Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US passport holder attempting to travel to Germany via Canada or AMS

Old Jul 23, 20, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

As Canada is on the list of countries that Germany is allowing non-essential/tourism travel, can a US Citizen with a US Passport who has stayed in Canada for the past 14 days, and tested negative for corona, receive clearance to enter Germany without a visa? Specifically Frankfurt?

Or is it easier to fly into Amsterdam or Zurich and drive/take a train into Germany where the chances of getting stopped by border patrol are less likely?

I have contacted the American embassy in Germany as well as the Canadian embassy, and both are giving me conflicting information.

Edit: Own Residence is in USA, Familial residence in Canada, No residence in Germany
Old Jul 23, 20, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

JFK-AMS-FRA: Border Control/Passport clearance experiences? [US passport holder]

Has anyone flown the JFK-AMS-FRA route operated by DL/KLM recently and can share experience on what the passport clearance/control was like upon entering Frankfurt with an US Citizenship/Passport? Do they actually check your documents and question "essential" before allowing you to proceed?
Old Jul 23, 20, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Haven't been to the EU since the shutdowns, however at this point I would absolutely expect that they are going to be asking for evidence of traveling for essential work, since leisure and non-essential travel by US passport holders is not allowed. Previously the exemption for essential was limited mostly to health and medical workers. The verbiage in the EU recommendation now is more broad and allows for 'Highly qualified third-country workers if their employment is necessary from an economic perspective and the work cannot be postponed or performed abroad'.

You'll have to clear passport control and enter the EU in AMS, so it will be up to them to permit you entrance to the Schengen area but would not surprise me if Germany is more strict.
Old Jul 23, 20, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The answer here is the same as in your other two threads on the exact same topic. On what basis do you seek admission to Germany? Without a specific basis (and accompanying documentation which goes far beyond "essential") you would be denied admission to Germany no matter what routing you take. As such, you will be denied boarding in the US.
Yoshi212 and Smiley90 like this.
Old Jul 23, 20, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The answer here is the same as in your other two threads on the exact same topic. On what basis do you seek admission to Germany? Without a specific basis (and accompanying documentation which goes far beyond "essential") you would be denied admission to Germany no matter what routing you take. As such, you will be denied boarding in the US.
It would be for tourism. Why would an US Citizen who has not been in the USA for the past 14 days, be banned from entering Germany if they depart from one of the countries that are on the list of included countries allowing travel from? In this case it would be from Canada
Old Jul 23, 20, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gertjaars View Post
Has anyone flown the JFK-AMS-FRA route operated by DL/KLM recently and can share experience on what the passport clearance/control was like upon entering Frankfurt with an US Citizenship/Passport? Do they actually check your documents and question "essential" before allowing you to proceed?
You will clear immigration at AMS, not FRA.
Old Jul 23, 20, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
You will clear immigration at AMS, not FRA.
So US Citizen Passport holders are allowed in Amsterdam, for transit? And would my US Passport be checked again in Frankfurt if its my final destination?
Old Jul 23, 20, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
So US Citizen Passport holders are allowed in Amsterdam, for transit? And would my US Passport be checked again in Frankfurt if its my final destination?
I doubt you will be allowed to board the plane in the US bound for Europe unless you're considered an essential worker, as described elsewhere on this thread.
mkt and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jul 23, 20, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Germany and Netherlands are both part of the Schengen area (primarily EU countries).

You will be subject to Netherlands entry requirements as you will enter the EU at AMS, not FRA.
Old Jul 23, 20, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Keep in mind you will be subject to immigration at Schiphol, but Frankfurt could also run a separate check on you. So you need to be able to prove that you can enter both The Netherlands and Germany.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 23, 20, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
As others have mentioned, the first check will be at Delta check-in at JFK. They have programmed their systems to be quite restrictive in terms of US citizensí entry into countries with restrictions in place. I have a US passport but also residency in one of the European/Schengen zone countries but I was originally rejected when the agent ran my passport and my European residence card through. She then had to manually put in the European country name as my residence (after the appropriate checks of course) in order to check me in.

At AMS, you will have to go through passport control to get to your FRA flight. You will need to have the appropriate paperwork to show them (basically anything to prove you are part of the exempted group of US passport holders who can enter Europe). After that the AMS-FRA flight would have no more scheduled checks since Schengen open borders have returned.

Not saying itís your intention, but there is really no way to get around these EU/Schengen entry restrictions for regular US citizens/residents who do not qualify for the list or exemptions.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 20, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
Keep in mind you will be subject to immigration at Schiphol, but Frankfurt could also run a separate check on you. So you need to be able to prove that you can enter both The Netherlands and Germany.
Since June 21 there is no restrictions on travelers coming from other EU countries to Germany. OP will need to meet NL entry conditions. Even before there was no real method as passengers from flight from AMS wouldn't be going through immigration.
Old Jul 24, 20, 1:31 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Why would an US Citizen who has not been in the USA for the past 14 days, be banned from entering Germany if they depart from one of the countries that are on the list of included countries allowing travel from? In this case it would be from Canada
I see your point. And I read the information on the relevant German Government page, which indeed speaks of "entering from third countries deemed safe", which includes Canada.
3. The place of departure is decisive in regard to whether it is possible to enter Germany, not the nationality of the person wishing to enter.
But it does not say how long one would need to have been in such a safe country before entering Germany.

In the absence of a Canadian passport or other resident document, your challenge will be to prove to anybody in your path (airline employees, border agents etc.) that you have indeed spent sufficient time in Canada - a hard thing to do given "sufficient" is not defined
LifeontheBeach likes this.
Old Jul 24, 20, 1:34 am

I think it's pretty clear that by the letter you'd be fine. The only issue is with the airline staff at check-in. They will have seen few cases like yours and are likely to err on the side of caution. Sometimes, there is no arguing with airline staff!
Old Jul 24, 20, 2:24 am

It would be for tourism. Why would an US Citizen who has not been in the USA for the past 14 days, be banned from entering Germany if they depart from one of the countries that are on the list of included countries allowing travel from? In this case it would be from Canada
For the same reason Tunisia won't let me in despite not being in the US for the last 6 months. They don't know where you've been and it's safer to simply keep all Americans out.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: