Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How to find affordable extended stay accommodation [in US] while minimising risk?

How to find affordable extended stay accommodation [in US] while minimising risk?

Old Aug 31, 20, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance

Note - the question below is asked for US major metropolitan areas but would be interested to know for other regions as well.

What would be the approach to the situation if one needs to find affordable accommodation during the extended several weeks stay while minimising risk of exposure to Covid?

In a way airbnb could be an option as long as no one else is sharing the same property, however I really do not know how reliable such solution is for several weeks stay.

‘Extended Stay America’ and similar businesses would be great for minimising the risk but unfortunately the price point would be difficult to meet - the requirement is less than $2000 for 30-40 days stay.

How desperate hotels are now for business? Have you tried to email them something like: ‘Hey, I would like to stay at your property for extended time but I can’t afford the daily rate of nnn. Instead, I am offering you $$$ for stayin at your property for nn days. Please let me know if you are interested’

P.S. Sorry if above sounds naive but I have been living outside of US for >10 years and last time I stayed at a major hotel chain was 8 years ago, just don’t know reality of the ground.

Last edited by invisible; Aug 31, 20 at 9:54 pm
Old Sep 1, 20, 3:34 am

I've found airbnb to be a good option in many many places outside the US for extended stays. Some hosts offer very generous discounts on 4 week+ stays. Inside the US, where I have happened to look, the options have not been appealing.
Old Sep 1, 20, 4:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
With so many Americans on the brink of being evicted from rental units and struggling with unemployment and reduced income, there should be a greater number of people looking for a short-time escape from housing costs and renting out their furnished places to help buy time to get back on their feet. While some of them may use AirBnB to do so, some of them may look for lower cost outlets to rent out their furnished places.

Lots of university areas may have more than usual amounts of short-term housing available, even if the universities are back in operation with students on campus to some degree.
Old Sep 1, 20, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist
Try some corporate housing, such as Sonder
https://www.sonder.com
Old Sep 1, 20, 12:36 pm

If there's any nearby, there's some Residence Inns and TownePlace Suites in the US that are Marriott Category 1. Assuming standard award pricing, that's 30,000 pts for 5 nights. With most people valuing points at 0.7 cents a night, or even less now, that's like $42 a night or about $1,700 for 40 nights.

The hard part is if you aren't staying in a city with a category 1 extended stay. Might not even be that hard to get the 240k points needed starting from scratch if you had enough time on churning Marriott cards.

Last edited by Schweden; Sep 1, 20 at 12:53 pm
Old Sep 1, 20, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A hotel's published rate is likely to reflect market conditions. Don't forget that in hotspot areas, most hotels are closed and thus there is most certainly demand for what is open. In any event, an email such as you propose is likely to not even draw a response. If you want to negotiate, try calling and speaking with a manager during business hours.

I see $50 (presumably including taxes which can amount to 15-20%) per night as low. I would be concerned on the low end of the scale that anything in a major city charging that little won't be sufficiently sanitizing the rooms and surfaces you may touch.

Check out Air BNB. You want a place to yourself that is smallish and not fussy. Be prepared to scrub it from top to bottom on arrival (even if the owner says she has done so) and then keep it clean yourself so that others are not entering.

If you want specific advice, you will need to provide a specific location as well as your flexibility. E.g. will you have a car or must it be near public transport. Different cities will have different realities,
Old Sep 3, 20, 12:42 pm

For some reason, the same property is most always more expensive on AirBNB than on VRBO. I use VRBO all the time. But check them both out, comparing the price. A lot of property owners place their properties on both.
Old Sep 3, 20, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Note - the question below is asked for US major metropolitan areas but would be interested to know for other regions as well.

What would be the approach to the situation if one needs to find affordable accommodation during the extended several weeks stay while minimising risk of exposure to Covid?

In a way airbnb could be an option as long as no one else is sharing the same property, however I really do not know how reliable such solution is for several weeks stay.

