Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Can A US Citizen Get Into Monaco After Quarantining in London For 14 Days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2020, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold,UAL,AAPlat

Hi Everyone,
Sorry if little bits of my question have been answered in separate threads but, I have the opportunity to attend Prince Albert's yearly charity gala in Monte Carlo next month. I wondering if I were to travel first from California (where I live) to London and get an airbnb there for two weeks would I be able to fly to Nice and drive to Monaco.
From all that I read I could run across an immigration agent after landing in France that could turn me away or maybe they (BA) wouldn't even let me on the flight.
What does everyone think?
Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2020, 10:30 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
At the moment travel from the UK to France is supposedly unrestricted, but I have heard that US citizens coming from the UK have recently been denied entry into France unless they have an essential reason for travel or they have a residence document from a country in the EU+ zone (EU, Schengen, UK, CH, Andorra).
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
France does accept arrivals from the UK, this is also loaded into Timatic, so you will be allowed to board the plane. You should be able to get through the immigration - if you will be in the UK for two weeks, I think your chances to get denied entry are pretty low. I suspect those that did get denied spent very little time in the UK and immigration officer felt like they're trying to use a loophole.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:32 am

Whether using the automatic gates or fronting up to the desk, American tourists no longer get passport stamps entering or leaving the UK. So save your boarding passes. There'll be nothing in your passport indicating how long you've been in the UK. (You don't get stamped out leaving the US of course.)
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by 889
Whether using the automatic gates or fronting up to the desk, American tourists no longer get passport stamps entering or leaving the UK. So save your boarding passes. There'll be nothing in your passport indicating how long you've been in the UK. (You don't get stamped out leaving the US of course.)
Wouldn't UK border officer stamp a passport on request? I know some countries do that, even though they don't stamp routinely.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 3:12 am

The immigration people at Heathrow who stand right where you have to choose whether to use the gates or the desk will tell you, "You won't get a stamp at the desk either." Of course you can try arguing the point at the desk. But if you do head to the UK, assume you will not get a stamp.
the810 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Rules are unclear. Based on all real world data i’ve seen...yes. You will get into France and there are no border checks going from France to Monaco.
harleytheclownpug likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The UK quarantine is irrelevant.
if you fly LHR-NCE you will be admitted in France like everyone who flies from UK with valid travel documents.
since UK reapplied quarantine for pax from France, France reintroduced voluntary quarantine for pax from UK. I never heard it was enforced in any way.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 7:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by brunos
The UK quarantine is irrelevant.
if you fly LHR-NCE you will be admitted in France like everyone who flies from UK with valid travel documents.
That's not correct :-
  • As of 5 August 2020, air passengers arriving from certain countries, including the United States, must present “results of a negative virology COVID-19 test (a PCR test for example), carried out less than 72 hours before the flight” or they will not be allowed to board their flight to France.
  • Please note this testing requirement applies only to travelers who are otherwise allowed to travel to France. Entry by non-essential travelers is suspended regardless of COVID-19 test status.
Travelling to a Prince Albert jolly is not essential travel.
harleytheclownpug and :D! like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:50 pm

"Entry by non-essential travelers is suspended regardless of COVID-19 test status."

What about those thousands and thousands of British travelers vacationing in France who were caught out by the UK's imposition of quarantine?
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by 889
"Entry by non-essential travelers is suspended regardless of COVID-19 test status."

What about those thousands and thousands of British travelers vacationing in France who were caught out by the UK's imposition of quarantine?
Travellers from the EU+ (including UK) are allowed travellers. For them, there is no condition of essential travel.
:D! likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:03 pm

It would be more than useful if those giving advice would cite and link their sources.

Here, for example, is the French Foreign Ministry's explanation of the rules. Can someone describe the OP's situation under these rules, as explained by the Foreign Ministry?

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/co...als-in-france/
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or as set forth in TIMATIC:Information as of 22AUG20 / 2039 UTC
National USA (US)
Embarkation United Kingdom (GB)/Transit France (FR)
Destination Monaco (MC)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW
France (FR)

Visa required, except for Nationals of USA with a normal
passport, or:
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Passengers transiting through Paris
(CDG), arriving from a non-Schengen Member State with a
confirmed onward ticket for a flight within 24 hours to a
third country which is not a Schengen Member State. They must:
- stay in the international transit area of the airport, and
- have documents required for their next destination.
Visa required, except for Passengers transiting through Paris
(ORY), arriving from a non-Schengen Member State with a
confirmed onward ticket for a flight between 06:00 and 23:30
to a third country which is not a Schengen Member State. They
must:
- - This TWOV facility does not apply when passengers arrive
at Orly 3 and depart from Orly 3.
- This TWOV facility does not apply when passengers arrive
at Orly 3 and depart from Orly 4.
at Orly 4 and depart from Orly 3.
at Orly 4 and depart to French West Indies.
Visa required, except for Passengers transiting through Nice
(NCE), arriving from a non-Schengen Member State with a
confirmed onward ticket for a flight between 04:00 and 23:00
to a third country which is not a Schengen Member State. They
must:
- TWOV does not apply when transiting between terminals 1 and
Visa required, except for Passengers transiting through
Marseille (MRS), arriving from a non-Schengen Member State
with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight on the same
calendar day to a third country which is not a Schengen Member
State. Airlines must notify Immigration before arrival and
passengers must:
- TWOV does not apply when transiting between terminals 1 and
Warning:
- A completed International Travel Certificate must be
presented prior to boarding and to immigration upon arrival
or when transiting France. The certificate can be obtained
at consulates or at
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr

France (FR)

Vaccinations not required.
Monaco (MC)

Passport required.
- Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be
valid for a minimum of 3 months beyond the period of
intended stay.
- Warning: Nationals of the USA with an emergency passport are
not allowed to enter France. To distinguish an emergency
passport from a normal passport, please look at the
validity. An emergency passport is issued for a period of 1
year.
Admission and Transit Restrictions:
- Passengers are not allowed to enter.
- This does not apply to passengers arriving from Andorra,
Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Monaco,
New-Zealand, Rwanda, San Marino, Switzerland, Thailand,
Tunisia, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Vatican City (Holy See)
or an EEA Member State
Visa required, except for Nationals of USA with a normal
passport for a maximum stay of 90 days. (SEE NOTE 53781)
NOTE 53781: The maximum stay is granted within 180 days.
Minors:

Additional Information:
- Valid visas in full, invalidated travel documents are
accepted if accompanied by a new travel document.
- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to
cover their stay (at least EUR 120.- per day of intended
stay).
Warning:
- Passengers are subject to quarantine or isolation.
- Passengers must complete a declaration on honor to state
that they do not have symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused
entry.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold,UAL,AAPlat
Often1,
I just wrote the same question in another thread so, thanks for answering here. I don't know if it's my age or the fact that I have severe cabin fever here in fiery California but, I've having a bit of trouble understanding.
. Along with everything else going haywire here we now hold the record for having the hottest place in Earth's history right here in sunny California.
So, here's my situation. I serve as a "special advisor" to a very well known British artist. During the course of a year I advise him on donating works of art to very specific
charitable galas at the auctions they have during the evening. His work typically brings in low to mid six figure results so, a pretty big deal. This year alone I've had to cancel three trips to galas in London, one with the royal family in Doha, one in Hong Kong, one in Mexico City, two in the South of France and next week in Capri for Unicef. All my expenses are covered so, right now, like so many others I'm going stir-crazy! Big charity gala coming up in Monaco on the 24th of Sept.
Based on what you're saying and maybe my brain is a bit addled and I'm not fully comprehending but, it sounds like as of now, even if I was able to quarantine in London for two weeks I still could be refused entry into France/Monaco. So, two thumbs down? I know in light of everything it seems silly but, I'm a retired single senior citizen that really looks forward to mixing with people and the traveling. It gives me something to look forward to. Sorry to bother everyone with such trivial matters. Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Aug 23, 2020 at 1:25 am Reason: Remove large quote for readability
Old Aug 24, 2020, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by harleytheclownpug
Often1,
I just wrote the same question in another thread so, thanks for answering here. I don't know if it's my age or the fact that I have severe cabin fever here in fiery California but, I've having a bit of trouble understanding.
. Along with everything else going haywire here we now hold the record for having the hottest place in Earth's history right here in sunny California.
So, here's my situation. I serve as a "special advisor" to a very well known British artist. During the course of a year I advise him on donating works of art to very specific
charitable galas at the auctions they have during the evening. His work typically brings in low to mid six figure results so, a pretty big deal. This year alone I've had to cancel three trips to galas in London, one with the royal family in Doha, one in Hong Kong, one in Mexico City, two in the South of France and next week in Capri for Unicef. All my expenses are covered so, right now, like so many others I'm going stir-crazy! Big charity gala coming up in Monaco on the 24th of Sept.
Based on what you're saying and maybe my brain is a bit addled and I'm not fully comprehending but, it sounds like as of now, even if I was able to quarantine in London for two weeks I still could be refused entry into France/Monaco. So, two thumbs down? I know in light of everything it seems silly but, I'm a retired single senior citizen that really looks forward to mixing with people and the traveling. It gives me something to look forward to. Sorry to bother everyone with such trivial matters. Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.
You are entitled to travel to the UK. The rules are unclear but as noted if you are coming from the EU+ you will be fine. If you stay 14+ days in UK i’d put your odds of success close to 100%, even of you just stop briefly in the UK and then fly LHR-NCE I’d say you are very likely to be admitted regardless of your nationality (assuming you don’t need a visa for France that you don’t have).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.