Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

AstraZeneca [and other] vaccine trial experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AstraZeneca [and other] vaccine trial experience

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This may have come as a surprise to the wider community due to the way information is disclosed but it was a known factor for some months now. The Oxford team had the option of removing this cohort from the study, and recruiting more (there was no shortage of volunteers) but came to the view there was a benefit in continuing this cohort, and then giving the second dose at the full amount.
Originally Posted by radonc1
The fun in research is that it spawns more questions than it answers, which is not a bad thing.
Agreed. No doubt most mistakes or accidents in medicine have horrible results. Also, mistakes or accidents have led to advances in medicine on occasion. Perhaps this will be one of those occasions
Old Nov 29, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Both the MHRA and FDA were made aware of this development some time ago. The Oxford team had the option of removing this cohort from the study, and recruiting more (there was no shortage of volunteers) but came to the view there was a benefit in continuing this cohort, and then giving the second dose at the full amount. .
The alterations in the statistical analysis would be significant if you had a large cohort of your randomized group now excluded from analysis. It probably took the study statisticians little time to determine that the entire study would have to undergo major rewriting if that cohort was excluded. Furthermore, the study is huge so that a small cohort of ineligible patients would not alter the final analysis. Thus, the study proceeded as planned.

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Question from the people on this thread who are way more knowledgeable about vaccine than me: does the Astra-Zeneca vaccine fare better for immunocompromised people than the Pfizer-Biontech/Moderna ones ? Immuno-compromised people (specifically those taking anti-TNF MAB or anti IL-17/6/23 MAB) can not take active vaccine, it must be inactive. I have not read anything yet on that subject and people with such MAB therapies represent more than 1% of the population in Western countries.
Every study has exclusion criteria. In most of those that I deal with, immunocompromised people are excluded.
If you are really interested, look up the study, which will have the exclusion criteria in it

Well for some disease the solution for immunocompromised is herd immunity (measles for example, since MMR is a live vaccine). So I am cautious for the time being and prefer to not hope too much. There is an antibody therapy developed by Pfizer but so far this is in early stage.
There are a slew of questions we will have to answer, but for now, we need a good general purpose effective vaccine that will cover a relatively healthy populus. That would include the usual groups such as elderly and those with chronic illness such as hypertension, obesity and heart disease.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
Furthermore, the study is huge so that a small cohort of ineligible patients would not alter the final analysis. Thus, the study proceeded as planned.
The tricky part here is that they chose to keep the initial group in the study after having got the first results (namely, that there were less adverse reactions to the vaccine among this group). So I am not sure why they are permitted to include this group's results in the whole tally.

Just imagine the opposite: by technical mistake, the initial group would have received 2x the dose with bad side effects and less efficacy. After having noticed and corrected the mistake, would they have included this group in the final tally? Of course not.

So the reason why the initial group counts (and thus pushes the efficacy from 62% to 70%) is because they knew it produced favorable results. This is cherry picking to me, and it slightly invalidates the whole result.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Question from the people on this thread who are way more knowledgeable about vaccine than me: does the Astra-Zeneca vaccine fare better for immunocompromised people than the Pfizer-Biontech/Moderna ones ? Immuno-compromised people (specifically those taking anti-TNF MAB or anti IL-17/6/23 MAB) can not take active vaccine, it must be inactive. I have not read anything yet on that subject and people with such MAB therapies represent more than 1% of the population in Western countries.
My understanding (with the caveat that we don't know a lot about a lot of stuff when it comes to COVID-19 vaccines) is that the concern about using live attenuated vaccine in the immunocompromised is that the attenuated pathogen could revert back to an active pathogen (which has happened with the polio vaccine). However, none of the current COVID-19 vaccines would be considered live, attenuated vaccines in this sense since none of the formulations contain encoded information for a complete pathogen (just an antigenic surface protein), and it is biochemically impossible for an active COVID-19 infection to develop from any of the vaccines (we don't use the word "impossible" a lot in science, but it really applies here).

This could be a little confusing because the AZ vaccine uses a live adenovirus vector to deliver DNA, but the adenovirus strain is considered to be non-pathogenic. I'm not exactly sure how the (Pfizer, Moderna) mRNA gets delivered (lipophilic transfection reagent?) but similarly, no complete SARS-CoV2 pathogen is involved at any stage in the vaccine production process.

