Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Being reported by several news organizations... CDC is expected to announce that a negative covid test is required for all inbound international travel to the US.
Limited details are available currently.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...us/6640424002/
Old Jan 12, 2021, 1:59 pm
Suspended

If this is true, including American citizens and residents, then International Travel is dead.
Nobody in their right mind is going to risk being stranded abroad. Not to mention the difficulty getting a test before returning home. Thousands of Americans visit Mexico every week. How are all these people gonna get a test before boarding their flight home? In Puerto Vallarta or Cancun somewhere? Yeah right
Or take Europe for instance. Millions of Americans visited Europe in 2019 during summer. Are all these people going to get tested "somewhere" in Europe 72 hours before boarding a plane? Yeah right.
Testing capacity is simply not there, not to mention the chance you might get stranded because of a (false) positive test. Could not even be your fault. Maybe someone was passing you on the street and sneezed, or bumped into you, or whatever happened.
Same goes for Europeans wanting to visit the US. They might get tested in their home town, somewhere in Europe, but how are they gonna get a test before heading home? At ATL, JFK? Sure, for a few dozens pax that might work, but not for thousands or millions of pax. Not to mention that IF you test positive as a European in the US you might fall faul of "overstaying your visa". Then you go to jail.

So, once again: International Travel (as we have know it) will be DEAD if these rules are really implemented.
I expect that most if not all Europeans will probably prefer to vacation in Europe this year. Simply because of less risk. Same goes for Americans. Better stay in the US then travel abroad.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a smart move and should have been implemented a long time ago, The US is largely closed to European entry without a reason so tourism is simply not in the cards anyway.

Compliance is relatively easy from most locations and, where it is not, people are simply going to have to make other arrangements. Health & safety first

This is likely to encourage travel, certainly among HVC business travelers as it gives greater confidence that one isn't spending 7-10 hours in a tube of Covid.

On the other hand, if you are sick, you should be seeking medical attention and isolating. Not traveling and infection people along the way.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:28 pm

Interesting ... I was going to go to an isolated part of Mexico later this month, but doubt I'd be able to get a negative test in Mexico while I'm there (also even doing so sounds like a hassle that would make the trip unenjoyable / stressful). I can't imagine how people will react who had travel plans to go to Mexico (or another nearby country with open borders). Seems like a nightmare.
Pirrito and bchandler02 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kthpence
Interesting ... I was going to go to an isolated part of Mexico later this month, but doubt I'd be able to get a negative test in Mexico while I'm there (also even doing so sounds like a hassle that would make the trip unenjoyable / stressful). I can't imagine how people will react who had travel plans to go to Mexico (or another nearby country with open borders). Seems like a nightmare.
We will have to see if it actually get implemented, and then if someone runs to SCOTUS to get an injunction. No doubt in my mind this will end up in the courts.
I have two foreign trips plans this winter and spring, but fortunately with miles only. Should be easy to cancel. No way in hell I will give any real money to any airline as long as these reactionary policies are being discussed or are on the books.
gnaget and Pirrito like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
We will have to see if it actually get implemented, and then if someone runs to SCOTUS to get an injunction. No doubt in my mind this will end up in the courts.
I have two foreign trips plans this winter and spring, but fortunately with miles only. Should be easy to cancel. No way in hell I will give any real money to any airline as long as these reactionary policies are being discussed or are on the books.
Yea, we may just move our trip to next week ... we're stuck with nothing to do in SF Bay Area right now, so AS Premium Class (blocked middle seats) flights to WA Pedregal or Punta Mita sound nice right about now...
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:46 pm

Assuming wherever I'm going has a testing regime in place that's efficient and accurate, I have no qualms with it. If this is what it takes to get us off neutral and get the show back on the road, I'm all for it.
aj411, ajGoes, rstruthe and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Visconti
Assuming wherever I'm going has a testing regime in place that's efficient and accurate, I have no qualms with it. If this is what it takes to get us off neutral and get the show back on the road, I'm all for it.
And where would this "efficient testing regime" be?
I think it is pie-in-the-sky to assume ANY country can handle thousands if not millions of tests for each passenger each day. Most countries already are buckling under the strain of having to test their own population. Good luck getting an appointment as an American in-time somewhere abroad.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
CDC has confirmed that it will issue a comprehensive order later today. Effective 1/26. That's a bit longer than it should be, but it's better than not happening. According to CDC statement, either a negative test or adequate medical proof of recovery are required prior to boarding and air carriers are directed to deny boarding to anyone who cannot produce one or both.

Same as already exists for UK-US travel and easily fits within existing law.

Air carriers really pushed hard for this and it's just taken a while.
destone and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:06 pm

A pre-testing is like a foreign issued passport. If you really want to control something, you would require a visa, not a passport.

Originally Posted by Often1
CDC has confirmed that it will issue a comprehensive order later today. Effective 1/26. That's a bit longer than it should be, but it's better than not happening. According to CDC statement, either a negative test or adequate medical proof of recovery are required prior to boarding and air carriers are directed to deny boarding to anyone who cannot produce one or both.

Same as already exists for UK-US travel and easily fits within existing law.

Air carriers really pushed hard for this and it's just taken a while.
I can't believe air carriers pushed for this. How come a more restricted measure will bring more travelers? It's a closing down, not open up.
VonS and bds123123 like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 12, 2021 at 3:35 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Visconti
Is your current understanding that the world is awash in "efficient and accurate" testing regimes?

Regards
Pirrito likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by freedom2020
I can't believe air carriers pushed for this. How come a more restricted measure will bring more travelers? It's a closing down, not open up.
I believe they advocated for this instead of the outright travel bans that currently exist. So they are hoping that travel bans can be replaced by testing, thus allowing transatlantic travel etc to resume.
onanisland, gojko88 and destone like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
If this is true, including American citizens and residents, then International Travel is dead.
Nobody in their right mind is going to risk being stranded abroad. Not to mention the difficulty getting a test before returning home. Thousands of Americans visit Mexico every week. How are all these people gonna get a test before boarding their flight home? In Puerto Vallarta or Cancun somewhere? Yeah right
Or take Europe for instance. Millions of Americans visited Europe in 2019 during summer. Are all these people going to get tested "somewhere" in Europe 72 hours before boarding a plane? Yeah right.
Testing capacity is simply not there, not to mention the chance you might get stranded because of a (false) positive test. Could not even be your fault. Maybe someone was passing you on the street and sneezed, or bumped into you, or whatever happened.
Same goes for Europeans wanting to visit the US. They might get tested in their home town, somewhere in Europe, but how are they gonna get a test before heading home? At ATL, JFK? Sure, for a few dozens pax that might work, but not for thousands or millions of pax. Not to mention that IF you test positive as a European in the US you might fall faul of "overstaying your visa". Then you go to jail.

So, once again: International Travel (as we have know it) will be DEAD if these rules are really implemented.
I expect that most if not all Europeans will probably prefer to vacation in Europe this year. Simply because of less risk. Same goes for Americans. Better stay in the US then travel abroad.
Without respect to whether I agree or disagree with implementing this, of course it will reduce international travel; that is sort of the entire point.

Regards
axck likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
And where would this "efficient testing regime" be?
I think it is pie-in-the-sky to assume ANY country can handle thousands if not millions of tests for each passenger each day. Most countries already are buckling under the strain of having to test their own population. Good luck getting an appointment as an American in-time somewhere abroad.
The US can't even handle it. Try finding a place that guarantees PCR results within 72 hours outside of major cities, and then being able to procure an appointment to time it just right for your flight. Good luck. Not impossible, but not easy by any means. This policy will definitely have me rethink twice before traveling internationally from the US. That's assuming I'd like to reenter. Given the current political climate, maybe a one-way ticket is the best option.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by freedom2020
A pre-testing is like a foreign issued passport. If you really want to control something, you would require a visa, not a passport.

They haven't. They have been opposed to more restriction.

Also, the thread title is misleading and is only speculation as there hasn't (that I know of) any official announcement of specifics. MAY require would be accurate currently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.