Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How is the US going to Provide COVID-19 Immunization Certification?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is the US going to Provide COVID-19 Immunization Certification?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 5:43 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by lobo411
Actually here's a more detailed bit:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/25/covi...concerned.html

I applaud the fact that we are at the stages of "assessing the feasibility." Until that happens, I recommend people carry the proofs of vaccination I mention in a post above.
lobo411 likes this.

Last edited by txp; Mar 3, 2021 at 3:58 pm
Old Mar 3, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I think this is pretty simple. Every country is desperate to get their travel industries cranking up again. With that, by the time "rich countries" get the bulk of their people vaccinated - which should be this summer - then you can probably show up somewhere with a Post-it Note saying you got vaccinated and countries are going to let you in.

Basically, by the time I'm personally ready to travel internationally, the doors are going to be open in most places just due to economic necessity and the fact that COVID cases will most likely be pretty minuscule. There will be hot spots of course.

Also, all of the talk about Yellow Fever booklets and whatnot, a very, very small percentage of international travelers have those, and international travelers are a small portion of people, especially Americans. The need for Iceland to verify that you have had a vaccination is not going to cause each of the 55 States, DC and Territories from building HIPAA-compliant databases linked to US passports. It just isn't going to happen. Your immunization card is probably going to be all you're going to get because everything else is a multi-year unfunded fantasy to make happen and COVID should be gone or at least mutated into an annual flu-type virus by then.
artemis likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 4:05 pm
txp

Originally Posted by catocony
I think this is pretty simple. Every country is desperate to get their travel industries cranking up again. With that, by the time "rich countries" get the bulk of their people vaccinated - which should be this summer - then you can probably show up somewhere with a Post-it Note saying you got vaccinated and countries are going to let you in.

Basically, by the time I'm personally ready to travel internationally, the doors are going to be open in most places just due to economic necessity and the fact that COVID cases will most likely be pretty minuscule. There will be hot spots of course.

Also, all of the talk about Yellow Fever booklets and whatnot, a very, very small percentage of international travelers have those, and international travelers are a small portion of people, especially Americans. The need for Iceland to verify that you have had a vaccination is not going to cause each of the 55 States, DC and Territories from building HIPAA-compliant databases linked to US passports. It just isn't going to happen. Your immunization card is probably going to be all you're going to get because everything else is a multi-year unfunded fantasy to make happen and COVID should be gone or at least mutated into an annual flu-type virus by then.
I agree. I don't think an electronic database of vaccines is doable, for the reasons you mention.

I also agree that at some point (maybe not this summer but definitely by summer 2022), everything will be open to citizens of developed countries. Thus, the various strategies mentioned here for documenting vaccination are only relevant for the interim period -- i.e. from now till summer 2022 at the latest). After that, I expect entry requirements to be based on citizenship and vaccines to be required only of citizens or residents of countries that are falling behind on the vaccination process.
artemis and lobo411 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I got my vaccine at a state run mega site, so when no one there had seen one at all I was a little shocked. Also, I made sure that asking didn't hold anything up, and worked with some site supervisor during my 15 waiting period. Everyone was quite friendly and ultimately dose 1 got entered in on the card. So, I assume it will be easier when I go back for shot 2.

For me a large part of getting vaccinated is the hope that will aide in my return to international biz and personal travel.
I immediately went looking for my yellow card, which was issued to me by my university a long time ago for a study aboard program, after a few you posters mentioned it. I thought I lost it, but found it.

I also got a supervisor at a Los Angeles County run MegaPOD drive-through site to sign my yellow card, and it only added 5 minutes to the wait. The nurse took the extra time to find one for and get it signed.
Long Train Runnin likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 4:17 pm
txp

Originally Posted by i0wnj00
I immediately went looking for my yellow card, which was issued to me by my university a long time ago for a study aboard program, after a few you posters mentioned it. I thought I lost it, but found it.

I also got a supervisor at a Los Angeles County run MegaPOD drive-through site to sign my yellow card, and it only added 5 minutes to the wait. The nurse took the extra time to find one for and get it signed.

Yes, it's easy to get the yellow card signed. I agree. As mentioned above, this is likely to be useful for the next 6-18 months. After that, I expect that all vaccine-based travel privileges will become irrelevant.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 5:20 pm

Well I didn't even get a CDC vaccine card.. i got a letter sized print-out with the CDC card printed on it. That's probably the easiest thing to forge as far as "documents" go realistically speaking.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:11 pm
txp

Originally Posted by Barciur
Well I didn't even get a CDC vaccine card.. i got a letter sized print-out with the CDC card printed on it. That's probably the easiest thing to forge as far as "documents" go realistically speaking.
Within the US it's easy for someone to verify if the information is accurate. All they have to do is to check it in the vaccine registry system of your state. The card itself does not add much value. It just prompts the relevant authority to verify the information in the official registry. Much like a health insurance card: the card itself is useless unless they can verify coverage with your insurance company.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by txp
Within the US it's easy for someone to verify if the information is accurate. All they have to do is to check it in the vaccine registry system of your state. The card itself does not add much value. It just prompts the relevant authority to verify the information in the official registry. Much like a health insurance card: the card itself is useless unless they can verify coverage with your insurance company.
Not every state has a useful online registry. CDC guidelines are to go back and ask your parents, local health department, etc.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by lobo411
Actually here's a more detailed bit:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/25/covi...concerned.html
Bless our wonderful new President.
lobo411 and ExpatExp like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by i0wnj00

Well, it turns out the Healthvana partnership with Los Angeles County not only includes management of the covid 19 test results but also management of covid 19 vaccination records. As a result, I was offered a chance to download my digital certificate on to my iPhone, I went ahead and did this since I figured this might be useful. I will still keep the white and yellow cards (I will still get it signed) but I won't rely on these. Good to see this getting organized.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:44 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just as an update I got my second shot earlier this week.

