Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US Citizens Returning from International Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Citizens Returning from International Travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Is there any chance that JFK (and potentially EWR) are changing rules for international travel given the changes in rules for domestic travel?
Flying next week back to JFK from AMS and want to understand what the impact is... I understand there's a temp and health check and a form, and a recommended quarantine, but anything more?

Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:16 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vanillabean
And more recently, but still pre-pandemic.

A Dallas-born citizen picked up by the Border Patrol has been detained for three weeks, his lawyer says

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/immi...s-lawyer-says/
This doesn't really seem to be a relevant comparison - the person in question was detained because they entered the US on a Mexican passport with US visa and then overstayed. US citizens are required to enter the US on the basis of their US citizenship (e.g. passport, birth certificate, etc.).
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
This doesn't really seem to be a relevant comparison - the person in question was detained because they entered the US on a Mexican passport with US visa and then overstayed. US citizens are required to enter the US on the basis of their US citizenship (e.g. passport, birth certificate, etc.).
No. US citizens don't need anything to enter the US.
I would say it isn't the most common scenario but it also illustrates how Mexicans are treated differently. They are guilty until proven innocent in these citizenship cases, and even when proven citizens CBP needs some court to mandate it to follow the law before it does anything.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
US citizens are required to enter the US on the basis of their US citizenship (e.g. passport, birth certificate, etc.).
This is correct for any US citizen. Even if you have dual or multiple nationalities, to enter the US you must use your US passport. Or more to the point, you cannot enter the US using one of your other passports. Many Europeans have been sent home due to this rule. One of the most famous incidents was UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson back when he was Mayor of London.
MSPeconomist, Often1 and PVDtoDEL like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 3:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You mean ‘many Americans sent back to Europe’ surely.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You mean ‘many Americans sent back to Europe’ surely.
Why would Americans be sent back to Europe?
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by stimpy
This is correct for any US citizen. Even if you have dual or multiple nationalities, to enter the US you must use your US passport. Or more to the point, you cannot enter the US using one of your other passports. Many Europeans have been sent home due to this rule. One of the most famous incidents was UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson back when he was Mayor of London.
This is the correct formulation.

A US national cannot be denied entry to the US (common to almost all nations). But, that does not obviate the issues presented when one arrives documented as a national of another country. One is then treated as a national of that country until and unless one's US nationality can be established.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
They're dual citizens but only showed their other passport when attempting to enter the USA.
PVDtoDEL likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
They wouldn’t!
Old Aug 8, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Back when I was a public defender, I represented a natural born US citizen who ICE tried to deport three damn times. The first two time he was in prison and ICE placed holds on him. The first time was at least a month, long enough that he wanted to self-deport, but thankfully a immigration judge spoke to him before he waved anything. Second time was maybe a week or so.
People may say that he shouldn't have broken the law, but a American citizen who's done his time has a right to go the hell home.
The third time, when I had him, he was arrested for literal ........, the DA was prepared to dismiss, but he already had an immigration hold. He had told the ICE agent he was a USC and they accused him of lying. We had to keep him in custody a day so I could get him his birth certificate. He still had to spend a night in ICE custody, which is a night too long for a US citizen to spend in ICE custody.

FWIW, my Canadian/American dual citizen aunt has crossed the border a few times on her Canadian passport and gets nothing but a scolding.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Just a follow up on my friends situation. They traveled through Preclearance with no issues. At CBP, mentioned she was US citizen and was sent into secondary. IO laughed they had no passport (Covid and all); looked something up in the system (that was so quick by the time they sat down it was completed), and wished them a safe flight. Did not need to see Naturalization Cert either.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
This thread combines two entirely different concepts:
1. US nationals have a constitutional right to enter the US. The pandemic has never precluded any US national from entry. Similarly, LPR's and certain family members have been exempted from various orders.
2. None of this has anything to do with quarantine and what that involves.

Roughly the same equivalent exists for most countries, especially in Europe, e.g. citizens and those with a residence permit (whatever it may be called) are admissible, but may be subject to quarantine. Again, what constitutes quarantine will differ.

Rather than broad-based statements, the easiest effort is to run the specific parameters which apply to you though TIMATIC. That will display an accurate result for today (which may change tomorrow). If you want certainty, don't plan or book travel until the day you plan to leave.
Looks like this may be changing for US Citizens. Will those of us abroad face a stateless future?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/10/w...#link-62ce7b25
Old Aug 10, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
There's an article in the New York times that indicates that there's a draft regulation coming from the White House that US Citizens and US Legal Residents can be blocked/banned from entering the US if they are "suspected" of having the coronavirus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/10/w...l#link-15c585d

Please move to correct thread
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Back on topic, I recently returned from Europe and had a painless arrival experience. I had filled out the CDC form on the plane and just handed it to the officer who was waiting just past the jet bridge. No mention of quarantine or anything, but they did a temperature check. I had taken a PCR test a few days earlier anyways but nobody asked to see my negative results.
ExpatExp and Often1 like this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Looks like this may be changing for US Citizens. Will those of us abroad face a stateless future?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/10/w...#link-62ce7b25
I suspect, but nobody can tell you for sure, that this is largely for the land border with Mexico. If someone symptomatic steps off an aircraft at a gateway airport, it is going to be quite hard to deal with. Leave them in the sterile area to suffer? Put them on a plane back to their origin so they can infect a couple of hundred additional passengers?

I do suspect that this will result in carriers imposing testing and other requirements just as many governments / carriers have done in Portugal & ME.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.