FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   Airlines - Mask rules (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2023890-airlines-mask-rules.html)

fransknorge Aug 24, 2020 12:46 pm

Airlines - Mask rules

It could be useful to have a reference of the various rules for masks for airlines.

I start with Lufthansa Group: mask mandatory, face shields forbidden, medical exemption approved with a medical certificate and a negative COVID PCR test swabbed less than 48 hours before flight

Quote:
Flying without mask only with a medical certificate and negative Covid-19 test

The airlines of the Lufthansa Group are restricting the exceptions from the obligation to wear a mask on board their flights. From 1 September 2020, an exemption from the obligation to wear a mask during the flight for medical reasons will only be possible if a medical certificate is presented on a form provided by the airline. Passengers can download the document from the airlines' websites. In addition, passengers who are unable to wear a mask during the flight must present a negative covid-19 test, which is not older than 48 hours at the scheduled begin of the journey. This ensures maximum safety for the passengers travelling with them.

As of today, passengers will be comprehensively informed about the new requirements, including on the airlines' websites and social media channels, as well as via e-mail and via SMS. This is intended to give customers the opportunity to adapt to the changed rules in good time.

The airlines in the Lufthansa Group already introduced compulsory masks on board their flights at the beginning of May, making them one of the first airlines worldwide to do so. Exceptions to this rule were previously only possible with a medical certificate. The new rules on the compulsory wearing of masks now ensure even better protection for all passengers.

MSPeconomist Aug 24, 2020 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 32626708)
It could be useful to have a reference of the various rules for masks for airlines.

I start with Lufthansa Group: mask mandatory, face shields forbidden, medical exemption approved with a medical certificate and a negative COVID PCR test swabbed less than 48 hours before flight

Does LH really forbid the use of face shields on board or just not permit passengers to use face shields as a substitute for wearing a mask?

rickg523 Aug 24, 2020 12:59 pm

In think this could be a most helpful thread. Might even want to think about making it a Wiki
May I suggest that the reference documents being cited for each airline be linked in the post so if we have questions like in post #2 we can just take the link and look it up right away?
Thanks.

fransknorge Aug 24, 2020 1:00 pm

They do not specify. I know for a fact as a substitute for mask you are denied boarding. If both a mask and a face shield I suspect this will be fine.

Often1 Aug 24, 2020 1:09 pm

The LH policy is clearly posted on its website. Whether intentionally or not, the LH rule expressly prohibits face shields onboard and makes no mention of whether those are worn alone or in addition to a mask. I suppose that nothing prevents you from bringing one along, but you should be prepared to pack it away or bin it.

"Throughout your stay on board, you must wear a mouth-nose-cover. Face shields and FFP2 masks with a valve are not permitted on board, as they allow the air to escape to the side and do not provide comparable protection.
If you do not wear a mask and do not meet the requirements of this exemption, we must exclude you from transportation."

the810 Aug 24, 2020 1:17 pm

While the policy formally applies throughout LH Group, LX is known to routinely turn a blind eye on masks (as they can't afford losing customers from Switzerland). Wearing one during the boarding may be needed, but no one cares afterwards.

​​​​​

fatlasercat Aug 24, 2020 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32626717)
Does LH really forbid the use of face shields on board or just not permit passengers to use face shields as a substitute for wearing a mask?

During the onboard announcement (3 days ago) they said that you need to wear a mask covering nose + mouth even if you wear a face shield. No mention of forbidding the face shield. I didn't see anyone wear one, but I was on the upper deck of a 747 and there were only two more passengers :) so not a large sample.

rickg523 Aug 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by fatlasercat (Post 32626831)
During the onboard announcement (3 days ago) they said that you need to wear a mask covering nose + mouth even if you wear a face shield. No mention of forbidding the face shield. I didn't see anyone wear one, but I was on the upper deck of a 747 and there were only two more passengers :) so not a large sample.

Slightly OT, but were the seats occupied for maximum social distance?

awayIgo Aug 24, 2020 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32626772)
The LH policy is clearly posted on its website. Whether intentionally or not, the LH rule expressly prohibits face shields onboard and makes no mention of whether those are worn alone or in addition to a mask. I suppose that nothing prevents you from bringing one along, but you should be prepared to pack it away or bin it.

"Throughout your stay on board, you must wear a mouth-nose-cover. Face shields and FFP2 masks with a valve are not permitted on board, as they allow the air to escape to the side and do not provide comparable protection.
If you do not wear a mask and do not meet the requirements of this exemption, we must exclude you from transportation."

The clearly stated reason against face shields is they allow air to escape from the side, inasmuch as ALSO wearing a mask, mitigates this problem, I would be shocked if it was problematic.

fatlasercat Aug 25, 2020 12:56 am

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 32626849)
Slightly OT, but were the seats occupied for maximum social distance?

Not by design. I choose mine that way, but the other two were pretty close to each other and they weren't travelling together.

Sailbot3310 Aug 25, 2020 3:01 am

I've updated British Airways - Although I couldn't find a URL as comprehensive as LH!

There is no guidance as to what a Facemask is (e.g it doesn't specify it must be PPE), but having flown with BA a few times recently it can be anything that covers your mouth/nose (e.g a scarf). Facemasks are not provided, although if you break your mask you can get a replacement. Free facemasks are available at London Heathrow (at least they were on 20th August). A Face shield does not substitute a mask, but you can wear a shield over a mask.

fransknorge Aug 25, 2020 3:22 am

SAS:

MANDATORY FACE MASK
All passengers from 6 years of age, must wear facemask on all SAS flights from boarding, during the entire flight until disembarking. Passengers without a face mask will be denied boarding.
SAS recommends that passengers bring masks in order to change the mask after four hours of use, as well as bringing along extra masks. It is important to be aware that you may be required to wear a mask at your destination.

It is the traveler’s responsibility to bring their own face mask. Scarves and similar coverings are not allowed.

Read more about the mandatory face mask

MANDATORY FACE MASK AT COPENHAGEN AIRPORT
From 15 June 2020 is it mandatory to wear face mask or visors in all terminals at Copenhagen airport.

SPAIN
Effective from 4 May 2020 it's mandatory to wear a mouth and nose protection mask when traveling from a Spanish airport. The police will not let any passengers board the aircraft without a mask. Wearing a protection mask will also be mandatory for all staff working at the airport.

A text message will be sent to all passengers departing from a Spanish airport.

8420PR Aug 25, 2020 3:42 am

Air France: https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo...oronavirus.htm

Air France requires passengers wear a surgical mask or a FFP1/2/3 mask, which is not a requirement I have seen on othre airlines. It is not enough to simply wear a cloth mouth and nose cover (as allowed on many other airlines).

No mention of any medical exceptions allowed, and I suspect it is like France as a whole in that exceptions are not allowed.

magXY Aug 25, 2020 6:13 am

There have been reports of Alitalia not allowing passengers to wear simple cloth masks but requiring a surgical mask or FFP2 or better.

https://newsby.it/lifestyle/mascheri...cco-le-regole/

ImAllEars Aug 25, 2020 6:54 am

Air Tahiti Nui

In a FB thread about travel to Tahiti, they advised that ATN is providing some type of medical mask that you are required to wear. Apparently, you are not allowed to wear an alternate type of mask that you may have brought with you.