Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Checking into a hotel during a pandemic

Checking into a hotel during a pandemic

Old Aug 27, 20, 5:16 am

Programs: Radisson Platinum, SAS Nothing, SJ Prio Grey
Originally Posted by scottishpoet View Post
This has been my experience as well, the only difference was that you "booked" a cleaning slot, which for me is better. Nobody banging on the door every 30 minutes from 9am trying to do the room. I book a slot at I time I know I will be out of the hotel.
Not bad, but I rarely know in advance when I'm gonna be out. The problem with banging is easily solved by do not disturb sign.
Old Aug 27, 20, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by the810 View Post
Not bad, but I rarely know in advance when I'm gonna be out. The problem with banging is easily solved by do not disturb sign.
Now if that isn't a double entendre, I don't know what is
Jon Maiman, cruisr and the810 like this.
Old Oct 27, 20, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Bumping this thread to ask a question: from a covid standpoint, how comfortable would people be with staying at a hotel in NYC over the next week or so? I'm taking some time off work but don't really have a desire to go off somewhere else all by myself. Yet I really need a change of scenery - I've been stuck alone in my apartment for eight months, and I'm just sick of it.

I have sanitizing wipes that I can use to wipe down surfaces in the room, and I'm not too concerned about the possibility of catching the virus from touching surfaces anyway. But I'm a bit wary of virus transmission from other rooms via the heating system, or from the elevator. Are these realistic concerns, or am I just being overly anxious?

I haven't spent a night away from my apartment since January, and I think I really need some time away for my mental health. Yet the thought of being somewhere around unknown people gives me pause.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Oct 27, 20, 8:35 pm
exp
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Maybe Airbnb instead?

Which is safer, hotel or Airbnb?

Though NY apartments are built onto old buildings so they may also not sufficiently isolate HVAC from other units?

What about all the fancy new apartment buildings they were building before the high end market crashed? Maybe there are some that are put up as Airbnb?

Or maybe move a little away from the city to the burbs where they'd have single-family homes for vacation rentals or at least small condo complexes, like a couple dozen units as opposed to a high-rise building in Manhattan with hundreds of apartments?
Old Oct 28, 20, 3:55 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Some of the limited service brands (for Marriott, like Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites, Courtyard) have independent heating cooling units in the room.

I stayed at a Springhill Suites in Milford, CT a few months ago. You can see the unit in photo 6 of 18 here:
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...uites-milford/

Last edited by AlanInDC; Oct 28, 20 at 6:23 am
Old Oct 28, 20, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Have there been instances of CV transferring between hotel rooms via the HVAC system? That seems like a bit of a stretch to me. Return air must be filtered before it's reintroduced to another room.
Old Oct 28, 20, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Have there been instances of CV transferring between hotel rooms via the HVAC system?
I would assume there has been some, but that doesn't mean it's the risky part of staying in a hotel with persons who are infectious with Covid-19.

At one point earlier this year:

In conclusion, the available evidence indicates that:

..... •There is currently no evidence of human infection with SARS-CoV-2 caused by infectious aerosols distributed through the ventilation system ducts of HVACs. The risk is rated as very low.

•Well-maintained HVAC systems, including air -conditioning units, securely filter large droplets containing SARS-CoV-2. It is possible for COVID-19 aerosols (small droplets and droplet nuclei) to spread through HVAC systems within a building or vehicle and stand-alone air-conditioning units if air is recirculated.

•Air flow generated by air-conditioning units may facilitate the spread of droplets excreted by infected people longer distances within indoor spaces.

•HVAC systems may have a complementary role in decreasing transmission in indoor spaces by increasing the rate of air change, decreasing recirculation of air and increasing the use of outdoor air
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/def...f-COVID-19.pdf

Personally, I would suggest rooms with hotel windows that the guest can open to allow in fresh air from outside directly into the rooms is a safer play.
Old Oct 28, 20, 4:06 pm
exp
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Have there been instances of CV transferring between hotel rooms via the HVAC system? That seems like a bit of a stretch to me. Return air must be filtered before it's reintroduced to another room.

I don't think there are any regulatory requirements mandating that for hotels.

So maybe some hotels have it, maybe they don't.

A lot of properties in a chain were acquired so you can't expect any consistency from chains either.
Old Oct 28, 20, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by exp View Post
I don't think there are any regulatory requirements mandating that for hotels.

So maybe some hotels have it, maybe they don't.

A lot of properties in a chain were acquired so you can't expect any consistency from chains either.
I'm speaking from my understanding of how HVAC systems work rather than from a regulatory standpoint.
Old Oct 30, 20, 10:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Hyatt Diamond, National EE and bunch of other mid-tier status
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA View Post
Bumping this thread to ask a question: from a covid standpoint, how comfortable would people be with staying at a hotel in NYC over the next week or so? I'm taking some time off work but don't really have a desire to go off somewhere else all by myself. Yet I really need a change of scenery - I've been stuck alone in my apartment for eight months, and I'm just sick of it.

I have sanitizing wipes that I can use to wipe down surfaces in the room, and I'm not too concerned about the possibility of catching the virus from touching surfaces anyway. But I'm a bit wary of virus transmission from other rooms via the heating system, or from the elevator. Are these realistic concerns, or am I just being overly anxious?

I haven't spent a night away from my apartment since January, and I think I really need some time away for my mental health. Yet the thought of being somewhere around unknown people gives me pause.
I think cases in NYC is lower than many other places in the US. Plus there was recently an article that hotel occupancy rate in NYC averages 10% so front desk should be able to get you a room that is more isolated and/or has been unoccupied for couple of days.
Old Oct 30, 20, 10:51 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by zerolife View Post
I think cases in NYC is lower than many other places in the US. Plus there was recently an article that hotel occupancy rate in NYC averages 10% so front desk should be able to get you a room that is more isolated and/or has been unoccupied for couple of days.
Thanks for your reply. There's one hotel I'm looking at in Brooklyn that claims rooms are left unoccupied for at least 72 hours between guests, and since it's in a good location in a neighborhood I like to hang out in, I'm thinking of taking a couple of nights there in the middle of next week.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: