Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US Citizen visiting Europe - resident outside US - question

US Citizen visiting Europe - resident outside US - question

Old Aug 16, 20, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
Not entirely correct: it depends on the particular Schengen member country that the passenger would want to visit. For instance, a US citizen with a residence permit for Australia (or any of the other countries listed above) can visit the Netherlands for any reason including tourism. If (s)he arrives directly from a “green country”, no quarantine is needed, otherwise (s)he would need to self-isolate for 14 days.
Can you provide your source on this? It simply makes no sense as everyone would fly to the Netherlands and make their way to the restricted EU country that is their final destination bypassing the restrictions.
Old Aug 16, 20, 7:38 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by FlyingFreeYupie View Post
Can you provide your source on this? It simply makes no sense as everyone would fly to the Netherlands and make their way to the restricted EU country that is their final destination bypassing the restrictions.
Source

and it makes sense as many countries in Schengen (and the airlines) still do checks with respect to the eligibility of a traveler to travel.
Old Aug 16, 20, 7:41 am

Programs: SK EBS, CC Gold
Check Timatic. And read the whole thread. Spain is another example, as discussed above, they allow entry to residents of low-risk countries, not only citizens. EU guidlines recommend this approach, basing entry restrictions on residency rather than nationality (the latter has very little to do with the risk a person poses).

Some EU states go even further and they only care about where you've been the last 14 days. E.g. US resident / citizen can enter Slovakia from Croatia upon spending two weeks there. And then many other EU states will let them enter on the basis of arriving from within the Schengen area.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 16, 20, 7:49 am

OK. Now I wonder if you're travelling from the US (banned country) with a resident permit from South Korea whether or not you're eligible to travel.

On a side note, if the ban is not applied as per the passport, it just defeats the purpose of the law as a regular US tourist/student/temp permit holder staying in those "green countries" for a while should also be allowed to travel to Europe.

The OP seems to be good to go then. and his original US passport holder travel privileges are restored with his South Korean resident permit.
OP I would recommend that you bring with you the actual regulation as the airline might not know and deny you boarding.

I have another nationality. I am American, but I live in Australia. May I travel to Europe?

This depends whether you are allowed to travel to the EU depends on the country of residence, not of nationality.

As an American, whereas USA is on the list of countries for which the travel ban has not been lifted, but living in Australia, which is on the list of countries for which the travel ban has been lifted, you are allowed to travel to Europe from Australia.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 20, 20 at 10:22 pm Reason: Font size, quote tags
Old Aug 16, 20, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
Source

and it makes sense as many countries in Schengen (and the airlines) still do checks with respect to the eligibility of a traveler to travel.
No. Borders are open.
Old Aug 16, 20, 7:54 am

Programs: SK EBS, CC Gold
OK. Now I wonder if you're travelling from the US (banned country) with a resident permit from South Korea whether or not you're eligible to travel.
Depends on the specific state. For example, Spain requires third-country nationals residing in "green" country to arrive directly from that country (or any EU state). Korean resident would not be eligible when arriving from New Zealand, even though NZ is a green country too. Other places enquire about one's travel history - and some only care about the residency.

On a side note, if the ban is not applied as per the passport, it just defeats the purpose of the law as a regular US tourist/student/temp permit holder staying in those "green countries" for a while should also be allowed to travel to Europe.
Most EU states require residency, not just being in the country for some time (although there are some exceptions, as I mentioned above).
zrh2yvr likes this.
Old Aug 16, 20, 7:57 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
No. Borders are open.
Some are, some are not. Everybody on a recent flight (last week) from Amsterdam to Bordeaux had to show their passport on arrival in France.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 16, 20, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
No. Borders are open.
I saw some Americans denied entry into Denmark from Sweden Friday. Borders being open doesn’t mean they are open to all within the Schengen area.
Old Aug 16, 20, 11:49 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
This is not exactly correct. It is primarily "Residency" based - but not always. I am Canadian and have just been all over Europe. Specifically for U.S. person going to Spain - it should be good. The most up to date Timatic info is always available on iatatravelcentre.com

there also seems to be a need to arrive directly to the respective country from your country of residence.

The following can enter spain (among others

"residents of Andorra, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Monaco, New Zealand, Rwanda, San Marino, Thailand, Tunisia, United Kingdom, Uruguay or Vatican City (Holy See), if arriving from the country of residence"

and - Here in Switzerland - having entered twice now - I can see that there are no checks on arrival and that they allow all arrivals from Schengen - regardless of where the passenger lives - but they are subject to quarantine when arriving from certain countries (self declaration required).
Old Aug 16, 20, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This thread has devolved from a specific set of facts to a discussion of permutations which number in the tens of millions.

The simple fact remains that every traveler crossing a border ought to check TIMATIC for his own specific situation, including nationality, residence, transit country, and where the passenger has been in at least the 14 days immediately preceding travel. In the case of a UK national, the specific type of passport (and thus citizenship) may matter.

For that reason, broad generalizations are relatively useless and not worth considering. All that matters is what you yourself face for the journey you contemplate. That includes testing and quarantine as well.
Mwenenzi and rallyeHI like this.
Old Aug 16, 20, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, SK, UR, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I saw some Americans denied entry into Denmark from Sweden Friday. Borders being open doesn’t mean they are open to all within the Schengen area.
On the train?
Old Aug 19, 20, 4:55 pm

Hi all,

I am dual US/Italian citizen - and so are my daughters. My wife is a US citizen. We are planning to travel to Europe, specifically Germany, IF possible.

From some reports, I have read that Frankfurt airport offers testing after arrivals, and if a negative test is returned there is no need to quarantine. Is that correct? Does it apply to all EU citizens, or only to Germans?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 20, 20, 4:35 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Gold
As a UK resident and US citizen, I've had no trouble entering various EU countries for non-essential travel. I will say that when I've tried to use just my passport, I've been denied entry. It's only when I produce my residence permit am I breezed in.
Old Aug 20, 20, 11:05 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by i_travel_for_work View Post
Hi all,

I am dual US/Italian citizen - and so are my daughters. My wife is a US citizen. We are planning to travel to Europe, specifically Germany, IF possible.

From some reports, I have read that Frankfurt airport offers testing after arrivals, and if a negative test is returned there is no need to quarantine. Is that correct? Does it apply to all EU citizens, or only to Germans?

Thanks in advance!
As Moderator, I moved your post to a more appropriate thread in the forum, where you're more likely to get replies. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
i_travel_for_work likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: