Search

Keeping safe on a short road trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:22 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Thanks for the advice

It’s literally a 2 Hour drive . to an Airbnb cabin that we were referred to by a friend , with impeccable. Cleaning standards. I’m had just read a lot about gas stations in particular. So I think will be OK.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Sorry but you can get the virus from hard surfaces

Not as likely but possible.
I only posted here because I’ve read so many accounts of gas stations in particular as opposed to stores etc. So thanks a lot for the advice.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most gas stations have paper towel dispensers near the pumps. Grab a paper towel (or more) and use it for protection when you use the pump and the windshield washer. If you pay by credit card at the pump, you can use a paper towel againl, wipe the screen and keyboard with a sanitizing wipe, of use your knuckle to tap on the keyboard and touchscreen.

I keep sanitizing wipes and hand wipes in my car, plus I have sanitizing hand gel with me at all times.

I've also been trying to avoid valet parking since COVID-19 started, but this doesn't seem like it will be an issue for the OP. For others, be sure to choose a hotel that allows self park, ideally in an outdoor lot.....or plan to wipe surfaces and perhaps spray Lysol every time you get the car back.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickg523
Pay at the pump and use hand sanitizer right after you finish.
Wear a mask outside your car.
Shouldn't be a problem.
That's how I have been handling it. I assume anything I'm touching is hot, I sanitize when I get back to the car and I wipe down my key ring with my still-wet hands.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by squeakr
It’s literally a 2 Hour drive . to an Airbnb cabin that we were referred to by a friend , with impeccable. Cleaning standards. I’m had just read a lot about gas stations in particular. So I think will be OK.
Call me crazy, but "I've read a lot about" sounds suspiciously close to "I've heard a lot about" which is very close to "my aunt's sister's cousin's barber heard from one of his customers that..."

The internet is full of things to read about. Not a lot of it has any basis in fact.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
I buy gas once a week or so.

I don’t wear a mask or gloves when I pump the gas.

I usually try to touch the keypad with my knuckle or my pinkie, though.

I don’t sanitize my hands afterward. I do generally wash them when I get where I am going, but I did that before Covid as well.

I do admit that I will not use the B side of a pump that is occupied on the A side unless I can’t avoid it.

I have not until now heard anything about gas stations being hotspots.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:15 pm

If it is only a 2 hour drive each way, why would you need to stop at a gas station? I’m guessing you’re looking at Max 300 miles RT. Do you have a gas guzzler?

stopping to use the restroom is, of course, a different kettle of corn.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalVol
If it is only a 2 hour drive each way, why would you need to stop at a gas station? I’m guessing you’re looking at Max 300 miles RT. Do you have a gas guzzler?
You're assuming the tank is currently full. If OP hasn't purchased gasoline since the start of the pandemic, those little trips to the store have likely depleted the tank.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
When this first started, the feeling was that gas stations were the highest risk of all activities but the knowledge of this virus has expanded since then and two particular aspects are relevant here - first that the virus is much more likely to spread indoors than outdoor, and second that, while it can sit on surfaces, it's much less of a risk than initially thought.

In such circumstances, and given that food and gas are probably the two necessities for leading any form of life, and given that gas is purchased entirely outdoors, I don't see it as a major problem - simply sanitize the pump handle before you start with wipes, then sanitize your hands when you finish. No need for gloves or masks or the other bits of COVID virtue signalling, just good practice. (Oh, and don't go and hug the person at the next pump!)
Old Oct 16, 2020, 4:15 am
Suspended

This is a depressing read
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
As a provider I am very concerned and aware of viral transmission for both my health and that of others.

With that being said, I drive around 600 miles a week, fill my tank around 2 times a week, and have never been concerned (at least for the last 4 months) about viral spread at gas stations.
I don't wear a mask to fill, nor gloves when operating the hose or pump
I am unconcerned about the other side of the pump as long as I maintain social distancing which one would do in any circumstance
I do sanitize after use (have a bottle in my car)
I have not used toilets in gas stations, but I have in restaurants and I do use a mask and wash after use.

While no one guarantees that the virus will not nab you, using "reasonable" precautions should be more than adequate.

However, as I tell my patients, "do what makes you happy"
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:03 am
Original Poster

We don’t have a car

Originally Posted by CalVol
If it is only a 2 hour drive each way, why would you need to stop at a gas station? I’m guessing you’re looking at Max 300 miles RT. Do you have a gas .
We are renting a car and ha ve asked it be full but have no control over that. And if it is full we will. Have to fill it before we return it.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
We are renting a car and ha ve asked it be full but have no control over that. And if it is full we will. Have to fill it before we return it.
Prepay at pickup for a full tank of gas and problem solved.

Not too many reputable RC companies send out their cars partially full, and if they do ask you to take a car partially full, just ask them to fill it up before you take possession of it. They probaby will.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't you put gas in your car at home? Why would it be any different on your trip.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not found gas stations to present higher risk than other places I have been, such as the grocery store. To make it as safe as possible, you can wipe down the keypad / handle with a lysol wipe before you start, ensure you don't fill up with someone next to you, wear your mask, sanitize your hands after you have filled up with gas. Given that this is a rental car, I would take more precautions with that, in terms of wiping down the surfaces with lysol wipes, maybe using the lysol spray and leaving the car to sit for a short while, etc. sin ce you don't know who was in the car, or what they touched before you got it (both in terms of the renter and their family, but also employees who moved / cleaned the car). All this said, I think the trip idea poses low risk, and hope you have a good time! I know the only trip I took (2 hours drive, apartment in a hotel, ate outside etc.) was very good for my mental health.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.