At this point, I'd guess (just a guess) that any of the vaccines in development would be considered SAFE for people on immunomodulatory mABs since there's zero chance of developing disease from the vaccine (the side effects can be a bit bothersome though). There is a live non-pathogenic component to the AZ vaccine, but not believed to be problem in the immunocompromised. Whether or not a person on any sort of immunomodulator (or the very young or very old) will have an adequate immune response to be protective is a separate question.
GUWonder and fransknorge like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The UK regulator has approved the Pfizer vaccine today for general use in Britain and dependencies. I would expect the Oxford AZN vaccine to get approval in the next few days.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:22 am

But under the 1-1 or 0.5-1 dosage?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dan1113
But under the 1-1 or 0.5-1 dosage?
I don't know, the head of the MHRA is just about to do a data briefing, which will be covered by BBC News, so we may find out more. But logically both approaches would be approved since they are both over 50%.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 4:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Assuming the UK approves both dosage vaccination regimens for the AstraZ vaccine, who determines which of the two dosage regimens is ideal for any given individual?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Assuming the UK approves both dosage vaccination regimens for the AstraZ vaccine, who determines which of the two dosage regimens is ideal for any given individual?
The UK's approach to vaccination is through 3 channels
- hospital hubs - looking after patients (many high priority anyway) and staff (front line staff are high priority)
- vaccination centres in the major cities - sports stadia and airport car parks for example, for those for are fully mobile
- NHS Primary Care Networks, typically a group of up to a dozen GP surgeries covering about 40,000 residents between them.

I imagine that a standard guideline will be set by the Joint Committee, but for those in the last group, which would be better suited for the AZN vaccine logistically, your GP could prescribe the dose.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:31 am

It seems a quick way to find out if you had the vaccine or the placebo is to start a gofundme for 'vaccine caused' foot blisters.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1768644.html
Over the summer, Patricia Chandler, 30, who lives in Texas, took part in a trial for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, which started being administered in the UK on Tuesday and is likely to be approved for use in the US by the Food and Drug Administration on Thursday.

Five days after her trial ended in October, Ms Chandler started feeling discomfort in her left foot, and discovered swelling and a large blister on its sole, according to the BBC.

When a blister also developed on the sole of her right foot, Ms Chandler saw her doctor, who said that one of the possible causes of the issue was a fixed drug eruption, which is a bad skin reaction to medication.

Concerned that the vaccine trial had caused the reactions on her feet, Ms Chandler spoke to one of her cousins, who set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for her medical bills.
Pfizer stated she received the salt water placebo. Also it's a little bit click-bait as she only raised USD$5k on gofundme.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 8420PR
It seems a quick way to find out if you had the vaccine or the placebo is to start a gofundme for 'vaccine caused' foot blisters.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1768644.html

Pfizer stated she received the salt water placebo. Also it's a little bit click-bait as she only raised USD$5k on gofundme.
Even if the vaccine had caused her foot blisters, wouldn't Pfizer have covered her treatment?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Even if the vaccine had caused her foot blisters, wouldn't Pfizer have covered her treatment?
In general, patients on studies are covered by insurance. Most studies in the US will only enroll patients if their insurance will allow it (so the patient will get certified for protocol coverage prior to enrollment and if denied, will not get enrolled and just receive standard of care therapy.).

Patients on Medicare or Medicaid usually are not an issue unless they are also on a simultaneous Advantage plan which can limit participation in trials. Some studies will pick up copay expense, and if the study has experimental drugs (such as vaccines), those of course are provided gratis.

Post study complications will almost always be covered by insurance.

However, one of the biggest impediments to enrolling people on study (besides the usual concern about studies in general) is the inability to get their insurance company to permit experimental treatment. Very sad
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has the US government offered these firms an indemnity like in the UK, forcing anyone who suffers ill effects months/years down the line to seek compensation in some kind of Vaccine Court?

I thought when I read that, why didn't Boeing think of it for the MAX!

I'm quite impressed that Bibi will be the first in Israel to have the vaccine. That really shows faith when the political leadership are willing to be first. Never mind pensioners.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by hugolover
Has the US government offered these firms an indemnity like in the UK, forcing anyone who suffers ill effects months/years down the line to seek compensation in some kind of Vaccine Court?
Yes,

https://www.hrsa.gov/cicp

News article discussing CICP and it's track record of limited payouts with higher threshold than the VICP.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../14/579150.htm
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is very clever. But it’s not an issue as the “science” says the vaccines are 100% safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.