FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   Vaccine tourism? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2028817-vaccine-tourism.html)

lmk Nov 19, 2020 3:07 am

Vaccine tourism?

Deleted, as the administrator is apparently fine with my original post but not fine with my response to a challenge to it even though it included links to supporting evidence -- therefore I will take the conversation elsewhere.

Silver Fox Nov 19, 2020 3:12 am

You can only come here if you have been vaccinated :)

itsmeitisss Nov 19, 2020 3:12 am

More reliable talk is far fewer than that number starting mid December targeting the elderly first.

lmk Nov 19, 2020 3:23 am

I just love that the NHS is rolling up its sleeves and ready to get this done, while a bunch of yahoos in the US are still arguing over whether the virus is a hoax. :rolleyes:

Above Nov 19, 2020 3:23 am

At the moment, there are no plans to vaccinate the whole population. It would be older, vulnerable and key workers, such as NHS employees first

behuman Nov 19, 2020 3:40 am

Originally Posted by lmk (Post 32829977)
I just love that the NHS is rolling up its sleeves and ready to get this done, while a bunch of yahoos in the US are still arguing over whether the virus is a hoax. :rolleyes:

"Get this done" reminds rather a slogan from a PM which a less happy outcome as a perspective ;).

This said, I hope that our UK friends will at least THIS get done!

invisible Nov 19, 2020 3:48 am

My personal prediction is that generic population will get access to vaccine no early then end of March.

13901 Nov 19, 2020 3:54 am

There are precisely no plans (as in zero, zilch, nada) for vaccinating the part of the UK population that isn't a health worker, elderly or infirm. Which, as far as I'm concerned (I'm 30-something with no health issues) is fair. The morally correct thing is to protect the health workers and those who risk ending dead first.

MSPeconomist Nov 19, 2020 3:58 am

Originally Posted by lmk (Post 32829966)
The UK's NHS apparently has detailed plans to start vaccinations en masse as early as Dec. 1 or whenever the vaccine becomes available, and will have access to 335 million doses. At two doses per person, that's enough for 167.5 million people -- and there are fewer than 70 million people in the UK.

This makes me wonder about the eventual possibility of vaccine tourism -- traveling overseas specifically to get vaccinated.

Are there other countries similarly well-positioned to administer lots of doses of the vaccine (and open to visitors)?

What's the timing for all those doses? It could be a multi-year contract with implicit plans to give people two shots every year......or the UK/NHS could plan to sell the excess to the highest bidder.

Will private clinics/doctors in the UK have access to the vaccine for their patients/customers?

lmk Nov 19, 2020 4:01 am

So is the article in The Guardian that I linked to in the OP incorrect? It says the NHS are starting with 22 million vulnerable adults, "followed by the rest of the population." And that they've ordered 335 million doses.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...s-vaccinations

Why would they order 335 million doses if they only intend to vaccinate health workers, the elderly, and the infirm?

scottishpoet Nov 19, 2020 4:31 am

I believe the article and the comments above are correct. I do not see them as contradictory

335m ordered for delivery over what time frame?

Plan to vaccinate everyone, start with the 22m most at risk, that starts early december. How long will that take? I reckon 3 months just for the 1st jabs.

Hezu Nov 19, 2020 4:34 am

Originally Posted by lmk (Post 32830003)
So is the article in The Guardian that I linked to in the OP incorrect? It says the NHS are starting with 22 million vulnerable adults, "followed by the rest of the population." And that they've ordered 335 million doses.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...s-vaccinations

Why would they order 335 million doses if they only intend to vaccinate health workers, the elderly, and the infirm?

I believe that even when there is such large order of vaccines, it will take time before the drug companies can deliver that many doses since there is limited production capacity and high demand worldwide. But presumably these vaccines are delivered in batches and it makes sense to start using these as soon as the vaccines are available and the first batches will go to healthcare workers and the risk groups.

lmk Nov 19, 2020 4:51 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet (Post 32830030)
I believe the article and the comments above are correct. I do not see them as contradictory

335m ordered for delivery over what time frame?

Plan to vaccinate everyone, start with the 22m most at risk, that starts early december. How long will that take? I reckon 3 months just for the 1st jabs.

13901 said "There are precisely no plans (as in zero, zilch, nada) for vaccinating the part of the UK population that isn't a health worker, elderly or infirm." That seemed to me to contradict the article, hence why I asked.

NWIFlyer Nov 19, 2020 5:39 am

I think your confusion may lie in the structure and span of the UK's orders. I don't doubt, to keep this more widely focused, that many other countries will have taken the same approach.

There are, of course, many different vaccines being researched. The UK hedged its bets by placing provisional orders with a number of different developers, recognising that not all of them would ever come to fruition - the irony being that one of the two announced thus far, Moderna, was not one of those with pre-orders. Some of those options, with very large orders against them, have not really progressed at all and are likely to be overtaken by events.

So of that 335m outstanding, the reality is that perhaps around a third might end up actually being deliverable, and that over many months. That's enough, in time, to vaccinate pretty much the whole adult population but it doesn't leave much over.

In terms of the question being asked on access to private sources - in the UK at least that's not likely to happen, so that's one country off the tourism map!

scottishpoet Nov 19, 2020 6:04 am

Originally Posted by lmk (Post 32830047)
13901 said "There are precisely no plans (as in zero, zilch, nada) for vaccinating the part of the UK population that isn't a health worker, elderly or infirm." That seemed to me to contradict the article, hence why I asked.

Ahhh the joys of English, I plan to find a new job, but that does not mean I have an actual plan, phases, dates, targets, more that it is an aspiration.

I do believe that the UK government plans a mass vaccination.

I do not believe that means there is a detailed plan of how or when that will happen. I hope that makes sense.

Hence I agree with the article that the plan is a mass vaccination, however agree with 13901 that, as of today, there is no plan for vaccinating the part of the UK population that isn't a health worker, elderly or infirm