Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Will vaccine bring business air travel back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will vaccine bring business air travel back?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Anecdotally people who have attended virtual conferences have said they're awful, and stopped attending - so I believe there will be demand for in person conferences. Also if you work in tech support, there sometimes isn't a good online alternative to actually being there.

Stats did show increased productivity initially for WFH, however as time has gone on that has waned - probably as the novelty has worn off, and people feel less pressured to "prove" they are working. A number of businesses who initially said they would go to a WFH model permanently have backtracked. As some others above, I can see a hybrid model, where people split their time between the office and home.

My other half normally travels weekly, and he has clients asking when he can come and visit - he's also desperate to travel again!
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:22 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
What I see in some responses here - confirmation bias. Translation- ‘I am desperate for travel, seems everyone, businesses including, should be in the same position’.

I already wrote what I think. Let’s check in Jan 2022.
:D! and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
People who get vaccinated will likely be more willing to travel after vaccination than they are currently/pre-vaccination. That would suggest that vaccination will drive some recovery in business travel.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:49 am

There is no decision even on horizon to make entry simplified for people who are vaccinated. Considering that generic public is not going to get vaccines next three months, I would keep expectations low.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by invisible
There is no decision even on horizon to make entry simplified for people who are vaccinated. Considering that generic public is not going to get vaccines next three months, I would keep expectations low.
Vaccination passports are already on the horizon. Israel won't be the only country to do this kind of thing: https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus...waiver-1554534
dlaue and DaveS like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Vaccination passports are already on the horizon. Israel won't be the only country to do this kind of thing: https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus...waiver-1554534
Yes I think it will happen. But not until a worthwhile percentage of people flying can actually be vaccinated. There is no point mandating it when it is not available to everyone.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:34 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I hope that businesses take a good look at what proportion of their pre-covid travel was really necessary to increase profitability of their business and what proportion was people having fun at their company's expense. But of course spending more than necessary in order to build relationships can also increase future profitability.

I know that some people used to be sent long-haul very frequently, costing tens of thousands of Ł/€/$ in flexible tickets and hotel stays every year and in some cases I found it hard to believe that they really added that much value to their company - or whether they could add a similar amount of value to their company even if their frequency/duration of travel was halved.

Video conferences may be less efficient but the real question is whether the costs of travel justify the increases in productivity.

The above is a totally different argument to whether people should return en masse to working in offices.

I think if over the next few months vaccines are demonstrated to work on a large scale that will more likely lead to a huge resumption in personal and leisure travel before business.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
This article says that 50-75% of Israelis surveyed will refuse the vaccine!
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by :D!

This article says that 50-75% of Israelis surveyed will refuse the vaccine!
There was a report that 49% of French citizens do not want it either. I don't think it is worth worrying about until the majority of the 51% or even 25% have received it. Those that do not want it may be faced with some difficult choices over their personal freedom (to travel anywhere) in the future.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by DaveS; Dec 17, 2020 at 7:15 am
Old Dec 17, 2020, 4:22 pm

One thing I've noticed... working with existing customers works pretty well virtually...attempting to get new customers is nearly impossible.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
WFM vs in the office and traveling for business are two completely separate things, IMO and to conflate them is a bad argument.

As an academic, in person classes will resume for most by the fall 2021 if not spring 2021. But it’s hard for me to fathom any kind of conference, guest lecture, or most kinds of field work that occurs in person that require airplane travel.

But who knows. Perhaps this prompts the legacy carriers to adopt b6’s mint J model to attract wealthier leisure travelers. I’m certainly no aviation expert
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Donsyb
Anecdotally people who have attended virtual conferences have said they're awful, and stopped attending . . .
This. I attended a couple of fake sessions of a virtual conference in my industry and it was awful. No way I would ask my company to pay for that kind of experience again.
LETTERBOY, the810 and DaveS like this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:32 pm

. . . Do you envision a CFO which would say that ‘we need to go back as it was before?’
The short-sighted bean counters, no. The forward-looking ones who realize competitors will start selling and servicing in person again? Absolutely.
LETTERBOY, the810 and DaveS like this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by volabam
The short-sighted bean counters, no. The forward-looking ones who realize competitors will start selling and servicing in person again? Absolutely.
100k people technology company. WFH and no travel until Jan 2022. Revenue is in the same level or slightly more compared to last year. Opex is significantly down.

This is norm in tech sector at this moment.
nerdbirdsjc likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
100k people technology company. WFH and no travel until Jan 2022. Revenue is in the same level or slightly more compared to last year. Opex is significantly down.

This is norm in tech sector at this moment.
The last sentence is the key. As long as it's the norm and everyone does it, it works well. When your competition starts to travel, they will suddenly have an advantage and your company will need to react.
LETTERBOY, volabam and DaveS like this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by the810
The last sentence is the key. As long as it's the norm and everyone does it, it works well. When your competition starts to travel, they will suddenly have an advantage and your company will need to react.
It is less than 40 days remaining until I am employee of this company after 12 years. So if a competitor wants to take an advantage - I am readily available, if you need a cloud architect, drop me a message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.