Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by the810
UK is too unstable. I wouldn't bet my money, let alone my life on it staying open. The government obviously has no strategy, new lockdown may happen at any time.
the uk is much more relaxed than the media is saying id only worry about the north especially Scotland as Nicola Sturegon is quite aggressive!

London is fine so many ppl have had it in the city already. so it is relatively immune and well protected, similar to NYC and Milan.
im not saying London is fully immune or will be COVID free, but it certainly has more defence from it than most places in the world due to previous exposure, Feb and March was insane in London, most of the people I know had symptoms then without knowing whether they had it or not.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
London is fine so many ppl have had it in the city already. so it is relatively immune and well protected, similar to NYC and Milan.
There is zero scientific proof for your opinion quoted above.
DYKWIA, 8420PR and nk15 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
There is zero scientific proof for your opinion quoted above.
there is no proof to the contrary either so it’s up to the individual to decide whether there is immunity or not; but judging from previous corona viruses and viruses in general there is certainly immunity of some sort and the winter is only a few months away, so we are not asking whether immunity lasts for a lifetime or not here

and if ‘the science’ disagreed with me then certainly medical professionals globally would not be bothering for asking recovered people for convalescent plasma!
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 3:01 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Science does not work like this, it is not up to people to make their opinion. Instead they should say “I do not know”.
Convalescent plasma is asked for trials and study, because we do not know whether it works.

You might want to read some basic about virus before sprouting such nonsense.
Sjoerd, DYKWIA, bensyd and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Science does not work like this, it is not up to people to make their opinion. Instead they should say “I do not know”.
I agree completely. But instead in these forums we have people trying to make authoritative statements that breakouts in places like Florida and Texas are due to bad behavior. They have no idea what is causing the breakouts. But some find it easy to attack the character of people in other lands rather than just saying "I do not know".
exbayern, the810, Segments and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Convalescent plasma is asked for trials and study, because we do not know whether it works.

You might want to read some basic about virus before sprouting such nonsense.
You mean that beating a virus usually causes immunity to the person? Forget me being a scientists, but I do remember the UK chief scientific officer saying the words ‘herd immunity’ either naturally or through a vaccine very clearly in a live press conference.

That’s what I’m saying here, so to the point of the OP, the more the country has dealt with a virus the lower the chances of a ‘second wave’ (aka the Swedish model and the UK model before they did a U-turn, but by the time they did the virus was so prevalent in London that it had pretty much already passed the peak by the time it locked down!)

So London is relatively safe from the Virus, (not as much as that ski resort of Austria or Bergamo and probably even Milan, but still decent)
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
best place? At home.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 8:51 pm

Second wave? The first wave never went away. Any place that isn't densely populated would be ideal.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
best place? At home.
And as noted several times, for many FTers 'home' is a transient location. Where one is today may not be 'home', and I appreciate the information sharing here even if some of you feel the need to tell us to stay 'home' when some of us don't really have that, or are not there right now. This thread has presented options I had not considered, and I appreciate that.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 12:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by exbayern
And as noted several times, for many FTers 'home' is a transient location. Where one is today may not be 'home', and I appreciate the information sharing here even if some of you feel the need to tell us to stay 'home' when some of us don't really have that, or are not there right now. This thread has presented options I had not considered, and I appreciate that.
Absolutely. "Home" can be quite a subjective concept for many people.

For many people, life is also about more than just having a pulse. I for one have no intention of spending several months of mine staring at four walls and watching trashy cop shows on YouTube because it's 2°C outside and there's a bug going around.

If there is one thing that these lockdowns have taught me, it is that freedom is a very precious and fragile thing. Carpe diem.
exbayern, the810 and PVDtoDEL like this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 12:17 am

So London is relatively safe from the Virus, (not as much as that ski resort of Austria or Bergamo and probably even Milan, but still decent)
There is zero scientific proof for your opinion.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 2:41 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

You mean that beating a virus usually causes immunity to the person? Forget me being a scientists, but I do remember the UK chief scientific officer saying the words ‘herd immunity’ either naturally or through a vaccine very clearly in a live press conference.

That’s what I’m saying here, so to the point of the OP, the more the country has dealt with a virus the lower the chances of a ‘second wave’ (aka the Swedish model and the UK model before they did a U-turn, but by the time they did the virus was so prevalent in London that it had pretty much already passed the peak by the time it locked down!)

Several points:
- Recovering from a viral infection usually cause immunity, there are exceptions though (Dengue fever) . This immunity is not necessarily lasting. Other CoV have immunity lasting at best 3 years, some less than one year. Flu immunity is one year.
- The UK CSO never said herd immunity *will* be conferred. He say it *may be*
- The current resurgence hot spots are directly contradicting the theory that high prevalence in March-May means no second wave. Catalonia and Ile de France were hit hard and are currently the area with the highest rate of attack in both Spain and France.
- Except if you weren’t overburdened with an abundance of schooling the base of the scientific method (hypothese - experiments - observations - deductions) are part of the general culture. You do not need to be a scientist to know that if we do not know something, you can not just make up your opinion and present it as facts.
Sjoerd likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 2:51 am

Let’s also take into account how strict authorities are with COVID. In that case I want to be in a country that is the most relaxed, and in Europe that is Sweden, then Switzerland then the UK.

in some ways I was lucky in the uk in that there was not one single day during the whole pandemic that I was confined to my house; I left the house every single day without needing to ask the authorities for permission, there wasn’t much to do because things were closed but at least I had the freedom to leave my house and stay out as long as I please (there was no limit to exercise or access to parks)

so assuming a second wave the last place I would want to be would be some fake democracy where they ask for a paper to even leave your house of which many supposedly developed European countries are guilty of!
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:10 am

Let’s also take into account how strict authorities are with COVID. In that case I want to be in a country that is the most relaxed, and in Europe that is Sweden, then Switzerland then the UK.
Wrong again! Just one example: the Netherlands is more “relaxed” than the UK.

In several UK cities, at this very moment, you cannot even invite the guests you want to your own house. In April, you were not allowed to drive wherever you wanted (or else why were the newspapers full with stories about Mr Cummings’ trip to Durham?).

So no, the UK is certainly not the #3 most relaxed country in Europe during this pandemic.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:13 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Germany was also very relaxed (Lander dependent though) and more things are now open than in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.