Covid19 in Switzerland [split off from Swiss / ZRH: Travel experience]

Old Dec 10, 20, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott

Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
unbelievable!
passenger volumes in November fell again by over 80% in comparison to previous month.
No. They fell by 47% vs. the previous month, and 87% vs. November 2019.

Flight movements, which occupy gates, fell by 33% vs. the previous month. Source..
Old Dec 10, 20, 3:05 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
[QUOTE=BinSabai;32875521]unbelievable!
/QUOTE]

Not at all, given the disaster unfolding especially in Switzerland. Pity those who have to travel now.
Old Dec 10, 20, 6:52 am

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by airoli View Post
No. They fell by 47% vs. the previous month, and 87% vs. November 2019.

Flight movements, which occupy gates, fell by 33% vs. the previous month. Source..
Truly shocking statistics
Old Dec 13, 20, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by behuman View Post
Not at all, given the disaster unfolding especially in Switzerland. Pity those who have to travel now.
Pity? I see those that still have a valid reason to travel as the "happy few". I'd love to be in their situation.

Not sure which disaster you are referring to? The situation of the airlines (and the travel industry in general)?
the810 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 20, 11:14 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Pity? I see those that still have a valid reason to travel as the "happy few". I'd love to be in their situation.

Not sure which disaster you are referring to? The situation of the airlines (and the travel industry in general)?
could it be that he refers to the pandemic in general? the high number of positive PCR tests in Switzerland (one of the highest worldwide in relation to the population)
Old Dec 14, 20, 3:54 am

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Switzerland high risk - stay away !

Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
could it be that he refers to the pandemic in general? the high number of positive PCR tests in Switzerland (one of the highest worldwide in relation to the population)
Indeed Switzerland is a super high risk place and even as a Swiss I would refrain from moving around, perhaps in one of the crowded ski resorts (Verbier what a scandal), assist one of the popular illegal parties or transiting ZRH . Major public well respected cantonal hospitals warned about a disaster unfolding. The government is fearsome of the extreme right, under pressure from the restaurant "mafia" and hesitating to act.
Movement between regions should be completely banned or people put under quarantine. The tests are bs. And yes, this will last well into spring.
Old Dec 14, 20, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by behuman View Post
Indeed Switzerland is a super high risk place

So if I travel to Switzerland now there is a very good chance that I will never make it back, or maybe only after having spent weeks in a hospital? What's the chance I survive my visit to Switzerland? 20%? 50%?
Silver Fox and the810 like this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 4:25 am

So if I travel to Switzerland now there is a very good chance that I will never make it back, or maybe only after having spent weeks in a hospital? What's the chance I survive my visit to Switzerland? 20%? 50%?
If you travel from the US to Switzerland, you must now undergo mandatory 10-day quarantine.
Old Dec 14, 20, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
If you travel from the US to Switzerland, you must now undergo mandatory 10-day quarantine.
Yes, I understand that, and I support this type of measures. But the kind of exaggerated fear and panic that we see from people like behuman does not help anyone.
No matter how bad the situation is, it's good to keep everything in perspective IMHO.
Old Dec 14, 20, 5:32 am

Yes, I understand that, and I support this type of measures. But the kind of exaggerated fear and panic that we see from people like behuman does not help anyone.
No matter how bad the situation is, it's good to keep everything in perspective IMHO.
Not traveling unless absolutely necessary has nothing to do with panic, but with consideration for our communities. Bad things do not only happen to others. How would you feel if your grandmother got the virus from you and passed away as a consequence.
This said, travel if your really want / must, but with care and consideration. I think practicing some restraint will get us out quicker and traveling freely again.
Old Dec 14, 20, 8:19 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
I don't think it's panic mongering to discourage travel to Switzerland at the moment.

Switzerland is in a very bad spot pandemic related, just check the numbers and the resulting hospitalizations, so it's only realistic to mention that. Furthermore more restrictions in Switzerland are on their way (too little too late) and you wouldn't want to be stuck here during a lockdown. Arguably, there are worse places to be locked down in, but still.

Given the circumstances and current numbers in Switzerland, the rough chances to die a Covid-19 related death are approximtely 0.075% (tendency rising).
8420PR likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Well hopefully Switzerland has ordered enough vaccines for its people.
Old Dec 14, 20, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
I don't think it's panic mongering to discourage travel to Switzerland at the moment.

Switzerland is in a very bad spot pandemic related, just check the numbers and the resulting hospitalizations, so it's only realistic to mention that. Furthermore more restrictions in Switzerland are on their way (too little too late) and you wouldn't want to be stuck here during a lockdown. Arguably, there are worse places to be locked down in, but still.

Given the circumstances and current numbers in Switzerland, the rough chances to die a Covid-19 related death are approximtely 0.075% (tendency rising).
Actually, travelling ANYWHERE in Europe or the Americas is a VERY bad idea right now. Not sure why you think singling out Switzerland is a good idea..

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
Well hopefully Switzerland has ordered enough vaccines for its people.
15 million doses, which are enough for 7.5 million people, so we should be alright.
behuman likes this.
Old Dec 15, 20, 8:37 am

Programs: LXFF
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
Actually, travelling ANYWHERE in Europe or the Americas is a VERY bad idea right now. Not sure why you think singling out Switzerland is a good idea..
15 million doses, which are enough for 7.5 million people, so we should be alright.
Ha, clearly you won't have enough. Canada ordered 424 Million doses and we are just over 38M... our government thinks we need 10 shoots each
Old Dec 16, 20, 1:01 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ced_lx View Post
Ha, clearly you won't have enough. Canada ordered 424 Million doses and we are just over 38M... our government thinks we need 10 shoots each
...and the acceptance rates of vaccines is somewhere between 60-70%....not all will take it...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: