Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US State Department lifts March advisory on avoiding international travel

Old Aug 6, 20, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

The U.S. State Department has lifted its advisory on avoiding international travel.

The agency said Thursday in a press release that lifting the global health advisory, issued at the highest alert level – level 4 – March 19, was done in coordination with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ry/3310952001/
Old Aug 6, 20, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Good news. I wonder how long until my company drops the 14 day quarantine for returning employees. I don't really understand that considering just about every country in the world isn't as bad as here.
Old Aug 6, 20, 12:53 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Help me understand, what countries people from US can actually travel to, LOL

It's safe to say we can receive people from other places as they pose a lower risk to US, I'd say not the other way around, sadly.
Old Aug 6, 20, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
How long before the travel ban between the US and Europe/UK is lifted?
lhrsfo, LETTERBOY and oil like this.
Old Aug 6, 20, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Full Score View Post
Given the US numbers: quite a while
Old Aug 6, 20, 3:22 pm

Do Not Travel countries are now limited mainly to Latin America, Africa, and the Middle East. Of course, China is still on the list for political reasons. It will be interesting to see if anything actually comes of this. No one was really heeding the Lvl 4 advisory, anyway. People were deciding to travel based entirely on entry restrictions and risk tolerance, and will continue to do so. As the second wave starts to gain momentum across Europe and Asia, I seriously doubt we will see many places magically opening up to US residents, regardless of what the State Department says.
Old Aug 6, 20, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by curt View Post
Given the US numbers: quite a while
It's kind of ridiculous to ban an entire country when large swaths of it are ell past the peak, similar to Europe. Barring travelers from Boston because Arizona is spiking makes zero sense IMO.
Old Aug 6, 20, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by pfreet View Post
It's kind of ridiculous to ban an entire country when large swaths of it are ell past the peak, similar to Europe. Barring travelers from Boston because Arizona is spiking makes zero sense IMO.
The US did ban the whole EU containing dozens of entire countries within a second. Just saying...
Old Aug 6, 20, 6:00 pm

Programs: *G
Because it's very simple for someone to just drive (or book a separate domestic ticket) from Arizona to somewhere "exempt" if they wanted to.
Old Aug 6, 20, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
Because it's very simple for someone to just drive (or book a separate domestic ticket) from Arizona to somewhere "exempt" if they wanted to.
Very simple to drive from Arizona to Massachusetts :-)
Old Aug 6, 20, 6:21 pm

Programs: *G
Very simple to drive from Arizona to Massachusetts :-)
Very simple as in "there's nothing stopping you", unlike, say, driving to Canada. And you can always fly domestically, too! Not much anyone can do to verify where in the US to came from - better safe than sorry.
Sjoerd likes this.
Old Aug 6, 20, 6:37 pm

Itís not like movement between states is restricted so it makes sense to ban the entire country. Very few countries are welcoming to Americans now and that makes complete sense to me.
Old Aug 6, 20, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL 1.8MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Itís not like movement between states is restricted so it makes sense to ban the entire country. Very few countries are welcoming to Americans now and that makes complete sense to me.
It's a sad day when one can't travel from state to state in the same country because of politics...

I am reminded of a scene from Hunt for Red October where Sam Neill's character asks Sean Connery's character...Capt. Vasili Borodin : I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?

Captain Ramius : I suppose.

Capt. Vasili Borodin : No papers?

Captain Ramius : No papers, state to state.

Capt. Vasili Borodin : Well then, in winter I will live in... Arizona. Actually, I think I will need two wives.

Captain Ramius : Oh, at least.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 7, 20, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Full Score View Post
By which side? I don't see the EU lifting it anytime soon.
Old Aug 7, 20, 2:51 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Turkey and the UK (although you must self isolate in the UK). Or you can go to Turkey for 2 weeks, then head over to the UK and do no self isolation, but I guess very few people would actually bother.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: