Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Can EU residents enter France from the UK?

Old Mar 3, 21, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

I'm moving back home (France) with my girlfriend, we have to travel from the UK to France.
Does anyone know what the "essential reasons" to travel mean? As I'm French, I think I can enter. But she's not French, she is an EU resident. Will she be able to enter for the purpose of "moving to France with my French partner"?

Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 21, 4:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
If you’re leaving the U.K. and not coming back then I am sure this is a reasonable excuse as a French passport holder. I think entering the U.K. is the concern more so than leaving for good.

Moving home is still permissible in England.

You’d have to check with France about entering.

just checked the U.K. gov site and this is stated:

• Only the following categories of people are authorised to travel to France from the UK:
  1. French nationals and nationals of the European Area and their spouses and children
  2. British and/or third country nationals who are either habitually resident in France, the European Union or the European Area, or who must travel for certain essential reasons (as set out in the criteria for exemptions listed on the international travel certificate). For travel to France from the UK, this can be found under the tab ‘Travel to/from a country outside the European Area’. In exceptional circumstances, the French Consulate in London may be able to assist with travel for an essential reason not listed on the international travel certificate.
The now common testing before etc will no doubt apply as well as quarantining.

I’m sure others will advise too. Good luck with the move.

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Mar 3, 21 at 4:56 pm
Old Mar 4, 21, 4:56 am

I actually have a similar question, kind of.

Flying from South Africa, and looking to transit through France to get home, wondering if we need to comply with the 7 day French isolation if we are not staying in France, and if they allow us to fly if our compelling reason is to return to a home not in France.
Old Mar 4, 21, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Barbs1 View Post

Flying from South Africa, and looking to transit through France to get home, wondering if we need to comply with the 7 day French isolation if we are not staying in France, and if they allow us to fly if our compelling reason is to return to a home not in France.
In order to provide remotely useful information, will need the exact routing, including times, citizenship & residency.
Old Mar 4, 21, 7:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott

the 7 day quarantine is theoretical and unenforceable. Real quarantine was ruled illegal by the French Supreme Court back in May so the gov has come up with this “sworn statement” that is designed to scare people.

I’ve gone back and forth multiple times over the past months I’ve never even been asked to hand over my sworn statement much less been visited or called by anyone.
Old Mar 5, 21, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

It's not clear whether you are just connecting in CDG to another (non-domestic) flight or if you end in CDG and take another mode of transportation (car, train) to reach your final country. Without knowing your citizenship, it's not possible to answer your question, but the former is possible (transit in CDG), but the latter is very likely not possible.
Old Mar 5, 21, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chuvash View Post
Real quarantine was ruled illegal by the French Supreme Court back in May
Was it? Can you clarify in which decision? I am assuming that by "French Supreme Court", you either refer to the Conseil constitutionnel or the Conseil d'Etat, rather than the Cour de cassation.
As far as the Conseil constitutionnel is concerned, the only decision I can think of is the decision last May on the constitutionality of the Law extending the health emergency, in which the Conseil confirmed the compatibility with the constitution of provisions in that law concerning individual quarantining measures but did not say anything as such on more systematic quarantining other than confirm that extending any quarantine beyond 14 days would require judicial intervention.
As far as the Conseil d'Etat is concerned, it did uphold last May a "hard" quarantine measure on all arriving passengers adopted in Guadeloupe (the overseas territories are the only places in France where a hard quarantine on incoming passengers has been imposed)
I am not saying that an Australian or Hong-Kong style quarantine would necessarily be lawful in France. There are indeed reasons to consider that designing a system of generalised quarantine on incoming passengers that would be compatible with the Constitution might be a difficult challenge but, AFAIK, this is not something that has been explicitly determined by French courts as of yet.
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: