Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How is the US going to Provide COVID-19 Immunization Certification?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is the US going to Provide COVID-19 Immunization Certification?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: Whatever is cheapest
I have received both doses of the Sinovac CoVax vaccine in Indonesia. Unfortunately, all of the documentation I have is in the local language. It is kind of obvious what the forms are saying, but nonetheless, they are not in English. I plan to visit family in the US in June. Two questions:
1. Does anybody know whether US Embassies provide translation services (presumably for a fee) for official health documents?
2. Assuming Biden is correct and every American adult who wants it has received a vaccine by 1 May, would there be any additional benefit if I were to get the J & J single-shot vaccine while I am in the US? I figure, at worst, it will be a waste of money, but it might be more useful in the eventual "vaccine passport" sense.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 5:08 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
To those that still need to schedule their vaccines, check to see if the provider works with MyChart. This is what appears for me online and on the mobile app, and I am guessing pulling this up will work well in the US, and your primary care doctor or other medical professional could use this to provide letters and such

GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Hospital Sisters/Sisters Hospitals seem to use that a lot. And Mayo has a tie-in with MyChart too.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:08 am
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by infrequently
I have received both doses of the Sinovac CoVax vaccine in Indonesia. Unfortunately, all of the documentation I have is in the local language. It is kind of obvious what the forms are saying, but nonetheless, they are not in English. I plan to visit family in the US in June. Two questions:
1. Does anybody know whether US Embassies provide translation services (presumably for a fee) for official health documents?
2. Assuming Biden is correct and every American adult who wants it has received a vaccine by 1 May, would there be any additional benefit if I were to get the J & J single-shot vaccine while I am in the US? I figure, at worst, it will be a waste of money, but it might be more useful in the eventual "vaccine passport" sense.
Because Indonesia is not part of the Hague convention you need to get the translation certified by the US embassy in Jakarta. It looks that you first need to get the document translated by a private translator (the embassy provides a list) and then the embassy will authenticate the translator's signature.

For more details:
https://id.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...taries-public/

This said, a proof of vaccination at the moment is not very useful for visiting the US because it does not exempt you from pre-flight COVID test.

Personally, I would NOT get another vaccine just so I can get a piece of paper from within the US. It does not seem smart, from a health perspective, to over-vaccinate. Not to mention that there isn't a single standard of vaccine proof accepted in the US. Each state provides its own documentation.

Instead, I would ask your vaccination center in Indonesia to complete a WHO vaccine card.

My sense is that the WHO card, along with the official translation of the local vaccine documentation, should be sufficient for any purpose anywhere in the world.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 9:22 am

Every American adult will definitely not be vaccinated by May 1. That is the deadline for when every American adult will be eligible to receive a vaccine. There will be a huge rush in demand for at least the entire month of May and June, which will hinge largely on supply. Once the adults have been vaccinated, they will likely redirect the supply to teenagers and children above a certain age. Most places have some kind of residency restrictions to receive a vaccine. How this may change in the summer is anyone's guess. [mod edit - off topic for thread]
Dublin_rfk likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 29, 2021 at 3:34 pm
Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:07 pm

would there be any additional benefit if I were to get the J & J single-shot vaccine while I am in the US? I figure, at worst, it will be a waste of money
Because of your line of questioning, I presume you are a US citizen: If you can get past residency requirements, vaccination in the US would be free (for you). The cost is borne by some combination of government and corporate entities.

As to residency: Even though you're living overseas, you presumably still have some US state tax domicile. You might have to travel to that particular state to get vaccinated.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:39 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Moderator note: Please stick to the topic of the thread, which is how proof of vaccine might be provided in the US. I have deleted a few posts that strayed into medical “advice”.

l etoile
forum moderator
Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
... Agree with GUWonder, a screenshot of that it could be accepted as proof by some. Maybe even more when you show that white CDC vaccination record card.
It's possible that a screen shot may indeed impress some. But it's an image, that's extremely easy to "compose" by moving digits and letters around. An alteration or forgery of a paper card is much easier to detect with a naked eye. Eventually folks will catch up to the fact that a screen shot means very little without good tools to analyze it.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: Whatever is cheapest
Originally Posted by txp
Because Indonesia is not part of the Hague convention you need to get the translation certified by the US embassy in Jakarta. It looks that you first need to get the document translated by a private translator (the embassy provides a list) and then the embassy will authenticate the translator's signature.

For more details:
https://id.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...taries-public/

This said, a proof of vaccination at the moment is not very useful for visiting the US because it does not exempt you from pre-flight COVID test.

Personally, I would NOT get another vaccine just so I can get a piece of paper from within the US. It does not seem smart, from a health perspective, to over-vaccinate. Not to mention that there isn't a single standard of vaccine proof accepted in the US. Each state provides its own documentation.

Instead, I would ask your vaccination center in Indonesia to complete a WHO vaccine card.

My sense is that the WHO card, along with the official translation of the local vaccine documentation, should be sufficient for any purpose anywhere in the world.
Originally Posted by downinit
Every American adult will definitely not be vaccinated by May 1. That is the deadline for when every American adult will be eligible to receive a vaccine. There will be a huge rush in demand for at least the entire month of May and June, which will hinge largely on supply. Once the adults have been vaccinated, they will likely redirect the supply to teenagers and children above a certain age. Most places have some kind of residency restrictions to receive a vaccine. How this may change in the summer is anyone's guess. [mod edit - off topic for thread]
Originally Posted by Velocipediste
Because of your line of questioning, I presume you are a US citizen: If you can get past residency requirements, vaccination in the US would be free (for you). The cost is borne by some combination of government and corporate entities.

As to residency: Even though you're living overseas, you presumably still have some US state tax domicile. You might have to travel to that particular state to get vaccinated.
Thank you very much to each of you for your responses. It looks like my best route will be to get a locally translated copy and have the signature verified at the US Embassy, though this may not be of any value until IATA comes up with a widely accepted "vaccine passport" standard. I will skip the extra vaccination, as the protection provided by Sinovac should be enough. Yes, I am a US citizen, but during my June trip, I will not visit my tax-residency state (TX).
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Thank you very much to each of you for your responses. It looks like my best route will be to get a locally translated copy and have the signature verified at the US Embassy, though this may not be of any value until IATA comes up with a widely accepted "vaccine passport" standard. I will skip the extra vaccination, as the protection provided by Sinovac should be enough. Yes, I am a US citizen, but during my June trip, I will not visit my tax-residency state (TX).
To enter the US, you don't need the proof translated since you don't need to be vaccinated at all to enter the US. It's actually irrelevant at the moment. All you need is a negative COVID test that 3 calendar days or less old. Even if you get your vaccination record translated, you'll still need the negative COVID test results, so don't even worry about it.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:07 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Not about US but regarding the vaccination proof. In Singapore they are giving A5 size paper on every visit which has your name, visit date, vaccine name and local ID number.

Students who are administering the shots didn’t know what is the yellow card but the doctor overseeing the process agreed to enter information on page 8. They don’t have a stamp to put it on the card but I don’t think it would matter
Old Mar 31, 2021, 4:04 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
IATA has a plan: https://www.iata.org/en/programs/passenger/travel-pass/
Domestic USA - Not going to be easy and I expect it will not happen. A vocal minority will stop it.
International US travel: They opponents will not be able to force foreign countries to not enact such a requirement. I expect the IATA format to be used.
Until we know otherwise, the vaccination provides protection only to the inoculated and does not protect others from becoming infected. This may change with the Moderna and Oxford vaccines and more data, but until then, the vaccines will not necessarily allow a fast reopening of air travel, so the issue will be on hold for months if not the year.
Cite reference please?
Is it being indicating that only a minority of American citizens do not support "Travel Papers Please" to go from state to state?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by xzh445
Cite reference please?
Is it being indicating that only a minority of American citizens do not support "Travel Papers Please" to go from state to state?
https://www.businessinsider.com/repu...isagree-2021-3

Yeah, I'm not certain how small that minority is, but if it is a minority, it is definitely a well-funded one.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:31 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
It wouldn't be Constitutional to prohibit state-to-state travel. Besides, there's no way to enforce it when traveling by car, so most people would think it's stupid to prohibit by air or train.
artemis and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:47 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
If there was another pandemic virus, say something like Ebola started spreading in the US, what would happen if they tried to shut down airports and had road blocks or inspection points at major interstates?

[Mod edit]

Because the Constitution allows all kinds of emergency powers, at least under wartime conditions. I don't know if public health emergencies is treated differently in the constitution. But didn't they declare some national emergency? Like when they declare a disaster after a tornado in one state but that is mostly a mechanism to send money and FEMA to affected states.

They did ban non-essential flights from China and Europe, even though flights continue to fly to and from the US to those places.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 1, 2021 at 4:48 am Reason: Redacted OMNI comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.