FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   Unmarried partners from third countries can enter Germany again (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2024791-unmarried-partners-third-countries-can-enter-germany-again.html)

AAbuzzard Sep 9, 2020 2:22 pm

Unmarried partners from third countries can enter Germany again

On Aug 10 the GERMAN PRESIDENCY OF THE COUNCIL OF THE EU announced that unmarried partners from third countries can enter Germany again, with proper documentation. https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/k...-paare-en.html In my case, I am in a ten-year relationship with my GF in Munich, and we have spent extensive time together over the years. (I've counted my trips to Europe over that timespan--44.) I am a US citizen. I'v e searched with success FT for information on what travelers have experienced since this policy was issued a month ago as I have a flight booked from Lubbock, TX to Munich, on AA, on September 29 (that's just a few days before new quarantine rules go into effect). I have all my documentation in hand (handwritten invitation letter from GF; completed and signed official "declaration" with both of our original signatures (https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/d...cationFile&v=5); print-outs of personal blogposts as well as joined AirBnB receipts and flight tickets that prove that we have met before "at least once") to satisfy the official requirements under this policy. However, I am extremely concerned about not being able to board either my originating flight or my connecting international flight to London, where I am scheduled to transit on the way to MUC. I am well aware that things change very quickly these days, and I am aware of test and quarantine requirements; this question is simply meant to find out whether others have already used this avenue to see their partners and what their experience has been. Apologies if there's already a thread dedicated to this, but I couldn't find anything.

PS: IATA's world travel map does mention "unmarried partners." https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

LondonElite Sep 10, 2020 2:40 am

I suggest you send an email to the Bundespolizei. Google it and you will find the address. I’m posting from a phone so can’t link the other threads it’s been mentioned in. They are the ultimate decision maker and their reply will suffice for an agent at boarding.

MSPeconomist Sep 10, 2020 7:51 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32665038)
I suggest you send an email to the Bundespolizei. Google it and you will find the address. I’m posting from a phone so can’t link the other threads it’s been mentioned in. They are the ultimate decision maker and their reply will suffice for an agent at boarding.

This is the reality for entering Germany, but won't help with airline agents. What does TIMATIC say? It's the source that will be used to determine whether the OP can board flights or not.

Also, is LHR a same-day connection on the same ticket/PNR? It might be better to avoid transit through third countries if possible. (Does AA fly to FRA nonstop from the USA at this time?)

LondonElite Sep 10, 2020 7:54 am

I don't believe TIMATIC has the ability to distinguish your marital status though. An email from the BP should work, though.

AAbuzzard Sep 10, 2020 10:08 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32665438)
This is the reality for entering Germany, but won't help with airline agents. What does TIMATIC say? It's the source that will be used to determine whether the OP can board flights or not.

Also, is LHR a same-day connection on the same ticket/PNR? It might be better to avoid transit through third countries if possible. (Does AA fly to FRA nonstop from the USA at this time?)

Same day, within a few hours, morning of Sep 30, same PNR. I'm on a biz award ticket, AA metal to LHR and then BA. I would have preferred to go directly DFW to MUC but of course no award tickets available.

NewbieRunner Sep 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by AAbuzzard (Post 32663898)
However, I am extremely concerned about not being able to board either my originating flight or my connecting international flight to London, where I am scheduled to transit on the way to MUC.

There should be no problem boarding a flight from DFW to LHR since the UK allows any passport holders to enter (subject to visa requirements) as long as those from non-exempt countries such as the US self-isolate for 14 days or leave the UK during self-isolation if staying less than 14 days. The fact you are transiting in London probably might not make any difference though you may have to show your papers again at LHR.

GUWonder Sep 10, 2020 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32665438)

The airline reps do indeed most commonly default to using TIMATIC, but the passenger’s prior contact with the German National Police may help the passenger even with airline agents when/if the airline rep/station is seeking advice/clarification from afar from the BP about passenger admissibility conditions for Germany.

The BP also have a pretty responsive set up to answer and respond to airlines’ inquiries even about individual passenger admissibility.

steveintaichung Sep 13, 2020 4:09 am

Does "third country" mean non-Germans, or non-EUs (including the UK)? Can a UK non-married partner visit their partner in Germany under this arrangement, or can they visit anyway (by virtue of brexit transitional arrangements)?

The _Banking_Scot Sep 13, 2020 4:36 am

Originally Posted by steveintaichung (Post 32671955)
Does "third country" mean non-Germans, or non-EUs (including the UK)? Can a UK non-married partner visit their partner in Germany under this arrangement, or can they visit anyway (by virtue of brexit transitional arrangements)?

Hi,
Welcome to flyertalk stevintaichung!
No restrictions on UK citizens visiting germany ( and also no need to self isolate on the return to the UK)

Regards

TBS