Reload this Page >

Traveling Internationally with pets during these times [DEN to AMS]

Old Jun 28, 20, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Every one of them

Hi All,
I got relocated to Amsterdam for work. My partner and our dogs are supposed to arrive around July 9th and of course now most airlines don't allow dogs as checked luggage. We looked at pet relocation companies, but they want an arm and a leg to ship the dogs and they are requiring us to meet them in LAX and DFW (Hot spot for Covid).
She is supposed to fly from Denver to Amsterdam. Sadly the LH direct flight to Munich or Frankfurt is no longer running and I can't find any information on when it will resume flights.
Does anyone have any advice on this? We are thinking about having her drive to DFW to check in the dogs herself with AA, but now they are saying they aren't accepting the dogs as checked in luggage. So, do the relocation companies have a special contract with them?

Thanks for all your help.
Old Jun 28, 20, 6:39 pm

what size is the pet? There are still options for taking pets in cabin on DL and KL. Otherwise it seems like it is pretty much an across the board suspension. I would call LH to check current status. Also, I would all travel together as there may be issues if the non working partner is traveling alone. They are checking documentation to ensure pax are eligible to enter the EU.
Old Jun 28, 20, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Every one of them
I was just informed that they can fly cargo with klm out of Chicago.
They are a German shepherd and Australian shepherd. So, too big to be on board.
I have an EU passport and she's my partner. I have a work contract here and we have a lease signed. I'm hoping that the lease and work contract can be enough info for them as she can't get a visa until she's in the country.

Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
what size is the pet? There are still options for taking pets in cabin on DL and KL. Otherwise it seems like it is pretty much an across the board suspension. I would call LH to check current status. Also, I would all travel together as there may be issues if the non working partner is traveling alone. They are checking documentation to ensure pax are eligible to enter the EU.
Old Jun 29, 20, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Friends of our just flew AMS-ATL DL with their dog as cargo, no issues. Not sure what you mean travelling as checked luggage, as animals are always handled separately. Entering the EU for you purposes should be no issue for you and your spouse.
Old Jun 29, 20, 8:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by clibb View Post
We looked at pet relocation companies, but they want an arm and a leg to ship the dogs...
It's an expensive business but it's worth it. In case it's of any use, we used https://jetsetpets.ae when we moved from the UK to the USA and were very impressed with their service.
Old Jun 29, 20, 8:31 am

They will ask for a marriage license or similar. They likely will refuse boarding without the right paperwork if the ban is still in place. Best make sure you know what is required and travel together.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: