Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Potential negative test for US domestic travel

Old Jan 27, 21, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat, HH gold

Well here we go......This is about to get REALLY interesting.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...-official-says

Dr. Marty Cetron, director for the Division of Global Migration and Quarantine at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told reporters Tuesday that the administration is "actively looking" into imposing the domestic travel testing requirement.

https://thehill.com/policy/transport...tic-flyers-cdc

Last edited by dcsnowwake; Jan 27, 21 at 1:21 pm
Old Jan 27, 21, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake View Post
Well here we go......This is about to get REALLY interesting.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...-official-says

Dr. Marty Cetron, director for the Division of Global Migration and Quarantine at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told reporters Tuesday that the administration is "actively looking" into imposing the domestic travel testing requirement.
SMFH...
Pirrito, LETTERBOY, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 21, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Just in case some folks think that the source above is tainted, here's another source with the same info - if the new administration really wants to hurt the economy w/o making a serious dent in Covid, this is about as good a way to do it as any barring shelter in place orders.

Old Jan 27, 21, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by runningshoes View Post
Just in case some folks think that the source above is tainted, here's another source with the same info - if the new administration really wants to hurt the economy w/o making a serious dent in Covid, this is about as good a way to do it as any barring shelter in place orders.

Updated original post with this also. thanks
runningshoes likes this.
Old Jan 27, 21, 1:26 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by runningshoes View Post

Unless there is a large change in testing availability/type, I agree.

If rapid antigen tests come on line (lick a stick style), it may be feasible.
StingWest and TravelFu like this.
Old Jan 27, 21, 1:29 pm
was FlyEndeavourAir

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
They would have to change the testing dramatically, including near instant results and an increase in number of people they can test at any given moment.

Otherwise this is death to the airlines and many other industries. I am also unaware of any other country requiring tests for domestic travel.
Old Jan 27, 21, 1:34 pm

Would literally destroy the airline industry and not help a thing. Cannot believe this is even on the table. Frightening. Things are getting much better nationwide, but let's destroy an industry that's been hit as hard as any outside of live music.
Old Jan 27, 21, 1:51 pm

Biden actively seeking mandatory COVID tests for domestic flights

"The Biden administration is “actively looking” at expanding mandatory COVID-19 testing to travelers on U.S. domestic flights, a senior Centers for Disease Control and Prevention official said on Tuesday."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN29V2QO
Old Jan 27, 21, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir View Post
I am also unaware of any other country requiring tests for domestic travel.
Many countries actually prohibit non-essential domestic travel, so requiring a test is a less restrictive policy.
Old Jan 27, 21, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this really loops back to the idea that was strongly recommended but never implemented - easy unlimited access to free testing

most will have no problem doing a test if it means a quick fee-free stop at CVS or walgreens etc... what we currently have is long lines, scheduling days in advance and no guaranteed turnarounds
Old Jan 27, 21, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This is only being looked at as a possibility at this point, all while being aware of not wanting to see testing resources unnecessarily wasted on people engaged in "non-essential" flying around.

Adding a requirement for a negative test within 5/6/7 days of domestic flight departure can be made to work to reduce the spread of the virus, if the objective of such requirement is primarily to drive down the demand for less-than-fully-"essential" travel -- and that is even if taking it as a given that a test requirement of that sort wouldn't make more than a 1-2% decrease in the chance of a traveler spreading/getting an infection.

The way to really drive down non-essential air travel is to have a 24 hour test requirement before interstate domestic flight. Add the individual's cost in time and money of being tested and the risk of that individual being a positive case to the domestic air travel picture, and there will be a precipitous drop in non-essential flight travel by that individual and many others like that person.
Often1 and TravelingZoomer like this.
Old Jan 27, 21, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It's not really a dumb idea to consider, it's just a matter of whether/how it can be a practical idea that achieves the objective without being counterproductive to the overall effort against the pandemic.

This kind of thing is also being considered in various other countries too.
Old Jan 27, 21, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This.

If it's non-essential travel and it's a hassle, that's the goal.

If it's essential travel, having someone drive over to take the test, run it through a rapid analyzer and generate a result certificate is a good thing.
Old Jan 27, 21, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
this really loops back to the idea that was strongly recommended but never implemented - easy unlimited access to free testing

most will have no problem doing a test if it means a quick fee-free stop at CVS or Walgreens etc... what we currently have is long lines, scheduling days in advance and no guaranteed turnarounds
I had to take another test today due to a co-worker testing positive on Tuesday. I went to the same location, Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, that I have taken one 3 times before over the last year. This is the first time they asked for my insurance information, and if I said I didn't have any, it asked for my Name, DL and SSN#'s to prove I didn't have Insurance. I guess they bill your insurance, and promise no out of pocket expense. If this is going to be required testing every time, I wonder when the Insurance agencies push back and say enough in having to pay for these tests. In time, this will go down as more people are inoculated and a herd immunity occurs.

BTW, I did both the Rapid Antigen and PCR testing. I got my Rapid back 8 minutes after, the PCR should be back on Friday.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 27, 21, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
There is zero data to support the thought that domestic airline travel, in its current form, has any significant impact on spreading Covid, and given the small number of travelers currently, the assumption that even a full stop of travel would have an impact on the overall numbers is ridiculous. The fact that other countries may be evaluating this as well does not make it a good idea - plenty of places have implemented ideas that turned out to be useless or even worse, added to the infection rate. The only piece of evidence that indirectly supports these types of edicts is the recent research extrapolating (and even this is not fully vetted) that people w/o symptoms are estimated to cause the spread of almost 50% of cases, and if you use that as a reason, you really need to close down the economy as a whole again.

Last edited by runningshoes; Jan 27, 21 at 4:02 pm Reason: Clarified for domestic travel

Search this Thread
Search Engine: