Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US passport holder attempting to travel to Germany via Canada or AMS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US passport holder attempting to travel to Germany via Canada or AMS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2020, 4:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Not saying it’s your intention, but there is really no way to get around these EU/Schengen entry restrictions for regular US citizens/residents who do not qualify for the list or exemptions.
I have thought that an US citizen, residing in a "safe" non-EU Country (there is a list published by the European Commission), is allowed entry into the Schengen zone. Of course, he must travel directly from that "safe" country.
So, there is a way around this, however, JFK-FRA is a no-go.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 5:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by warakorn
I have thought that an US citizen, residing in a "safe" non-EU Country (there is a list published by the European Commission), is allowed entry into the Schengen zone. Of course, he must travel directly from that "safe" country.
So, there is a way around this, however, JFK-FRA is a no-go.
So what are you suggesting? Routing through Canada is not an option due to the entry restriction there.

And even if he found such a safe third-party country, he would still be subject to a 14-day mandatory quarantine unless he stayed in that safe country for at least 14 days after leaving the US.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 6:41 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Two threads started by Gertjaars attempting to travel to Germany from the US for tourism have been merged. Please do not start separate threads on a similar subject.

NewbieRunner
Forum mod
Old Jul 24, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
It would be for tourism. Why would an US Citizen who has not been in the USA for the past 14 days, be banned from entering Germany if they depart from one of the countries that are on the list of included countries allowing travel from? In this case it would be from Canada
may I suggest that you just wait, like most of usa based travelers until countries start lifting travel bans. We had 4 trips to Europe/England
all put on hold for now.. and besides.. not sure what is even open in Germany right now to see as a tourist.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
It's simple. Tourism should not be a goal right now. Sit tight, it sucks, but sit tight and let's get past the pandemic, then travel all you want. Trying to skirt around rules for tourism reasons is simply selfish
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 7:26 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
take a train into Germany where the chances of getting stopped by border patrol are less likely?
That's the spirit!
Old Jul 24, 2020, 7:30 am

I am gonna hook you up.

My friend just did it.
Fly to London. Get on Eurostar to Paris, you will clear immigration to Schengan in London and they are very lax. It`s best you stay 14 days outside of us first though.
Once in Paris, buy a ticket to Germany.
Gertjaars likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 7:46 am
Suspended

I think it may be of interest to some to clarify what are the risks of sneaking in?

What if you have an accident and your identity needs to be verified?

What if a pick pocket steals your wallet? You want to file a police report but that implies the police finds out you entered the country illegally?

What if you get sick? Will your travel insurances and health insurance provide coverage? Wouldn't they likely inquire about the purpose of your trip? Maybe you can't say you are there for business because then the insurance doesn't cover. Or may maybe you can't say you are there for leisure because the insurance knows you cannot legally enter as a tourist...
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:09 am

If you can prove that you are a resident of Canada you should be able to enter without doing any tricks.

Call the Federal Police at FRA for advice. They are the ones who have to interpet the rules. The rules say as a Canadian resident you are allowed to enter.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
If you can prove that you are a resident of Canada you should be able to enter without doing any tricks.
but
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Own Residence is in USA, Familial residence in Canada, No residence in Germany
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by YYCCL3

Call the Federal Police at FRA for advice. They are the ones who have to interpet the rules. The rules say as a Canadian resident you are allowed to enter.
The person is not a resident of Canada. it appears that the intent is to travel via a Canada to circumvent the disease control regulations. The person should not expect to clear Canada unchallenged. The Canadian position is unchanged;
Only Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and certain foreign nationals travelling for essential purposesare able to enter Canada by air at this time. Discretionary or optional travel for recreation, or tourism is not allowed.
Yes, I know the tourism would not be in Canada, but it does not matter. This is not a Canadian resident. The rules are in place to stop this type of loop hole exploitation. It's because of efforts like this that many countries are so draconian with their travel bans.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
The person is not a resident of Canada. it appears that the intent is to travel via a Canada to circumvent the disease control regulations. The person should not expect to clear Canada unchallenged. The Canadian position is unchanged;
Only Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and certain foreign nationals travelling for essential purposesare able to enter Canada by air at this time. Discretionary or optional travel for recreation, or tourism is not allowed.
Yes, I know the tourism would not be in Canada, but it does not matter. This is not a Canadian resident. The rules are in place to stop this type of loop hole exploitation. It's because of efforts like this that many countries are so draconian with their travel bans.
No need to yell at me. I'm not the one trying to circumvent the rules!

I did misread the initial post though, and after reading it again clearly OP is not admissible as a general tourist to any of the countries mentioned.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:48 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by funkydrummer
I think it may be of interest to some to clarify what are the risks of sneaking in?

What if you have an accident and your identity needs to be verified?

What if a pick pocket steals your wallet? You want to file a police report but that implies the police finds out you entered the country illegally?

What if you get sick? Will your travel insurances and health insurance provide coverage? Wouldn't they likely inquire about the purpose of your trip? Maybe you can't say you are there for business because then the insurance doesn't cover. Or may maybe you can't say you are there for leisure because the insurance knows you cannot legally enter as a tourist...
Illegal entry: fine, deportation, needs to answer “ I entered illegally” in possible future visa applications.
In short: a very bad idea.

For the insurance you will simply not be covered as you went against the regulations.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:50 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
That's the spirit!
I regularly take the train Paris to Frankfurt, the border police always patrol the train at the border.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
Even when you have documentation things can get sticky.

A friend is a professor at a local University. He is on sabbatical for the fall term and had plans to do research in England for five months this fall.,taking his wife and two middle-school aged children with him. They were going to live with family in the northwest part of the country while there.

He had arranged with the local school to enroll his kids. All paperwork signed, sealed, delivered. Their place of residence was confirmed. COVID tests for all family members (2 each) had come back negative. COVID tests, school paperwork, passports. work permits in hand they boarded their flight on the 16th of July.When they arrived at Heathrow they were held by UK Immigration for 14 hours while all of this was double-checked.

Immigration was "convinced" they would not leave the country when they were supposed to. Their passports were confiscated but were allowed to proceed to their quarantine residence (family) while the matter was "taken under advisement." Everything they presented to officials was confirmed however, because they were going to enroll their kids in school for a few months, so the story goes, UK Immigration still didn't believe they would leave. After one week they were summarily kicked out of the country. Got home yesterday.

It ain't easy these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.