Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Planning Jan. 2022 Travel Destination

Old Mar 1, 2021, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold

I am hoping to do my first post-Covid international trip in January. I'm thinking of booking it soon because flying Emirates First Class has long been on my bucket list and apparently you will no longer be able to book it with partner miles/points after the end of the month. My question is where is the best final destination after a stopover in Dubai? I'd like to go to either Thailand or South Africa and am wondering if one is more likely to be open to American tourists in the first quarter of 2022. Anyone have any thoughts? Moderator: If this isn't in the right category feel free to move it. I didn't put it in the Emirates category since my question is more about the destinations than Emirates-specific.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
From what I’ve heard/read so far, expectation is that some destinations will start opening up by the fall so January seems reasonable assuming things stay under control come winter. US vaccinations picking up pace should theoretically help. Beyond that, it’s really anyone’s guess at this time on which specific countries/destinations will be open and when.
LETTERBOY and VCURamFan like this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:20 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
People are still making plans 9 months in future...
florens and Repooc17 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you make plans 30+ days in advance - and even then -- just make certain that you understand that circumstances will likely change. Not only scheduling, but hard requirements, e.g. prohibitions on entry as well as soft requirements such as testing, vaccination & quarantine. None of the science people are willing to remotely commit to next January and it is largely the travel industry influencers peddling the "when."

So long as anything you book is fully refundable to a credit card (no "funny money" credits for the future), you are, of course safe.

Bear in mind that the credit analysts following the industry do not expect a significant recovery before 2024. This is, of course, not destination specific. But, it is a consideration before one makes an interest-free loan.
Sjoerd likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I may well be very wrong, but I do not see Thailand opening by early 2022.
Sjoerd likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 9:24 am

May as well go for Maldives. If it was open last year, it will almost certainly be open next year. BKK and most other points in SE and East Asia are more easily reached via TPAC (especially from the west coast), and the fares were generally quite low pre-COVID. Thailand has been wavering back and forth regarding vaccinated travelers, but it will also be one of the first places to slam the doors shut with no notice if something goes awry.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would avoid booking places that pursue "zero cases" strategy - China, Australia, many pacific island nations. Aside from those i would just book where you want to be. Thailand is already kinda open - just need to sit through quarantine.
And yes absolutely i strongly recommend booking 9 or better 12 mo in advance to get ahead - by the time restrictions are lifted everyone will be trying to travel.
lobo411 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:57 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
I would avoid booking places that pursue "zero cases" strategy - China, Australia, many pacific island nations. Aside from those i would just book where you want to be. Thailand is already kinda open - just need to sit through quarantine.
And yes absolutely i strongly recommend booking 9 or better 12 mo in advance to get ahead - by the time restrictions are lifted everyone will be trying to travel.
Do you think Taiwan or Japan falls into that category? Hoping for a late Jan 2021 trip to either.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I may well be very wrong, but I do not see Thailand opening by early 2022.
Thailand Says Nears Vaccine Passport, Hopes to Welcome Tourists in Third Quarter

Feb. 24, 2021

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai authorities are preparing a plan to ease restrictions for travellers vaccinated against the coronavirus, senior officials said on Wednesday, as the country looks to revive a tourism industry battered by travel curbs.
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...-third-quarter
samplat, LETTERBOY and VCURamFan like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTT
Do you think Taiwan or Japan falls into that category? Hoping for a late Jan 2021 trip to either.
IMO Japan is much more likely to open - they have to support influx of ppl for the olympics anyways
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:14 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMO Japan is much more likely to open - they have to support influx of ppl for the olympics anyways
Good point about the Olympics. I'll plan for Japan and hope for the best
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by TTT
I think you're a little late for Jan. 2021. 😁
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TTT
Good point about the Olympics. I'll plan for Japan and hope for the best
"Japan reportedly wont allow overseas visitors to attend Tokyo Olympics"
https://thepointsguy.com/news/japan-...tors-olympics/

Regards
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:51 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I think you're a little late for Jan. 2021. 😁
Doh!
Old Mar 3, 2021, 7:04 am

Programs: free agent
I doubt it'll happens, i talked to some thais and they show irrational level of fears over covid so i bet elites will push back on this idea long as they can. I give up on idea of going to Asia since most countries seems pursing unrealistic zero-covid strategy. I wouldn't plan any trip that far ahead, and I accept the fact that it's better to GO quickly once country opens up... because they can revert the decision quickly.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.