Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Commonpass - Is this the light at the end of the tunnel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Commonpass - Is this the light at the end of the tunnel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Given that tests have false negatives, how many tests would *prove* that one won't transmit the virus? Unless the word "proof" has some wiggle room not included in the meaning of this word, no numbers of tests would ever be sufficient unless the test is absolutely accurate with no false negatives at all, ever.

If we're talking about some acceptable level of risk to be determined by policy, words like prove and proof should be avoided.
I suspect that test results are only a stopgap measure, and that once vaccines are "widely" available enough, it will quickly change to a vaccine requirement.

I would think the closest thing we have to a "proof" with tests right now is an antibody which shows that you have Covid and got over it (and strongly implies, though does not 100% prove, that you are still immune). There is no "proof" that you haven't gotten Covid yet. So "proof" of immunity (from past Covid or from a vaccine) seems a lot stronger than so-called "proof" of not having it now. The problem is that comparatively few people have had Covid yet, so until vaccines are more widely available, that better kind of "proof" wouldn't be very practical.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I suspect that test results are only a stopgap measure, and that once vaccines are "widely" available enough, it will quickly change to a vaccine requirement.
Yes, for better or worse, this certainly seems to be the likely route. I suppose many frequent travellers are, like me, accustomed to satisfying various health and visa requirements for certain destinations, so adding a COVID vaccination requirement wouldn't be a huge surprise.

Interesting that the yellow book doesn't seem likely to be used, but the yellow book is an antiquated system and easy to forge, in any case. Perhaps this will spur the replacement of the yellow book also.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
I doubt this will come into effect because the wheels of bureaucracy turn so slow by the time anything close to this would be implemented the crisis will already have long been over. Colombia and Ecuador had testing requirements and then quickly backtracked after they realized enforcing it was a mess and not really doing anything to stop the spread.

I also believe that people are assuming everyone has to be vaccinated for life to get back to normal, but the reality is vaccinating the 10% most vulnerable of society will result in 80% drop in deaths and hospitalizations. I believe this will occur rather quickly in the next 2-3 months.

So basically my prediction is most countries open up this summer (with asia in the fall), and these wacky ideas never come to be. We'll see if I was off the ball or not.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by LHR FLYER
It feels like with enough traction and attention this could be the new normal / way forward. Right now countries are just operating independently - could the below be the new recognised way of allowing travel to resume? One system recognised by all countries (or most)?

Waiting for countries to start working together to reopen borders is pointless - bureaucrats don't fix anything. It takes entrepreneurs to look at a problem and come up with a solution - could this be it? Should the major airlines get round the table and take a serious look at this and decide "were going to back this and push for its implementation'?

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/trave...tl-ldn-vpx.cnn
Sure, border control agencies around the world can just stand down and let's put SolarWinds in charge. They seem to have good idea on how to make money for their owners while creating chaos for US security agencies.

So might you please explain which countries will give up sovereignty so that entrepreneurs can make money in finding solutions?

My guess is your post is in gest, so is mine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.