Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

USA entry for UK citizens after Cuba 'quarantine holiday'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA entry for UK citizens after Cuba 'quarantine holiday'

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2020, 1:28 am
Gaz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Lightbulb USA entry for UK citizens after Cuba 'quarantine holiday'

Hi all. Wife's parents are planning to visit us in California for Xmas. They're UK citizens and residents. We're USA PRs.

Currently, entry to the US is prohibited for anyone who has been in the UK over the past 14 days. Therefore, they are planning to initially fly LHR-HAV, then HAV-MIA after 16 days, which takes care of the US entry requirements and allows them to see a country they have always wanted to go to.

How likely are they to encounter problems? Whilst they are following the rules, I know there is also a chance that when flying to MIA, they might get an agent telling them "You're British, and British people are banned from the US right now" or similar. I haven't travelled since February, so I am rather out of the picture with how accurately entry requirements to the US are being handed at outstations. Any help or advice appreciated!
Old Oct 27, 2020, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Gaz
Hi all. Wife's parents are planning to visit us in California for Xmas. They're UK citizens and residents. We're USA PRs.

Currently, entry to the US is prohibited for anyone who has been in the UK over the past 14 days. Therefore, they are planning to initially fly LHR-HAV, then HAV-MIA after 16 days, which takes care of the US entry requirements and allows them to see a country they have always wanted to go to.

How likely are they to encounter problems? Whilst they are following the rules, I know there is also a chance that when flying to MIA, they might get an agent telling them "You're British, and British people are banned from the US right now" or similar. I haven't travelled since February, so I am rather out of the picture with how accurately entry requirements to the US are being handed at outstations. Any help or advice appreciated!
I don't know about the border formalities, but quick search reveals that currently there don't seem to be any non-stop LHR-HAV flights and although AA's HAV-MIA flights appear on flight lists, those are cancelled by default, so that may hinder the usability of this routing from UK to US.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
It is permitted and many people reported success with this strategy (although usually via Mexico). There is no rule saying that Brits can't enter the US.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not sure I would put much faith in a plan involving flights from the UK to Cuba and Cuba to the US.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 8:40 pm
Gaz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Thanks all for the helpful replies!

Hezu - it was actually LGW, rather than LHR - my bad, but I imagine their Cuban flights will be cancelled anyway given the UK has just banned residents from taking vacations during the whole month of November (!)
Old Nov 2, 2020, 8:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
This previous thread should be of use to you https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...ta-mexico.html

And it suggests this should be fine.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Currently tourists cannot currently fly in or out of Havana, only via these places - Cayo Coco, Cayo Cruz or Cayo Guillermo - via charter airlines only. It is due to re-open this month, but I haven't seen any confirmation.

I would suggest Mexico might be the better route?
Old Nov 7, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
That plan would work, per current restrictions; if of course you can get flights from Cuba->US. Likely you'll have to go via Mexico
Old Nov 9, 2020, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
On the basis that the risks of catching the disease increase each time you go through an airport, it would seem sensible to try for non-stop flights wherever possible. Mexico City does seem the safest and most sensible of these options, and is also an interesting place to visit and spend 14 days. It seems to me that the biggest risk is likely to be that the Presidential Proclamation changes while in Mexico City, but I guess that's more likely to happen on or shortly after January 20.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.