Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US to Switzerland via Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2020, 11:57 pm

You may be able to enter the UK (no restrictions on entry besides quarantine for 14 days), quarantine, then go France - Switzerland.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I can understand why people MUST make certain trips and it is kind of fun for us to find create solutions, it defeats the purpose of the quarantine measures.

I would also say the people OP is meeting with might not appreciate this. I don't think the US and Americans are looked at favorably by the rest of the world when it comes to COVID prevention.

I also think the airlines will go by what TIMATIC says - they are not going to check websites and determine what to do.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by username
I would also say the people OP is meeting with might not appreciate this. .
The person I am meeting knows me well. I am 95% sure that I already had the virus back in March. I was quite ill for about 4-5 days with a high fever, cough and difficult breathing, then less sick for the next 4-5 days. The cough lasted 3 months. I was never able to get tested because of the difficulty doing that in March. Croatia may need some sort of negative test. I think that might be possible now. I don't know if a single test would show negative for the virus, but positive for the antibodies.

It would seem the best way is to get to somewhere where I can actually enter the country, quarantine, and then proceed to Switzerland.

Originally Posted by 747FC
OP: Sorry to hear of your situation, but your thread has the potential of being a highly interesting one for the FT masses. All you need to do is to add context to the mandate requiring in-person attendance: Are you facing a court date? Need to serve a prison sentence? Required to bring bearer bonds to a Russian oligarch.
No legal problems, but my physical presence is required.

Last edited by DesertNomad; Aug 8, 2020 at 5:53 am
Old Aug 8, 2020, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Why don't you just fly USA-LON-ZRH? You are for sure allowed to board a flight to LHR. If you want to do everything above board, you can quarantine for 14 days in LHR and then you're A OK to continue on to CH. Of course, many less scrupulous people have continued on same day from LHR and managed fine. Same via DUB. Also people with letters from EU companies stating their physical presence is absolutely necessary for a pressing business concern fall into one of the int'l declaration carve outs no? With such a letter you could probably fly direct to ZRH.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Why don't you just fly USA-LON-ZRH? You are for sure allowed to board a flight to LHR. If you want to do everything above board, you can quarantine for 14 days in LHR and then you're A OK to continue on to CH. Of course, many less scrupulous people have continued on same day from LHR and managed fine. Same via DUB. Also people with letters from EU companies stating their physical presence is absolutely necessary for a pressing business concern fall into one of the int'l declaration carve outs no? With such a letter you could probably fly direct to ZRH.
I can probably get such a letter from a Swiss company, but if I am going to quarantine for 14 days, Zagreb would be much cheaper than London.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Because it does not work. Same problem as with the Canada transit gambit. Here is the TIMATIC readout for a USN originating in the UK and traveling to CH (see the red highlight below). This one presumes that OP has flown from the US-to-UK and quarantined in the UK for 14 days before seeking to fly onward to Switzerland. He will wind up being denied boarding at LHR and then faced with the prospect of flying back to the US and being required to quarantine again in the US.Information as of 08AUG20 / 1241 UTC
National USA (US)
Embarkation United Kingdom (GB)/Destination Switzerland (CH)
Switzerland (CH)

Passport required.
- Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be
valid for a minimum of 3 months beyond the period of
intended stay.
Passport Exemptions:
- Nationals of USA with an emergency passport.
Admission and Transit Restrictions:
- Passengers are not allowed to enter.
- This does not apply to family members of nationals of EEA
Member States
. They must present proof of their
relationship.

Same problem with Croatia. Take a look at TIMATIC and try various combinations wherein you depart the US for a third country, quarantine in that third country, and then travel from the third country to Switzerland (perhaps being required to quarantine again).

Last edited by Often1; Aug 8, 2020 at 6:50 am
Old Aug 8, 2020, 7:02 am
Original Poster

When I search for ZAG-ZRH I am seeing:
  • Visa is not required for Switzerland. Maximum stay of 3 months.
  • Passengers who have been in any of the below countries in the past 14 days must quarantine for 10 days on arrival in Switzerland, due to the outbreak of novel coronavirus. This does not apply to the following passengers:
    1. passengers travelling for transporting goods;
    2. passengers who were in the below countries for professional activities in rail, bus, ship or air transport companies;
    3. passengers who were in the below countries for transit, provided they stayed for less than 24 hours.

Argentina, Armenia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Cape Verde, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Equitorial Guinea, Eswatini, Guatemala, Honduras, Iraq, Israel, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kosovo, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Maldives, Mexico, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Oman, Palestine, Panama, Peru, Qatar, Romania, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, South Africa, Spain (excluding the Baleraric and Canary Islands) Suriname, Turks and Caicos Islands, and the United States.

United's website says:
  • Summary
    Yes, The travel documents held by the traveler are sufficient!

Type: Ok
    Switzerland - Destination Passport

Important:

Passengers are subject to quarantine for 10 days.

Passports and/or passport replacing documents issued more than 10 years prior to date of travel are not accepted.

Switzerland - Destination VisaVisa not required.

Additional information:

Geneva airport (GVA) is located in Switzerland but has exits to both Switzerland and France.
    a. When arriving on an international flight (except France), passengers must exit the
Old Aug 8, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I have heard from colleagues who are travelling that some European destinations are showing arriving pax a list of countries and asking if they have been to them in the last 14 days. If you tell the truth they will put you in quarantine. If you lie they will arrest you. The stamp in your passport ex-US will give you away.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 7:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
When I search for ZAG-ZRH I am seeing:
  • Visa is not required for Switzerland. Maximum stay of 3 months.
  • Passengers who have been in any of the below countries in the past 14 days must quarantine for 10 days on arrival in Switzerland, due to the outbreak of novel coronavirus. This does not apply to the following passengers:
    1. passengers travelling for transporting goods;
    2. passengers who were in the below countries for professional activities in rail, bus, ship or air transport companies;
    3. passengers who were in the below countries for transit, provided they stayed for less than 24 hours.

Argentina, Armenia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Cape Verde, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Equitorial Guinea, Eswatini, Guatemala, Honduras, Iraq, Israel, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kosovo, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Maldives, Mexico, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Oman, Palestine, Panama, Peru, Qatar, Romania, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, South Africa, Spain (excluding the Baleraric and Canary Islands) Suriname, Turks and Caicos Islands, and the United States.

United's website says:
  • Summary
    Yes, The travel documents held by the traveler are sufficient!

Switzerland - Destination Passport

Important:

Passengers are subject to quarantine for 10 days.

Passports and/or passport replacing documents issued more than 10 years prior to date of travel are not accepted.

Switzerland - Destination VisaVisa not required.

Additional information:

Geneva airport (GVA) is located in Switzerland but has exits to both Switzerland and France.
    a. When arriving on an international flight (except France), passengers must exit the
But, how will you gain admission to Croatia? Here is TIMATIC for the first segment of your journey, e.g., US-HRInformation as of 08AUG20 / 1305 UTC
National USA (US) /Embarkation USA (US)
Destination Croatia (HR)
Croatia (HR)

Passport required.
intended stay.
Passport Exemptions:
Old Aug 8, 2020, 9:08 am

Read further down on the Croatia rules, and there's "This does not apply to passengers traveling as tourists," and "Passengers traveling as tourist must have a confirmation of accommodation booking." So plan to do some touristic things in Croatia and you should be eligible for admission.

ETA: Also requiring a negative PCR test done within 48 hours before arrival, but there are provisions for isolation while you wait for results or get tested there.

Last edited by rove312; Aug 8, 2020 at 9:13 am
Old Aug 8, 2020, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Because it does not work. Same problem as with the Canada transit gambit. Here is the TIMATIC readout for a USN originating in the UK and traveling to CH (see the red highlight below). This one presumes that OP has flown from the US-to-UK and quarantined in the UK for 14 days before seeking to fly onward to Switzerland. He will wind up being denied boarding at LHR and then faced with the prospect of flying back to the US and being required to quarantine again in the US.Information as of 08AUG20 / 1241 UTC
National USA (US)
Embarkation United Kingdom (GB)/Destination Switzerland (CH)
Switzerland (CH)

Passport required.
intended stay.
Passport Exemptions:
- This does not apply to family members of nationals of EEA
Member States
. They must present proof of their
relationship.

Same problem with Croatia. Take a look at TIMATIC and try various combinations wherein you depart the US for a third country, quarantine in that third country, and then travel from the third country to Switzerland (perhaps being required to quarantine again).
That's all well and good. As a practical matter, I know a lot of people on US passports who HAVE entered from the UK and Croatia. In fact every single person I know who has tried has managed.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by roberino
I have heard from colleagues who are travelling that some European destinations are showing arriving pax a list of countries and asking if they have been to them in the last 14 days. If you tell the truth they will put you in quarantine. If you lie they will arrest you. The stamp in your passport ex-US will give you away.
US doesn't stamp on the way out (or on the way in for US citizens).
Old Aug 8, 2020, 10:57 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
US doesn't stamp on the way out (or on the way in for US citizens).
Lack of stamps does not mean they don't know where you went.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 12:11 pm

Also, even if you go down the Croatia route, there is quite some chance that because of the lax "everyone welcome" policy from Croatia, their numbers will explode fairly soon, and thus Croatia will find itself on the "red list" of Switzerland by the time you're there, and you won't be able to enter Switzerland (or only after quarantine, again..) when arriving from Croatia.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 12:22 pm
Suspended

With the exception of Schengen -- and even then -- stamps are a thing of the past for practical uses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.