Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Traveler arrested after flying SFO-LIH after positive result

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveler arrested after flying SFO-LIH after positive result

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2020, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Potentially. We have no idea if this couple was on vacation, or, the reasons for their travel. People travel - it's a fact of life. To make a statement that someone shouldn't travel unless they have $100,000 set aside for travel expenses, or an additional $15,000 for a month's hotel stay is, dare I say, perhaps a bit of an elitist statement.

This is definitely an interesting side effect for people wanting to return *home* to our islands, as we do not have a lot of other options to safely head home... Well, none in fact.

Last edited by MDTyKe; Dec 5, 2020 at 1:29 pm
Old Dec 5, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Potentially. We have no idea if this couple was on vacation, or, the reasons for their travel. People travel - it's a fact of life. To make a statement that someone shouldn't travel unless they have $100,000 set aside for travel expenses, or an additional $15,000 for a month's hotel stay is, dare I say, perhaps a bit of an elitist statement.

This is definitely an interesting side effect for people wanting to return *home* to our islands, as we do not have a lot of other options to safely head home... Well, none in fact.
If you make the conscious decision to travel during a pandemic for non emergency reasons then you should accept that things might not go as you had planned.

In my opinion they should be banned from United and the full weight of the law brought down on them. They knowingly risked the lives of others. In my eyes that is inexcusable.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

They were on vacation. They had been at a resort in Cabo. They knew they were positive and posted on reddit looking for a way to fly home knowing they were positive. They didn’t want to spend the money for 2 weeks in a hotel and food. There is no excuse for what they did. Posted here. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32861575-post104.html
Old Dec 5, 2020, 5:54 pm

What the couple did was terrible, but getting mad at them and locking them in jail won't stop this happening again. Really it just encourages others in their position to decline the test at SFO.

I blame the SFO setup here. The way to do it is to get UA to prepare a new itinerary for two weeks and hand them a hotel key card on the spot. There's no drama and the people are in quarantine before they've even thought about it.

Edit: I thought they tested positive at the airport, just before the flight, but this is incorrect.

Last edited by cauchy; Dec 5, 2020 at 6:03 pm
Old Dec 5, 2020, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other interesting issue is the Hawaii charge of "reckless endangering" - I don't see what that has to do with the State of Hawaii. The incident occurred in federal airspace, not within the jurisdiction of Hawaii, at all. In fact, their only actions within the jurisdiction of Hawaii was to walk from a plane to the checker folk, and drive home.
They were in the plane when it was in Hawaii. Just because it started outside Hawaii doesn't mean Hawaii doesn't have jurisdiction.

I'm not giving sympathy, but I feel they were effectively "trapped". Go home; where they have resources, and healthcare etc - or be stuck sleeping in an airport in San Francisco for a month.
You don't get to endanger innocents because you're "trapped".
Old Dec 5, 2020, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
You don't get to endanger innocents because you're "trapped".
United endangers the innocents when they promote and encourage "safe" environment fully aware that people will not have any means to return to safety of home.

Lets get real - thousands of people refuse to test and fly anyways (aside from hawaii) and here we are fuming at some family that got caught. Focusing on scapegoats only turns attention away from the real problem.
LETTERBOY and LonghornDXB like this.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
United endangers the innocents when they promote and encourage "safe" environment fully aware that people will not have any means to return to safety of home.

Lets get real - thousands of people refuse to test and fly anyways (aside from hawaii) and here we are fuming at some family that got caught. Focusing on scapegoats only turns attention away from the real problem.
While I have plenty of blame for the airlines that doesn't absolve flying when you know you're infected.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
If you read the fine print of what you're agreeing to when you fly, one of the things you're certifying is that you aren't awaiting the results of a Covid test. Presumably that's to avoid this very situation, where someone gets trapped in transit. It could certainly still happen, for example if you get tested during a long layover, but at least then there's an explicit acceptance of the risk of being stranded. This couple doesn't appear to have thought this through at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.