‘Extended Stay America’ and similar businesses would be great for minimising the risk but unfortunately the price point would be difficult to meet - the requirement is less than $2000 for 30-40 days stay.

How desperate hotels are now for business? Have you tried to email them something like: ‘Hey, I would like to stay at your property for extended time but I can’t afford the daily rate of nnn. Instead, I am offering you $$$ for stayin at your property for nn days. Please let me know if you are interested’

P.S. Sorry if above sounds naive but I have been living outside of US for >10 years and last time I stayed at a major hotel chain was 8 years ago, just don’t know reality of the ground.

This answer will vary dramatically based on what metropolitan area you are looking for, if you need to be near a location in the metro area (i.e. city center or suburb), what transportation you have/need, your desired price point, etc. The solutions can range from a two month short term lease in an apartment complex to a hotel.

EDIT - I see you are looking for a something in the $2,000 range. Extended Stay America and other similar brands (InTown Suites, WoodSpring Suites, etc) sell rooms at $50 a night or so in many major markets under a monthly lease term. Beyond that, apartments may be a good bet
Old Sep 3, 20, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
ĎExtended Stay Americaí and similar businesses would be great for minimising the risk but unfortunately the price point would be difficult to meet - the requirement is less than $2000 for 30-40 days stay.
Extended Stay... You might be trading one risk(COVID) for another, crime.
Old Sep 3, 20, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Extended Stay... You might be trading one risk(COVID) for another, crime.
In which places is this risk? Any why would this risk higher compared to Airbnb?
Old Sep 3, 20, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
In which places is this risk? Any why would this risk higher compared to Airbnb?
Where I live, that's where the pimps, ho's, drug dealers and meth labs like to operate from. YMMV.
Old Sep 3, 20, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Ah. Would you mind to say where is such place? I am living in a city where 16 y/o girls are jogging in a park alone at 2AM while listening music in headsets and knowing that nothing will happen to them. I’ve seen it number of times when (in pre corona era) walking from office to home.
Old Sep 4, 20, 7:00 am

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Ah. Would you mind to say where is such place? I am living in a city where 16 y/o girls are jogging in a park alone at 2AM while listening music in headsets and knowing that nothing will happen to them. Iíve seen it number of times when (in pre corona era) walking from office to home.
To properly answer your question we need the exact metro where you need accommodation
Old Sep 4, 20, 8:43 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: various
Ah. Would you mind to say where is such place? I am living in a city where 16 y/o girls are jogging in a park alone at 2AM while listening music in headsets and knowing that nothing will happen to them. Iíve seen it number of times when (in pre corona era) walking from office to home.
Oh dear. Aren't you in Singapore? Completely different situation than most metropolitan areas of the USA. There aren't many places in the USA where 16-year old girls should jog in a park at 2AM, with or without headsets. Your biggest problem is not going to be COVID, it's going to be staying on a low budget and avoiding crime-ridden areas. The Extended Stay America's in my area of the country are mostly in unsafe areas and poorly maintained. Every city in the country has it's good and bad areas. Transportation access can be an issue, particularly if in a part of the country where you really need a car, and you don't plan to rent one. We just cannot give you blanket statements that will apply to every metropolitan area so I'd echo the above posters....exactly WHERE do you wish to set up this stay?
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and TomMM like this.
Old Sep 4, 20, 9:25 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
To properly answer your question we need the exact metro where you need accommodation
There are many short term rental apartment units available in cities which are furnished (some with or without dishes,etc).

The best way to find them is to call up an apartment realtor that specializes in filling apartment units and tell them what you want for how long and what your budget is. There are agencies which specialize in short term leases and you usually can get something in a safe area near public transportation. You can find such realtor listings on the internet in the city of your choosing.

I did this when I had to move into a new job in a new city and leave the family behind for 3 months. The accommodations weren't luxe but certainly adequate for the time spent in them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: