wow i'll check that out, thanks for the heads up. Definitely cause for concern.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 16, 21, 10:34 pm

Programs: Radisson Platinum, SAS Nothing, SJ Prio Grey
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
What's up with the no Americans allowed to enter? Vaccine is a vaccine. What am I missing? Too bad they don't want our travel dollars to be spent (by a vaccinated American tourist).

There is no consensus among EU member states that vaccine should waive the entry restrictions and some major players are against it (e.g. Germany and France), thus the external border remains closed. Those member states that have a different opinion are lifting restrictions on the internal border as this is their individual decision that doesn't need to be coordinated with others.

External border is likely to reopen when the situation with covid in Europe improves to the point that most member states are happy to accept tourists. Traveller's vaccination status is likely to remain irrelevant for the purposes of entry into the EU.
Old Mar 17, 21, 3:06 am

If I have understood correctly the current information is still that although the vaccinated people won't get the illness (or at least in serious form), it may be possible that they can still carry the virus and thus may infect other people (at least those who haven't yet got vaccination). Thus as long as there isn't reliable study that proves otherwise, it is safer to restrict entry from countries with high infection rates and USA happens to be such country despite that vaccinations obviously are improving the situation.
artemis and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Mar 17, 21, 6:57 am

All of the countries with this restriction are in the EU, which still has a blanket ban on people from the USA traveling for leisure. This is reciprocal, as Trump placed the same restrictions on travelers from the EU. Hopefully, Biden and the EU will get this absurd barrier taken down soon if the vaccinations finally start to resume in the EU. There are quite a few vaccinated Americans hoping spend thousands of $$$ in Europe this summer, and I am sure the feeling is mutual for many in the EU. Of course, the bad news keeps piling up, as now there may be a variant that defies detection in testing in France.
artemis, lobo411, Owenc and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 21, 7:01 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Iceland to open to vaccinated visitors

Iceland will open its borders to vaccinated foreigners from Thursday, making the north Atlantic island one of the first countries in the world to reopen to tourists after coronavirus.

Iceland’s government had already allowed vaccinated travellers from the EU to enter without quarantine, but the new decision means visitors from its main tourist destinations of the US and UK will be allowed to enter.

Visitors to Iceland will have to show proof of full vaccination from a jab that has been approved by the European Medicines Agency, which currently excludes vaccines from China — a significant source of tourists to the country — as well as Russia’s Sputnik V.
https://www.ft.com/content/c41ba74d-...8-d106217b6786

Also check https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/p...k_to_be_accep/
Old Mar 17, 21, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
I think countries with strong focus on tourism, such as Greece, Spain, Croatia will accept tourists from US, if they have a vaccination certificate or a negative COVID test. A lot of decisions will be made by individual countries. We already see this with some countries accepting Israeli tourists, that have been vaccinated and saying they will welcome British tourists from May, as long as they have been vaccinated or have a negative test. I think you just have to keep an eye on the local updates
lobo411, LETTERBOY and DL77 like this.
Old Mar 17, 21, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Click bait blogs may point you in a direction, but better to check your specific status in TIMATIC as that is what your air carrier will look at when you try to board (and reflects what the border people will consider on arrival).

How countries "open" and "close" is a function not only of science, but risk. Those in economic distress and heavily dependent on tourism may well permit travel when the science suggests otherwise. As is very clear, there is little to no scientific evidence as of yet that those who are 2+ weeks past the second dose (of 2-dose regimen) vaccines do not shed the virus. Hopefully that will come in time.

In the meantime, if one is traveling for leisure, need to consider one's own risk and whether one is willing to take it for a leisure trip.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: