Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How is the US going to Provide COVID-19 Immunization Certification?

How is the US going to Provide COVID-19 Immunization Certification?

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 7, 21, 10:57 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: username
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 12, 21, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Regardless of science or public sentiment, If anyone wants to fly an airline or visit a country that requires a negative PCR test, they will get a PCR test... or they will be denied boarding, vaccine or not.
That's kind of the point. Most Americans won't book trips to places that are heavily restricted and will go to places that aren't. That should create more than enough economic incentive for places to open up, if they care about American business and tourist travel. If not, then they can stay closed and travelers can make their individual decisions on if it's worth to them to undergo testing that they know they don't need, just to visit a particular country.
Pirrito and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Apr 12, 21, 5:39 pm

Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by catocony View Post
As for yellow books, most people have never seen one, and I don't know if you can get a COVID vax signoff retroactively. If you can, then it would probably be only as useful as showing a CDC card, since that's all that most people have.
I don't see why not. My last yellow card from the service had all vaccinations given and the ones not personally initialed prior to issue or from previous cards were added and stamped "Transcribed from DOD Medical Records".
Old Apr 12, 21, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
That's kind of the point. Most Americans won't book trips to places that are heavily restricted and will go to places that aren't. That should create more than enough economic incentive for places to open up, if they care about American business and tourist travel. If not, then they can stay closed and travelers can make their individual decisions on if it's worth to them to undergo testing that they know they don't need, just to visit a particular country.
No that's not the point. Most Americans have been caged up for a year and will go anywhere that lets them in, and they will jump thru hoops to get there if it's a place they want to visit. Getting a PCR test is easy. A country requiring a negative PCR test is not being "heavily restricted". Denying entry period, like much of the EU currently does, is being "heavily restricted" Sorry, but If you [moderator edit] don't want to get a test, you aren't flying anywhere outside of the US, whether or not you've be vaccinated 2 or 20 times.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 12, 21 at 7:20 pm Reason: Per FT Rule 12 that we discuss the topic; and not personally categorize other members.
Old Apr 12, 21, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
No that's not the point. Most Americans have been caged up for a year and will go anywhere that lets them in, and they will jump thru hoops to get there if it's a place they want to visit. Getting a PCR test is easy. A country requiring a negative PCR test is not being "heavily restricted". Denying entry period, like much of the EU currently does, is being "heavily restricted" Sorry, but If you [conforming Moderator edit] don't want to get a test, you aren't flying anywhere outside of the US, whether or not you've be vaccinated 2 or 20 times.
[Moderator edit] I have passports from three countries, have over 2 million butt-in-seat miles, have lived in 5 countries and have generally been around the block more than a few times. [Moderator edit].

Since the US will not have vaccine passports, which is a ridiculous name for it, then again, Americans won't be able to travel to some countries on a US passport. If you can go to X Country with plenty of warm beaches but requires testing or you can go to similar Y Country with warm beaches but no tests, a lot of people will decide to go to Y Country. That's just common sense, especially for tourist travelers, who typically don't go to countries requiring visas if they instead go to a similar place that doesn't require them.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 12, 21 at 7:22 pm Reason: Conforming Moderator edits per FT Rule 12.
Old Apr 12, 21, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by exp View Post
What will they do if the EU says they have to show proof of vaccination before they can enter any EU country?
Again, there won't be enough of those people to sway the politicians.

Or if their airline at MIA said they need to show such proof before getting a boarding pass?
That may happen for some international flights, it will NEVER be required for domestic flights (the White House has ruled out domestic vaccine passports). Remember, a majority of Americans don't have passports. Of those that do, how many are just taking an occasional trip every few years?

Just saw a video this morning from a former AA exec. Said that not only will vaccine certificates be likely required, like the old yellow books, they are likely to be required for a few years, even if the EU and the US get high percentage of their populations immunized.
What was the context those remarks were made in? If he's talking about international travel, they probably will. Domestically, it'll never happen.
Old Apr 13, 21, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
As for yellow books, most people have never seen one, and I don't know if you can get a COVID vax signoff retroactively. If you can, then it would probably be only as useful as showing a CDC card, since that's all that most people have.
Fortunately, it is indeed possible to get the entry retroactively, as some of my friends have done, when they forgot to bring their yellow books with them to the vaccination location.

Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
My last yellow card from the service had all vaccinations given and the ones not personally initialed prior to issue or from previous cards were added and stamped "Transcribed from DOD Medical Records".
​​​​​​
Makes sense. I've also successfully asked travel clinic doctors to add previous vaccinations, which they were happy to do so long as I provided an acceptable vaccination record. Luckily, I didn't have to do this with the Covid vaccination, as I brought my yellow book along for that.

If it helps others in this thread, I recently helped a friend buy a blank WHO yellow book on Amazon, which is perfectly legal. You can then take this with you to your Covid vaccination appointment, or alternatively you can go back to your vaccination location and ask for it to be completed, or alternatively you can as your primary care doctor to fill it out, if you bring along the CDC card or other proof of vaccination. I'm sure these approaches will not work 100% of the time for everyone, but it has been successful for a couple of friends, and others here on FT have reported similar successes. Note that there are what appear to be imitation yellow books on Amazon as well, so choose carefully
Old Apr 13, 21, 8:22 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM
Originally Posted by ExpatExp View Post
If it helps others in this thread, I recently helped a friend buy a blank WHO yellow book on Amazon, which is perfectly legal. You can then take this with you to your Covid vaccination appointment, or alternatively you can go back to your vaccination location and ask for it to be completed, or alternatively you can as your primary care doctor to fill it out, if you bring along the CDC card or other proof of vaccination. I'm sure these approaches will not work 100% of the time for everyone, but it has been successful for a couple of friends, and others here on FT have reported similar successes. Note that there are what appear to be imitation yellow books on Amazon as well, so choose carefully
If you are able to obtain from your friend, and post a link to the specific product that they bought, I think that would be a big help. I've never had to deal with yellow books before and I do not really know how to differentiate the fakes from the acceptable ones.
Old Apr 13, 21, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp View Post
For anecdotal purposes, I did exactly this with no issues. Ordered a blank yellow card on Amazon (now unfortunately out of stock from that vendor), took it last Friday to the pharmacy where I received the shot in March, and they filled it out.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Apr 13, 21, 9:13 am

Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
US version

https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/i...h-organization

WHO version

https://www.who.int/ihr/ports_airports/icvp/en/
Old Apr 13, 21, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by angra View Post
If you are able to obtain from your friend, and post a link to the specific product that they bought, I think that would be a big help. I've never had to deal with yellow books before and I do not really know how to differentiate the fakes from the acceptable ones.
Sure. For those who may not want to order in bulk, here are the yellow books my friends ordered, which appear to be the genuine article (unlike some of the imitations also available on Amazon):

Bilingual version Bilingual version
Trilingual version Trilingual version

Note the WHO logos on the front, unlike the imitations, which have some sort of generic logo or say something about Covid.

I have no relationship with the seller and cannot vouch for the seller personally. Also, I have not yet seen the products personally after they arrived, so I can't yet vouch for them. But I will be happy to update this thread when I do see them. In any case, they don't cost much, so my friends were happy to try ordering them.

I don't think it matters which version you use. Perhaps the trilingual one is better if you plan to spend lots of time in Arabic speaking countries. If anyone has more knowledge, please feel free to chime in
angra likes this.
Old Apr 13, 21, 11:13 am
Suspended

No that's not the point. Most Americans have been caged up for a year and will go anywhere that lets them in, and they will jump thru hoops to get there if it's a place they want to visit. Getting a PCR test is easy. A country requiring a negative PCR test is not being "heavily restricted". Denying entry period, like much of the EU currently does, is being "heavily restricted" Sorry, but If you [moderator edit] don't want to get a test, you aren't flying anywhere outside of the US, whether or not you've be vaccinated 2 or 20 times.
There are places he can go without a test. He can re-enter the US overland without a test from Mexico as well.
Old Apr 13, 21, 2:50 pm
exp

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
How do you normally get it?

From doctors offices?
Old Apr 13, 21, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
How do you normally get it?

From doctors offices?
Yes, but they may have been somewhat more likely to be encountered around larger metropolitan areas that had more people flying to/from developing countries than average for the country.
Old Apr 13, 21, 4:53 pm
exp

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
My doctor advertises travel care so thinks like inoculations and such.

So I messaged him, see what he says.
Old Apr 13, 21, 6:11 pm

How do you normally get it? From doctors offices?
Yes, or more commonly, travel-focused medical clinics or providers.

My doctor advertises travel care so thinks like inoculations and such. So I messaged him, see what he says.
Yes, in that case he should have them

Search this Thread
Search Engine: