Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Old Nov 5, 20, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
Greece is going on full national lockdown starting Sat 6am for 3-4 weeks, details to be announced tomorrow noon. It will be a full lockdown, you need a permission slip to get out of the house for approved reasons, as in last March.
Are schools in Greece staying open? Here in the UK I have seen large groups of kids/teenagers congregating after school with zero social distancing going on. Hugging, playful wrestling - you name it they are doing it. I appreciate it might be more challenging to get kids to comply with social distancing rules but putting the leisure industry aside for a moment, this is a real breeding ground for the virus spreading.

Greece was on my ever reducing shortlist of somewhere to go to but that has been ruled out given the ban on international travel from England for the next four weeks.
Old Nov 5, 20, 6:12 am

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Saint4805 View Post
Are schools in Greece staying open? Here in the UK I have seen large groups of kids/teenagers congregating after school with zero social distancing going on. Hugging, playful wrestling - you name it they are doing it. I appreciate it might be more challenging to get kids to comply with social distancing rules but putting the leisure industry aside for a moment, this is a real breeding ground for the virus spreading.

Greece was on my ever reducing shortlist of somewhere to go to but that has been ruled out given the ban on international travel from England for the next four weeks.
Pre-school and elementary schools will stay open, all else remote learning. Full measures below:

https://news.gtp.gr/2020/11/05/greec...covid-19-wave/
Saint4805 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 20, 9:50 am

Now that November has arrived, let's look back at our projections.....

Originally Posted by IAATM View Post
If you believe that a safe and effective exogenous vaccine will someday be created, then the logical step for the OP whilst we await said exogenous vaccine would be to seek out those places who’ve been hardest hit. Those places have essentially been innoculated with an endogenous vaccine (the live SARS-CoV2 virus). Therefore, by seeking out places come November that were previously hot spots, the OP is seeking out places with elevated percentages of people with antibodies against the virus..
Now that we're in November the WSJ is reporting exactly that, "“as the pandemic’s second wave spreads across Italy and Europe, Bergamo is being spared. The city and its surrounding province have lower infection rates than many other parts of Italy. Bergamo’s main hospital has beds to spare and is taking in patients from harder-hit cities such as Milan............What we are seeing is that the spring’s worst-hit areas are among the least affected now,” said Claudio Cancelli, the mayor of Nembro............Bergamo is recording around 21 new virus cases a day for every 100,000 residents, compared with 47 across Italy on average, and 103 in Milan, according to official data.....“We are very far from achieving herd immunity, but areas that experienced a high frequency of infections, there are probably enough antibodies to limit the circulation of the virus,” said Giuseppe Remuzzi, a Bergamo-based infectious-disease expert who oversaw the antibody survey and co-wrote a recent paper in The Lancet based on its findings.

"
https://www.wsj.com/articles/bergamo...hp_featst_pos3

hurnik, the810 and FlitBen like this.

Last edited by IAATM; Nov 6, 20 at 9:59 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 6, 20, 6:59 pm

Programs: QF, UA, NZ,AS
Lots of Earthquakes to worry about. Would rather stay home than be visiting Turkey or any other country for that matter, who 'Don't enforce strict entry requirements. You could come here to Australia, but we won't let you in...for that matter, we won't let 'Us'' out !!

But Im happy with this policy. I see great benefit of being cut off from the rest of the world.

I just cannot understand why people need to feel the need to escape, when its your's and other's you don't know about, lives AT RISK!
GadgetFreak, karenkay and sbs2716g like this.
Old Nov 7, 20, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
I just cannot understand why people need to feel the need to escape, when its your's and other's you don't know about, lives AT RISK!
People have their reasons that you perhaps cannot understand. And there are worse things than COVID. Maybe give this a read as just one of many examples. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/w...-violence.html
Boraxo, cruisr, ExpatExp and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 7, 20, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
People have their reasons that you perhaps cannot understand. And there are worse things than COVID. Maybe give this a read as just one of many examples. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/w...-violence.html
I'm glad not quite everybody is completely tunnel visioned over this virus.
84fiero and LonghornDXB like this.
Old Nov 7, 20, 6:52 am

Not leaving my doggies for winter sunshine and warmer UK months are a delight at my home!

Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by Qatar Airways; Nov 7, 20 at 6:58 am
Old Nov 7, 20, 6:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
And suicide 😢
cruisr, 84fiero, the810 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 4:52 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Sapphire (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond
Originally Posted by IAATM View Post
Now that we're in November the WSJ is reporting exactly that, "as the pandemics second wave spreads across Italy and Europe, Bergamo is being spared. The city and its surrounding province have lower infection rates than many other parts of Italy. Bergamos main hospital has beds to spare and is taking in patients from harder-hit cities such as Milan............What we are seeing is that the springs worst-hit areas are among the least affected now, said Claudio Cancelli, the mayor of Nembro............Bergamo is recording around 21 new virus cases a day for every 100,000 residents, compared with 47 across Italy on average, and 103 in Milan, according to official data.....We are very far from achieving herd immunity, but areas that experienced a high frequency of infections, there are probably enough antibodies to limit the circulation of the virus, said Giuseppe Remuzzi, a Bergamo-based infectious-disease expert who oversaw the antibody survey and co-wrote a recent paper in The Lancet based on its findings.

"
https://www.wsj.com/articles/bergamo...hp_featst_pos3

Sweden is not having the same experience:

20%(!) of covid tests on Stockholm residents are positive (up from ~1% in August) the number of inpatients in hospitals ICU is now increasing dramatically The second wave is here now, says Johan Styrud, chairman of the Stockholm Medical Association
https://www.dn.se/sthlm/var-femte-st...-covidsmittad/
Old Nov 10, 20, 9:59 am

Programs: SAS EBG / *A Gold, Radisson Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Sweden (or Stockholm) never had infection levels comparable to those of Bergamo. Therefore, Swedish second wave should be more in line with the rest of Europe.
Old Nov 10, 20, 11:32 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Sapphire (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond
You are right. But there were plenty of messages that Stockholm would have herd immunity by this Winter, in this thread.

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
Herd immunity Sweden, Milan, New York, London are the safest as they have the highest amount of cases cumulatively so unlikely to have 'second waves' or lockdowns.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
You mean that beating a virus usually causes immunity to the person? Forget me being a scientists, but I do remember the UK chief scientific officer saying the words ‘herd immunity’ either naturally or through a vaccine very clearly in a live press conference.

That’s what I’m saying here, so to the point of the OP, the more the country has dealt with a virus the lower the chances of a ‘second wave’ (aka the Swedish model and the UK model before they did a U-turn, but by the time they did the virus was so prevalent in London that it had pretty much already passed the peak by the time it locked down!)

So London is relatively safe from the Virus, (not as much as that ski resort of Austria or Bergamo and probably even Milan, but still decent)
Old Nov 10, 20, 12:02 pm

At the moment the Canary Islands are one of the best option, speaking about Europe. Just around 800-1000 cases per week for all islands. Just be informed that onwards from November 14th a negative PCR or RAT test is needed in the hotels, otherwise the are allowed to refuse you to stay. There is no test needed for the airline or airport security.
Old Nov 10, 20, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Axwell D View Post
At the moment the Canary Islands are one of the best option, speaking about Europe. Just around 800-1000 cases per week for all islands. Just be informed that onwards from November 14th a negative PCR or RAT test is needed in the hotels, otherwise the are allowed to refuse you to stay. There is no test needed for the airline or airport security.
I spent about 6 months working in the north of Tenerife, but visited the south and the top of the ancient volcano too. It reminded me very much of Hawaii. Extraordinarily beautiful and diverse. And it is "tax free" so many things like petrol are cheap. It is an excellent choice to spend time there.
Old Nov 10, 20, 12:35 pm

I spent about 6 months working in the north of Tenerife, but visited the south and the top of the ancient volcano too. It reminded me very much of Hawaii. Extraordinarily beautiful and diverse. And it is "tax free" so many things like petrol are cheap. It is an excellent choice to spend time there.
Definitely. Usually I am coming to Gran Canaria twice a year. The island offers so much possibilites for the exploriation of the nature because there are very much canyons, reservoirs and mountain roads. The beaches are also nice and especially the dunes in the south of Maspalomas are a must-see spot because usualy dunes like these you only can see in the Sahara. If anybody wants to go to Gran Canaria, just ask me, I can give a lot of good recommendations
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Nov 11, 20, 10:15 am

Programs: SAS EBG / *A Gold, Radisson Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Sweden will ban alcohol sales after 22:30. At last they joined the rest of Europe in firing random nonsensical meassures out of desperation. I expect people's compliance with meassures to get even lower now (and Systembolaget's revenue to skyrocket).
​​​
Boraxo and florens like this.

Search this Thread