Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Inbound USA travel/Covid restrictions question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!

I have a daughter currently in Thailand, returning to the USA on Korean/Delta in about a week (port of entry SEA). She's traveling with a friend that is the more dominant one in the group regarding managing the itinerary. Friend is worried about restrictions or requirements for re-entry in the USA regarding Covid, and wants to go get tests prior to flight. I told her I was not aware of any requirements at this time (such as showing a negative test result, etc.) for entry into the USA.

I got to thinking about it afterward. If any restrictions were in place, wouldn't they be placed on the airline to administer at check-in, similar to checking for valid visas at check-in for itineraries to the USA? And if so, wouldn't there be notices on the Delta website, and coming to passengers prior to flight time through contact information in their reservations?

For clarity, the trip is ticketed on Delta, flying KE metal out of BKK and DL metal out of ICN.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are they USA citizens traveling on a SINGLE TICKET/PNR BKK-ICN-SEA without an overnight connection? Where have they been (any countries other than Thailand?) during the last fourteen days?

If they have one ticket BKK-ICN on KE and a separate ticket from ICN to SEA on DL, they must meet all of South Korea's entry conditions.

If it's an overnight connection on one ticket, current transit rules for ROK need to be checked very carefully.

Otherwise, someone with a valid USA passport who has been only in Thailand and will only be connecting/transiting (in the technical sense) at ICN without entering the country should have no problems flying to SEA and I don't think a COVID-19 test would be useful in any official way. If they're going on to Alaska, Hawaii, NY, etc., a test would probably be needed/useful.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Yes, they're green card holders on a single (through) ticket on DL ticket stock BKK-ICN-SEA. They have an 8 hour daytime connection in ICN as I recall. They've only been visiting Thailand.

Any definitive websites you know of that I can put them in touch with, for reassurance?

Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Use this site
COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Destination | CDC
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
Yes, they're green card holders on a single (through) ticket on DL ticket stock BKK-ICN-SEA. They have an 8 hour daytime connection in ICN as I recall. They've only been visiting Thailand.

Any definitive websites you know of that I can put them in touch with, for reassurance?

Thanks!
If they're not USA citizens, their citizenship could matter.

Most airlines consult the TIMATIC website to determine whether a person is admissible, but it doesn't show quarantine requirements. People here like to use the United website link to it. There used to be a link on the SkyTeam website that I preferred.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
In terms of COVID, GC holders should have no issues re-entering the US following the suggestions by MSPeconomist.

I do know there are times when the immigration officer may ban entry if you have been outside the US for an extended period of time. Of course, this was still the case before COVID.

Maybe someone can comment on the best way to spend 8hours connecting at ICN - not sure what the status of lounges are these days.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:02 pm

This is the official timatic system skyteam airline agents will use - make sure that says "You're okay to board"

https://skyteam.traveldoc.aero/
Old Jan 2, 2021, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If they're not USA citizens, their citizenship could matter.

Most airlines consult the TIMATIC website to determine whether a person is admissible, but it doesn't show quarantine requirements. People here like to use the United website link to it. There used to be a link on the SkyTeam website that I preferred.
The OP's relative and acquaintance should indeed run their info via TIMATIC to see what it suggests would be the conditions applicable to do the trip currently. And also perhaps check out the US Embassy/state.gov webpages for the relevant countries to see what the situation may be beyond that just indicated by TIMATIC.

Speaking of people who are admissible into the US currently, those who arrive back at US ports of entry are legally entitled to return to their place of residence to shelter, even if it means having to stop somewhere en route as part of transiting onward on the same or separate tickets after arrival in the US. Being able to return home to seek the safety of reliable home shelter is essential and considered as such in the US.

I haven't heard of anyone telling the US embassies/consulates that US persons -- and US LPRs are US persons too even as they aren't US nationals -- are at of risk being grabbed and forced into a quarantine for Covid-19 at the US port of entry when the US person is not a confirmed or presumed cases for being Covid-19 positive and is en route to shelter in a different jurisdiction than that used as the US airport of arrival. Of course what happens en route in other countries needs to be considered too, which is why I suggest checking out the US Embassy/state.gov pages for the relevant countries at this time.
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.