Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Worldwide Infection Rates and Developments (was Europe only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worldwide Infection Rates and Developments (was Europe only)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by littlefish
Meanwhile, any updates on the Slovakian mass testing? That would seem to fit in this new thread?
The government refuses to release comprehensive data, instead the PM keeps posting on Facebook how everyone wants to copy his brilliant idea 😀 Matovic is essentially the central European version of Trump.

Last edited by the810; Nov 16, 2020 at 12:05 pm
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:24 pm
Original Poster
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by littlefish
These newer (and faster) tests are a fantastic development. They will, however, likely change the data gathering and reporting landscape significantly.

Meanwhile, any updates on the Slovakian mass testing? That would seem to fit in this new thread?
I posted some updates with link in the fact based thread, you might have to go a few pages back. The second round was completed with a halving of positive results.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:29 am
Suspended

fransknorge and others with in-depth knowledge of the virus spread:

For personal reasons (I've got family and friends there), I follow the developments in the UK closely. I noticed for at least a week or so, it appeared some of the hardest-hit areas in England were reaching a plateau. But now I take another look a some places and it seems it's going back up. For instance, in the City of Manchester, numbers seemed to level off to an incidence of 500 or 600 and now they're back up at 1022.

Do you guys have a story for these wild swings (perhaps not at the local, but at the national level)? I mean, I have some conjectures, but IDK if they make any sense.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:48 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

I do not follow enough the local details in the UK to have a precise idea, just some conjectures. One main thesis is that this is the effect of the big party before the lockdown: lots of people went into pubs and restaurants in order to have a "last one" before the lockdown (as it was announced several days prior to its entry in force) and that the rebound is due to that, as it is now 14 days after.
flyertalker28120 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Two weeks into the English lockdown, UK infection rates should by now be starting to show a clear and sustained fall.

I've spent the last two weeks in London, being unable to enter Wales at the moment, and it is clear that the "lockdown" exists largely in name only. The roads are busy, the parks are full of large groups ignoring social distancing and the supermarkets are only half-heartedly limiting customer numbers. The number of people making "essential" purchases at B&Q on Sunday was surprising.

If infection rates are not falling by the end of this week I think we can consider the lockdown to have been a failure.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
What's striking to me in CWS' daily data is how France is now on a clear down slope. This is too early compared to the date of the start of the lockdown there, so it must be explained by something else. Could it be that the curfew orders in big cities/heavily affected areas have actually had an effect? (Of course, it could be due to lower testing because that line seems to be going down too, and without explanation, but not by that much)
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Misco60
Two weeks into the English lockdown, .....

While announced on October 31st the 2nd lockdown did not start until Nov 5th. Still a couple of days to go till we get to 2 weeks

With schools not closed then it may be this lockdown plateaus and falls more slowly. hopefully in the next few days we will see things turn around.

What you are saying about UK behaviours in this lockdown is similar to what I have seen to the higher levels of restrictions currently in place in Poland. We are starting to see numbers fall. We moved to this level of restrictions about a week before the UK did. one key difference, we did close our schools. currently national official reported numbers seem to be lower than last week, but higher than 2 weeks ago so the 14 day average is still going up.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Nov 17, 2020 at 6:47 am
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
While announced on October 31st the 2nd lockdown did not start until Nov 5th. Still a couple of days to go till we get to 2 weeks...
If you wish to split hairs, today is the 13th day of the lockdown.

But I was trying to make a general point, not be precise about how long it is since we were locked down.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
from what I have seen most places across Europe cases continue to rise for at least a week after the lockdown starts, which means the 14 day number will not fall much.

I think the graph looks like the cases are not accelerating so quickly and hopefully start falling. The number 2 weeks ago today was lower than the days around it.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
For those interested, the published new case numbers for Switzerland do not include rapid tests.

While case numbers start to come down, the positivity is still fairly high at ~20%

Mortality rate is increasing. We are now at 11.4/100k deaths.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Switzerland f***cked up big time, I guess the price to pay to let it rip:
Excess death are trending at similar level as the first wave. And Swiss federation of ICU doctors released a media note today, saying that there are no more beds available of the 876 usual beds. They say everyone should now think about their end-of-life advanced directives (do not resuscitate etc, especially high risk people).

https://www.sgi-ssmi.ch/files/Dateiv...1117_DE_10.pdf
florens, nk15 and flyertalker28120 like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 5:05 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
It seems Sweden's growth rate is now slowing down significantly. Do we know what is their positivity rate? I wonder if this is because of testing capacity or because of changes in people's behaviour (Stockholm is now significantly quieter than it was few weeks ago).
Old Nov 18, 2020, 5:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The positivity rate in Stockholm and Sweden has skyrocketed in the past week or two.

It's both testing and changes in behavior, but the more meaningful way to monitor how goes the situation in Stockholm is done via the sewage system monitoring.

People de-camping from Stockholm (to elsewhere in Sweden) has consequences for the rest of Sweden, and there is a lot of that which has gone on in recent weeks and days as the message goes out more to "work from 'home' when possible".

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 18, 2020 at 5:35 am
Old Nov 18, 2020, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Just a small methodological note that since yesterday French figures include positives from antigenic testing. Yesterday in fact added all the backlog (apparently) from antigenic tests carried out all the way since October (about 33,000).

Note that antigenic tests are not included in the positivity rate (which would go down quite a bit if they were) which continues do decrease regularly every day.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by the810
It seems Sweden's growth rate is now slowing down significantly. Do we know what is their positivity rate? I wonder if this is because of testing capacity or because of changes in people's behaviour (Stockholm is now significantly quieter than it was few weeks ago).
The positivity rate is climbing still (minus 1 day but this is enough to make a trend)

*:

7 out of 21 regions in Sweden are at 100% capacity for testing since a week:
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/l...or-provtagning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.