This time no one blinked at the Yellow Card and they filled it out along with my CDC card.

At least now in my mind I am happy to have both doses noted in the yellow WHO card.

We'll see what any of this means down the road I guess.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txp
My sense is that until we come up with something better, most jurisdictions will accept one or more of these proofs of vaccination. Within the US (and perhaps Canada, Mexico and most Caribbean Islands), the CDC card will probably suffice, but for other countries a combination of the four items listed (or perhaps all four) might be necessary.
Seeing how rule breaking many in the US are during COVID, I certainly hope there will be a more official way of proving vaccination than the CDC card so people don't game the system.

When I got my vaccine, the person giving me the shot did not give me the card. Then when I got to the next step, the person was surprised and pulled out a blank card from her pocket and copied the information (name and vaccine lot) from her iPad.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Lots of international travel coming up for work, so it's time to figure out how to best prove my vaccination status. I realise some of the following posts are from a few months ago and have since been discussed and updated. However, hopefully collecting them all in one post will benefit others reading this thread.

I was at a state run "mega site" and no one there and have ever seen the WHO yellow card before. Ultimately, they agreed to fill it in and sign it as my first dose. Along with giving me the grey card from the CDC.
Originally Posted by radonc1
Not surprising that no one has seen the WHO yellow card. It certainly isn't needed or shown in the USA.
Interesting -- I was thinking this might be the case. But of course, data is supposed to be entered into the yellow book in the USA, for when the book is needed to be shown outside of the USA. I bet it will be luck of the draw as to whether or not the medical providers involved are happy to write in the yellow book…

Originally Posted by artemis
I was unable to get my Pfizer vaccines entered into my yellow card; frankly, the people at my hospital administering the vaccines were too busy to do it, on top of never having filled one out before.
I got my vaccine at a state run mega site, so when no one there had seen one at all I was a little shocked. Also, I made sure that asking didn't hold anything up, and worked with some site supervisor during my 15 waiting period. Everyone was quite friendly and ultimately dose 1 got entered in on the card. So, I assume it will be easier when I go back for shot 2. For me a large part of getting vaccinated is the hope that will aide in my return to international biz and personal travel.
Thanks for this report. Heading to the same kind of state-run mega site next week and am hoping I won't run into problems getting the yellow book signed.

Originally Posted by txp
There are two additional advantages to entering the info on page 8 as opposed to pages 4 & 6. First, you don't have to fill in the "expiration date," thus avoiding the question to which no one knows the answer: "how long does my protection last?" Second, you have more space to enter the name & address of the vaccination site, particularly if you skip a line between the two doses. Note that you don't quite have to stay within the prescribed space and you can definitely use more than one line per dose.
Wise words. I also have used additional lines in the past.

Originally Posted by txp
Many on this forum correctly pointed out that at the moment there is no single, universally accepted proof of COVID-19 vaccination. For this reason, my personal recommendation is that travelers get *all* of the proofs shown below, because you never know which one will be accepted by any particular jurisdiction:

* The CDC card;
* A WHO card signed by a representative of the place that administered the vaccine;
* A printout of the immunization record from your state's health department;
* A letter from your primary care doctor, on his or her letter head, certifying that you were vaccinated, according to the information available in your state's immunization registry.

My sense is that until we come up with something better, most jurisdictions will accept one or more of these proofs of vaccination… I recommend that people carry *all* proofs of vaccination listed above.
​​​​​​​
Also very wise words. I'm planning to carry as many of those items as possible.

Just as an update I got my second shot earlier this week. This time no one blinked at the Yellow Card and they filled it out along with my CDC card.
​​​​​​​
Excellent news. Thanks for the update! I also will revert back next week.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
I foolishly didn't take my yellow booklet when I got my vaccines. Am hoping that if I take them to the local health dept together with my CDC card they'll fill it out and add a suitably impressive stamp. Failing that will ask my internist to complete it. Incidentally, highly recommend getting the CDC card laminated, not only does it protect it but makes it look more 'official'
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 9:37 am

I do not have a local health department here (not including the PA department of health but... that would be a bit difficult) and I have been vaccinated at a supermarket pharmacy. Safe to say that my vaccine record is not transmitted anywhere.

Also, I have not received a CDC card, but a regular paper print-out with the CDC "scanned" onto it - so it looks like total crap. All those things make me feel that we will either rely on this and have it all be on the honor system (because it's easy to fake) or we will not have anything at all and just accept that nobody will accept a US proof of vaccination. Unless some places that have access to the digital one will be blessed with that.

It all varies so much though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.