FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   Travel industry formally requests opening of borders (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2023641-travel-industry-formally-requests-opening-borders.html)

exp Aug 19, 2020 11:31 am

Travel industry formally requests opening of borders

They sent letters to several of the largest nations and proposed measures to re-open international travel.

Over 100 executives in the travel space are joining with the World Tourism and Travel Council (WTTC) to ask governments to take steps to reopen borders and open skies for flyers once more during the COVID-19 pandemic. The open letters were sent to the governments of the Group of Seven (G7), along with the governments of Australia, South Korea and Spain.

LETTERS ASK FOR GOVERNMENTS TO ADOPT FOUR MEASURES TO LIMIT COVID-19 SPREAD

The group of executives signing the letter include the executives of airlines British Airways, Emirates, Etihad and WestJet, along with hotel leaders from Hilton, Hyatt, InterContinental Hotel Group, Marriott and Radisson. In the letters, the leaders acknowledge the major role travel plays in international commerce, leading to their request to reopen borders.
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/t...&utm_campaign=

Maybe with the recent approval of a saliva test by the FDA on EUA basis, this might be possible though I think you still have to send the sample to a lab. The rapid tests may not be too accurate.

They don't mention prospects of vaccines or therapeutics.

Badenoch Aug 19, 2020 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by exp (Post 32615162)
They sent letters to several of the largest nations and proposed measures to re-open international travel.

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/t...&utm_campaign=

Maybe with the recent approval of a saliva test by the FDA on EUA basis, this might be possible though I think you still have to send the sample to a lab. The rapid tests may not be too accurate.

They don't mention prospects of vaccines or therapeutics.

Canada was asked last month by travel industry representatives to ease restrictions. It did not go well for them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...d-19-1.5689249

"We have introduced significant and universal border restrictions to keep Canadians safe," Natalie Mohamed, spokesperson for the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), said in an email.

"Entry prohibitions coupled with mandatory isolation and quarantine remain the most effective means of limiting the introduction of new cases of COVID-19 into Canada," Mohamed said.

Mohamed said Canada's travel restrictions will continue as long as the global outbreak remains a threat, foreign visitors risk spreading COVID-19, and "no reasonable alternatives" are available to prevent the virus's spread.

Antonio8069 Aug 19, 2020 3:35 pm

Indeed, AC, WS & PD have all asked that transborder travel be permitted. To get why its not likely to happen, check out the 1,867 comments on the article cited by Badenoch. Brutal.

bensyd Aug 19, 2020 4:49 pm

Seems a fairly half arsed approach sending a letter to a group of countries that, with the exception of Spain and Italy, aren't particularly reliant on overseas tourism.

yvrcnx Aug 19, 2020 4:50 pm

An organization called "Canadian Travel & Tourism Roundtable" has been trying to open up tourism since June without any success, even with the National Airlines Council of Canada promoting this as well.

https://time-to-travel.ca/

Currently Canada is not even open domestically to each other with all of the Atlantic Provinces and 2 of the Northern Territories being off limit to the rest of Canada.
I wouldn't be surprised if this stays the way for the rest of the year.

The approach here seems to be very similar to the one of New Zealand and Australia, 2 other commonwealth countries, with the difference that we are at least allowed to leave Canada but have to self-isolate for 2 weeks upon returning.

While numbers are going up significantly in most European nations, hospitalization and death rates seem to be significantly down. Hopefully this trend will remain and lead to relaxation of restrictions despite higher numbers - this is me hoping and dreaming but something will have to happen or the tourism industry will be completely destroyed by the end of the year, in most places it already is, at least in the near and mid term.

bensyd Aug 19, 2020 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by yvrcnx (Post 32615920)
An organization called "Canadian Travel & Tourism Roundtable" has been trying to open up tourism since June without any success, even with the National Airlines Council of Canada promoting this as well.

https://time-to-travel.ca/

Currently Canada is not even open domestically to each other with all of the Atlantic Provinces and 2 of the Northern Territories being off limit to the rest of Canada.
I wouldn't be surprised if this stays the way for the rest of the year.

The approach here seems to be very similar to the one of New Zealand and Australia, 2 other commonwealth countries, with the difference that we are at least allowed to leave Canada but have to self-isolate for 2 weeks upon returning.

Kiwis can leave, it's only Australians that cannot. I expect that restriction will be lifted in the next couple of months, with the caveat that you will have to pay for your own quarantine upon re-entry into the country. The outward travel ban was introduced before the hotel quarantine system was in place. No one really cared initially because no one was wanting to go overseas, but as things settle down more people are wanting to leave the country. Self isolation is a total non-starter here.

The joy of federalism really is the states (provinces) all shutting borders with each other. Western Australia is flat out refusing to open borders to any other states, even the Northern Territory which hasn't had a case since March. The border closures are wildly popular though, so unless someone takes a challenge to the High Court I don't see them being relaxed.

PaulMSN Aug 19, 2020 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by yvrcnx (Post 32615920)
...something will have to happen or the tourism industry will be completely destroyed by the end of the year, in most places it already is, at least in the near and mid term.

Individual companies will fail, but the tourism industry will be back as soon as it's allowed. When there's money to be made, people will jump on it. Sure, there will be some ramping up, but profit is a strong motivation.

MSPeconomist Aug 22, 2020 9:26 am

Originally Posted by bensyd (Post 32616043)
Kiwis can leave, it's only Australians that cannot. I expect that restriction will be lifted in the next couple of months, with the caveat that you will have to pay for your own quarantine upon re-entry into the country. The outward travel ban was introduced before the hotel quarantine system was in place. No one really cared initially because no one was wanting to go overseas, but as things settle down more people are wanting to leave the country. Self isolation is a total non-starter here.

The joy of federalism really is the states (provinces) all shutting borders with each other. Western Australia is flat out refusing to open borders to any other states, even the Northern Territory which hasn't had a case since March. The border closures are wildly popular though, so unless someone takes a challenge to the High Court I don't see them being relaxed.

I'm somewhat surprised that Australia can legally prevent its citizens from leaving, although I would guess that this didn't apply to those with dual citizenships or someone who is only a long term resident (not *yet* citizen). I suspect it also wouldn't prevent an Australian citizen who is a long term resident abroad or married to a foreign national from leaving Australia after a brief trip home, especially if there's a family emergency.

It's especially surprising given the sense among some sectors of Australian society that one should go north (abroad) to make one's mark in the world or at least to get an overseas educational credential. See the autobiography by an Australian female academic who IIRC became Vice Chancellor (?) of the University of Toronto entitled True North. There's also the tradition of international travel during a gap year.

The current restriction means that Australian citizens currently in Australia can't enter (or continue their studies at) universities in the northern hemisphere this academic year.

bensyd Aug 22, 2020 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32622319)
I'm somewhat surprised that Australia can legally prevent its citizens from leaving, although I would guess that this didn't apply to those with dual citizenships or someone who is only a long term resident (not *yet* citizen). I suspect it also wouldn't prevent an Australian citizen who is a long term resident abroad or married to a foreign national from leaving Australia after a brief trip home, especially if there's a family emergency.

It's especially surprising given the sense among some sectors of Australian society that one should go north (abroad) to make one's mark in the world or at least to get an overseas educational credential. See the autobiography by an Australian female academic who IIRC became Vice Chancellor (?) of the University of Toronto entitled True North. There's also the tradition of international travel during a gap year.

The current restriction means that Australian citizens currently in Australia can't enter (or continue their studies at) universities in the northern hemisphere this academic year.

You are exempt if you're an Australian citizen who is resident in another country. I believe that extends to moving overseas to study. Dual citizens who are resident in Australia are not exempt. Going overseas to study is not common. Going overseas to work before or after university is very common. I did so myself.

Anyway, like I said, the outbound restrictions were implemented before the quarantine system. The government knows that it needs the states to increase their quarantine capacity (MEL is closed and SYD is currently taking roughly the same as all other airports combined) and that the outbound restrictions need to be lifted.