Wiki Posts
Search

US citizen connecting in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2020, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
US citizen connecting in Europe?

I know there's a ban on US citizens entering Schengen area, but if I'm just connecting (SFO-ZRH-IST) – is that allowed?
Old Sep 4, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
As of August 31 ZRH and GVA have banned transit for US passports. Other European airports should still be ok.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
As of August 31 ZRH and GVA have banned transit for US passports. Other European airports should still be ok.
Thanks, this definitely changes my plans then.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Are you sure ? That doesn't make sense to me (but of course that doesn't mean it's not true as we are seeing daily some ridiculous measures taken everywhere). What I read recently was that Switerland wanted to close the loophole of Americans transiting through UK to enter Schengen area, so when they see a US passeport at the entry in Switzerland, they check the "real" itinerary of the person. But I never read about forbidding to connect in Switzerland international to international for US citizens.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 3:41 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...t-switzerland/

Those planning to transit Switzerland in their way to their destination country can no longer do so if they depart from one of the countries in Switzerland’s list of high-risk areas.

As of Monday, August 31, those departing from countries with a high number of Coronavirus cases, which have been marked as high-risk countries by the Swiss authorities, will no longer be able to transit through any of the international airports in Switzerland, upon a decision taken by the Swiss Federal Council, amid an increasing number of infections in the country.

The decision will, however, not affect those reaching Switzerland from a non-high-risk country, even if they have a stopover in a high-risk country. The sole condition for these travellers is that they must not leave the international area of the airport.

Under the new rules, which apply from August 31, the country of departure, not the stopover country, determines whether travellers may enter Switzerland. For example, it is no longer possible for third-country nationals to fly to Switzerland from the USA via Toronto,” explains a press release published by the State Secretariat for Migration.

So far, the now-banned category of travellers, have been able to enter Switzerland as the decisive factor for entry into the country has been the country of departure of the incoming flight with which a person has reach the Swiss territory. The departure country of any previous connecting flights was not taken into account.
This new regulation intends to prevent people from using loopholes in the entry requirements by travelling in transit via countries which are not on the high-risk list
Old Sep 6, 2020, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be clear, this is a matter of where one has been, not simply citizenship.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thank you fransknorge for posting details, but the article is confusing. At the beginning, you understand that it’s not possible to transit in Switzerland coming from a high risk country, but then all the examples they give after are about Switzerland as a final destination coming from a high risk country and transiting somewhere in between.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
That article is incorrect. The loophole they are closing as of 31 August is about entering Switzerland from a high-risk country through a low-risk or permitted country (most often cited example being US->Canada->Switzerland). International to international airside transfers at ZRH are still permitted.

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...603#1721735239
Goldorak likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 9:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
The loophole they are closing as of 31 August is about entering Switzerland from a high-risk country through a low-risk or permitted country (most often cited example being US->Canada->Switzerland). International to international airside transfers at ZRH are still permitted.

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...603#1721735239
Yes.

It will be interesting to see if they start being more restrictive toward those US persons who have been emailing them at [email protected] seeking an exemption by including the business appointment details, reason for its urgency/need as a personal visit and more.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Weird. This shouldn't be as confusing as it is.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The iata site here which has all the specific country by country coronavirus restrictions https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

For Switzerland it was updated on 31 August and under transit it states:

2. Passengers are not allowed to transit if arriving from a non-Schengen Member State to another Schengen Member State.

This does not apply to:
- nationals of EEA Member States and Switzerland;
- British nationals;
- passengers arriving directly from Andorra, Australia, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Georgia, Ireland (Rep.), Japan, Korea (Rep.), Monaco, New Zealand, Romania, Rwanda, San Marino, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay or Vatican City (Holy See). If they transit through other countries, they must stay in the international transit area of the airport;
- family members of nationals of EEA Member States and Switzerland;
- family members of British nationals;
- residents of EEA Member States and Switzerland;
- passengers with a D visa issued by Switzerland;
- passengers with a Schengen C visa issued by Switzerland after 16 March 2020.
I agree that arriving from the US and transiting at ZRH to a flight to any Schengen country wouldn't be possible. Also I agree any SFO-ZRH-IST wouldn't be possible if it were necessary to enter Switzerland and go landside.

However,
why wouldn't an airside transit for SFO-ZRH-IST be possible for the OP?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
US citizen connecting through Spain

Any recent experience of people connecting through Spain? Will be going ATL-AMS-BCN then on to Croatia (changing airlines) this weekend and I'm a bit nervous given feedback from others several weeks back.

Last edited by phatty; Sep 8, 2020 at 3:14 pm
Old Sep 8, 2020, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If this is not on one ticket, are you permitted to enter Spain?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 2:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by phatty
Any recent experience of people connecting through Spain? Will be going ATL-CDG-BCN then on to Croatia (changing airlines) this weekend and I'm a bit nervous given feedback from others several weeks back.
Assuming you are a US citizen & resident, are you aware of the following for transiting France if you also plane to transit Spain?

France Transit2.
Warning:
- A completed International Travel Certificate must be presented prior to boarding and to immigration upon arrival or when transiting France. The certificate can be obtained at consulates or at https://www.interieur.gouv.fr
- Passengers transiting through two airports in the Schengen Area must comply with entry regulations of the first Schengen Member State.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
KARFA, I was not aware of that - thank you for providing it. Though I pasted incorrectly as my flight changed last week and I'm now going through Amsterdam instead of France. I will look to see if the Netherlands has something similar.

LondonElite, I'm not sure - that's why I'm asking! From what I can tell if you show you're connecting it shouldn't be an issue. But I've also been told that Spain changes their mind daily about allowing Americans to transfer through even if it's on one ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.