Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Where can I travel to get the Covid-19 vaccine?

Old Feb 5, 21, 2:34 am
R2
Original Poster

I'm currently in a country where I am not a resident and hence not entitled to public health care. I can not travel back to my country of residence as I am not a citizen there and despite having a permanent residence permit, I am not allowed re-entry for the time being due to travel restrictions.

The country I'm in now has started the vaccination roll-out and this is done by the public health care system. The private clinics and hospitals here have no access to Covid-19 vaccines until next year they estimate.

I would prefer not to have to wait till next year to get vaccinated.

Is there any country that allows tourists in and where the private clinics offer a Covid-19 vaccine for non-residents?
DL77 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 21, 2:55 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
I've heard about people traveling to the UAE and being vaccinated over there with their own money without any wait.
I don't have any idea about the pricing.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Feb 5, 21, 5:29 am

Programs: IB platinum, BA Gold, LH senator
I hear yesterday at news that in Miami Florida USA any person over 65 years old get the vaccination right away for free.
Old Feb 5, 21, 5:40 am

If you state the country you would get much better help. I suspect many countries with a large number of unregistered expats (e.g. Mexico, Costa Rica) will be flexible.
Old Feb 5, 21, 5:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
China's Sinopharm vaccine offered to elite few in UAE tourist deal (The Guardian)

Chinaís Sinopharm vaccine is being offered to a handful of wealthy people paying for access to the United Arab Emiratesí Covid-19 vaccination programme as part of a partnership to ďbring tourism into the areaĒ, according to an exclusive London club that claims to be brokering the service.

The vaccine is in wide usage in the UAE but is yet to receive emergency approval from the UK government or the World Health Organization. The Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine, also approved in the Emirates, is not included in the pay-to-access deal.

The offer is the first apparent evidence to surface of a state using its Covid-19 vaccine supplies as a selling point to foreign tourists, amid a global scarcity of doses and calls to share the resource with vulnerable people and health workers around the world.

The UAE health ministry, its national media office and the Dubai tourism authority did not respond to questions.
Expat_flyer1 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 21, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
I heard that Morocco has the AZ vaccine available for purchase, but I have no idea how or how much.
Old Feb 5, 21, 6:21 am

What is your country of citizenship? I would suggest starting there.
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:36 am

Once countries complete the vaccination of frontline/healthcare workers and the elderly, it will open up quite a bit across the board. The production capacity is also being ramped up considerably right now. The best option is to wait a few months for the supply to start to catch up with the demand. At that point, there should be several more options open to you at home and abroad. You will also not be cutting in line ahead of others with a greater need, and you will not be paying nearly as much for the privilege. Another option is to search out a vaccine trial in your area. You should know immediately if you get the placebo or not, due to the inevitable (minor) side effects reported almost universally.
Old Feb 5, 21, 9:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Requirements for Florida changed after folks rushed in from Canada, Argentina, Brazil, Columbia and parts unknown.

You must now show proof of residency, FLA Drivers License, or two of the following - Mortgage, Lease plus Tax Bill, Utility bill, Bank Statement with FL Address.
Part time snowbirds can also qualify with the above documents.
Old Feb 5, 21, 9:58 am

Also keep in mind that the vaccines currently in circulation require two shots, three weeks apart. This definitely makes vaccine tourism a little more complicated and a lot more expensive. If the J&J gets approved as a single dose, that will help get things moving further in the right direction.
Old Feb 5, 21, 1:43 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton
Originally Posted by alexflys View Post
I hear yesterday at news that in Miami Florida USA any person over 65 years old get the vaccination right away for free.
This is absolutely incorrect you need to be a resident now or live partially in the state (implemented on January 22)
sapman986 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Feb 5, 21, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Where are you located?
2. What is your country of residence (Same as #!?)
3. What is your citizenship?

This will largely determine where you may travel and, within that, the universe of places which will provide the two shots. Depending on location, you may or may not be responsible for associated costs of the vaccine, medical and, of course, where you stay for the roughly 3 weeks between doses (presuming that you ultimately settle on a 2-dose regime).

Be very careful in your selections as there is a massive amount of fraud here and thus assuring that you are dealing with a reputable provider who is not administering a vial of saline solution is more than critical.
birdiedouble and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Feb 5, 21, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by downinit View Post
Another option is to search out a vaccine trial in your area. You should know immediately if you get the placebo or not, due to the inevitable (minor) side effects reported almost universally.
I am in a trial right now, Phase 2 of an mRNA vaccine similar to Moderna and Pfizer. I just received my first jab on Wednesday. Was told I had a 1 in 4 chance of placebo, 3 in 4 chance of actual vaccine.

After the shot I felt fine. My arm didn't hurt, no soreness, nothing. I assumed i had received the placebo. Coincidentally, my husband received his first jab of the Pfizer vaccine in another location, same day, same time. Back home a few hours later, we talked about how we felt great. Fast forward past dinner time, and by then we knew we had both received the vaccine. Neither of us slept well due to muscle pain, fatigue, slight headache. Definitely "off" the next day, Thursday. Today is Friday and I am still tired and a little achy, but not enough to take a Tylenol. Never any arm pain.

Anyway, the clinical trial is a double-blind, randomized one where I am not told which shot I received--but my body sure knew! On the 2nd round there is a 50/50 chance I will receive a placebo. If I don't experience side effects on the 2nd shot--highly unlikely, as the 2nd shot is said to be worst than the first--then a few months down the road I will get an antibody test. If the results show I have few or no antibodies (which tells me my 2nd jab was the placebo), then I will get the J&J vaccine because I will have had 1 dose of the mRNA.

Thought this might help those of you contemplating a clinical trial. If interested, go to ClinicalTrials.gov or Google it, as I know my particular vaccine will probably be going in Phase 3 shortly, and there are 7 other vaccines in the works also going into trials.
Stgermainparis, gemcan83 and Zeeb like this.

Last edited by elizadoo; Feb 5, 21 at 5:36 pm
Old Feb 5, 21, 6:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by downinit View Post
Another option is to search out a vaccine trial in your area. You should know immediately if you get the placebo or not, due to the inevitable (minor) side effects reported almost universally.
That is not necessarily true.

In the AstraZeneca trials, for example, the placebo is a proven (and safe) SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, which causes side effects similar to those of the COVID-19 vaccine. I would imagine that other drug companies do the same, as it is vital that the participants do not know which one they receive (in order that they donít behave differently).
Old Feb 5, 21, 6:34 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
1. Where are you located?
2. What is your country of residence (Same as #!?)
3. What is your citizenship?
Two more questions to add:

4. Does the country where you plan to travel require quarantine?
5. Does the country where you reside require quarantine even for vaccinated, when you go back?

This will largely determine where you may travel and, within that, the universe of places which will provide the two shots. Depending on location, you may or may not be responsible for associated costs of the vaccine, medical and, of course, where you stay for the roughly 3 weeks between doses (presuming that you ultimately settle on a 2-dose regime).
Plus, you might be responsible for associated costs of quarantine (in some countries- >$3000 for 2-3 weeks stay in a quarantine hotel which you canít choose).

Be very careful in your selections as there is a massive amount of fraud here and thus assuring that you are dealing with a reputable provider who is not administering a vial of saline solution is more than critical.
I would also ask the question- why do you want to get vaccine right now?

To get protected from the virus? If you have not got infected yet, then you and the place you are living are doing something right and keep doing it until vaccination is available in your area.

If you think that vaccination will provide some non-medical related benefits which non-vaccinated people donít have, it is not the case at this moment and likely wonít be the case for a while.

Last edited by invisible; Feb 5, 21 at 10:32 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: