Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Need to Fly and Cannot Bring Back Covid

Old Jun 19, 20, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, AA, United

I am away from home taking care of my elderly father who now lives alone since my mom passed away last year. He is just finishing chemotherapy and cannot fly due to a blood clot and the related risk of DVT. In his current state, covid would kill him pretty quickly. We do not leave the house except for his chemo treatments and off-peak grocery shopping when no one else is out. We put all 'outside' clothes for wash as soon as we come home and take showers immediately. This has kept us safe.

I haven't seen my wife in over 5 months and she has several days off in July. For the sake of our marriage I need to go see her. The risk is that I could bring back covid to my dad. The flight would be HSV to SFO so a long haul with plenty of exposure.

So the most extreme measure would be to charter a flight just for myself and wear a complete hazmat suit. This would almost reduce the odds to nothing. Unfortunately, we can't afford to do this.

Next idea is to fly first class with hazmat suit. But I don't know what the odds would be in this scenario.

Next idea is just first class. Again this increases odds.

Any other ideas? I've already lost my mom and I don't want to lose my dad or my wife. I'm open to any suggestions.
Old Jun 19, 20, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
I am away from home taking care of my elderly father who now lives alone since my mom passed away last year. He is just finishing chemotherapy and cannot fly due to a blood clot and the related risk of DVT. In his current state, covid would kill him pretty quickly. We do not leave the house except for his chemo treatments and off-peak grocery shopping when no one else is out. We put all 'outside' clothes for wash as soon as we come home and take showers immediately. This has kept us safe.

I haven't seen my wife in over 5 months and she has several days off in July. For the sake of our marriage I need to go see her. The risk is that I could bring back covid to my dad. The flight would be HSV to SFO so a long haul with plenty of exposure.

So the most extreme measure would be to charter a flight just for myself and wear a complete hazmat suit. This would almost reduce the odds to nothing. Unfortunately, we can't afford to do this.

Next idea is to fly first class with hazmat suit. But I don't know what the odds would be in this scenario.

Next idea is just first class. Again this increases odds.

Any other ideas? I've already lost my mom and I don't want to lose my dad or my wife. I'm open to any suggestions.
Wear gloves and a mask. Wearing a full hazmat suit might get you thrown off the plane.

If you need to ďseeĒ you wife, just use Skype or Zoom. If you need to do more than see, then there will always be a risk. Iím not going to suggest a private plane, as that would break your bank.
Old Jun 19, 20, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
How long are you comfortable to be away from your dad for in order to see your wife?

My thought would be to take only the common precautions when you travel - assuming your wife is not in a highly vulnerable group. When you return to your dad's location, self-isolate in a nearby place for 7-14 days before you see him again. This way, you only need to be "clean" for the journey from your isolation location to your dad's place.

Alternatively, have your wife travel to your dad's location and quarantine nearby. Then go spend some time with her there, and return to your dad.
Old Jun 19, 20, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Is it possible for wife to fly to you? And visit in a separate location or room in house?

If not, Iíd say wear a N95 mask if you can find one and a fabric over that (to wash later). And glasses. For extra caution you could also wear a clear face shield. And try for non stop or minimum stops. When you return and for 14 days, Iíd say wear a fabric mask when around your father or in home outside of your immediate room. Iíd also monitor my temp and blood oxygen level with an oximeter. Just so if you do contract Covid and have any symptoms, you can catch it early.

There was a news story of a woman with Covid who was discharged from hospital still testing positive. She went home to care for her children and no one else in the apartment got Covid. She wore a mask when interacting with them.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 19, 20, 2:37 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA

Covid tests have now become very common (we can get them without a prescription and via drive-through).

Have your wife get a Covid test prior to coming down to see you. If you want to be really safe, put her up in a hotel for a day and then repeat the test after she arrives (I don't think that this is necessary but you have been very cautious to this point about infection control). If they are negative, then she should be able to spend time with you. I admire your attention to detail as far as being safe with your father.

Unless your wife has had a high risk of exposure to Covid at her place of employment or is a health care worker, I think getting negative Covid testing should do the trick.
Old Jun 19, 20, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Wear gloves and a mask. Wearing a full hazmat suit might get you thrown off the plane.

If you need to ďseeĒ you wife, just use Skype or Zoom. If you need to do more than see, then there will always be a risk. Iím not going to suggest a private plane, as that would break your bank.
It seems that others have flown in a full hazmat suit without issue, hence the idea. It probably would be just as safe just to use our normal protocol of washing all clothes and taking a shower after exposure, but these are extended exposure times.

I 'see' her every day. But me not being home for that long takes a toll on her as she is alone there. Plus, I want to see home again. I've been away so long that I don't remember the feeling of 'home' anymore.
Old Jun 19, 20, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli View Post
How long are you comfortable to be away from your dad for in order to see your wife?

My thought would be to take only the common precautions when you travel - assuming your wife is not in a highly vulnerable group. When you return to your dad's location, self-isolate in a nearby place for 7-14 days before you see him again. This way, you only need to be "clean" for the journey from your isolation location to your dad's place.

Alternatively, have your wife travel to your dad's location and quarantine nearby. Then go spend some time with her there, and return to your dad.
About 10 days or so.

That's not a bad idea of isolating long enough for me to either get sick or not. I'll have to think about where I could do that. So far from what I've seen on flights though, my chances of infection are more on my way to SFO than on the way back since inbound SFO flights seem to always either be completely full or at least half full in first/bus.

My wife mentioned we could 'meet in the middle', but I know that's not what she wants--she wants me home to spend time with me, and I want to be home too as that's where our life is.
Old Jun 19, 20, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Any other ideas?
Don't fly at all. Seriously.

COVID-19 is not a local or regional problem, but worldwide. I can say with 100% certainty that you are definitely not the only married couple separated by COVID-19.

Your wife should definitely understand the problem and discourage you from traveling. If for some reasons, she does not, my bet is this marriage has come to an end before you know it (even before COVID-19). So going to her may not save the marriage as much as you think.

I am no expert in marriage or psychology. But let's face it - what's more important, health, i.e. staying alive, or marriage?

You need to make the necessary tradeoff somehow.
Old Jun 19, 20, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
Is it possible for wife to fly to you? And visit in a separate location or room in house?

If not, Iíd say wear a N95 mask if you can find one and a fabric over that (to wash later). And glasses. For extra caution you could also wear a clear face shield. And try for non stop or minimum stops. When you return and for 14 days, Iíd say wear a fabric mask when around your father or in home outside of your immediate room. Iíd also monitor my temp and blood oxygen level with an oximeter. Just so if you do contract Covid and have any symptoms, you can catch it early.

There was a news story of a woman with Covid who was discharged from hospital still testing positive. She went home to care for her children and no one else in the apartment got Covid. She wore a mask when interacting with them.
She could, but that wouldn't work for what she needs.

Any real masks are hard to find outside of safety supply places and they're months out to get one. I've actually got some safety goggles I can wear over my normal eyeglasses (good idea!). Complete hazmat suits with masks/shieds seem to be a little easier to get, hence my thoughts in that direction. Unfortunately I have to have one stop, so there's a chance of contagion there, but they're short stops so that should be helpful.

His house is large enough that generally we are not in the same room except potentially when eating or working on business stuff (I help manage his affairs), so I think there may be enough physical distance between us. We actually have a medical pulse oximeter at home so I could check that regularly, but I would need to start getting some baseline readings now. Great ideas!

Generally I do not interact with him after being outside without a shower and a change of clothes. We got laxed on this for a bit, but with cases more prevalent than ever and people out around here like 'there's nothing wrong' and behaving as such, we have locked down even harder on our own regiment.
Old Jun 19, 20, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
Covid tests have now become very common (we can get them without a prescription and via drive-through).

Have your wife get a Covid test prior to coming down to see you. If you want to be really safe, put her up in a hotel for a day and then repeat the test after she arrives (I don't think that this is necessary but you have been very cautious to this point about infection control). If they are negative, then she should be able to spend time with you. I admire your attention to detail as far as being safe with your father.

Unless your wife has had a high risk of exposure to Covid at her place of employment or is a health care worker, I think getting negative Covid testing should do the trick.
Actually my wife has been wfh since before the lockdowns so she's in good shape. The problem is that our home isn't here, it's there--and she wants her hubby home, even if just for a bit (I think any wives out there can relate). If she came to visit it would be like she's visiting me at work. Plus, then she risks getting exposed and bringing the virus here, which is essentially the same problem as me when I come back, potentially infecting my dad.

And one thing I would like to note after being in the hotel industry most of my life--unless a hotel has had sufficient staffing, time, and financial means to properly sanitize a room to hospital standards, there is no way a hotel room is going to be even as close to safe--there's just simply too much unsanitized traffic to make it safe from covid, no matter what they tell you. Same for rental cars. Hence why they are spending so much on marketing to tell you otherwise.

And speaking of cars--driving is an option--but it's a week in driving there and back and I'm not so young as the last few times I did the trek.
Old Jun 19, 20, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me your options are limited. If either travel there's a chance for infection. Travel then quarantine seems the best compromise.
Old Jun 19, 20, 5:04 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
so I totally hear you about wanting to do this trip safely as possible. there are so many factors that would make it difficult if you were a hazmat suit - what if you have to change flights etcetera - that I can't see that being a viable way to go as it may cause problems for TSA or other folks who wouldn't understand why you were wearing one.

That said whatever you do I think the safest course of action is to plan to quarantine for 14 days once you returned back to Huntsville. set up beforehand how you and your dad are going to split your home, I may be arranged for someone else to care for him why you are quarantining. I don't know what the services are like there, but I know here in the Bay Area need someone to do that kind of work, there are agencies that will certify the worker covid free.

all that said I think you are taking a huge risk especially if it's as soon as next month. Cases are spiking in a lot of places and even our governor has warned that once things open up at all there will be more widespread cases. if you need an n95 respirator mask and can't find one - maybe you could post in S.P.A.M or Community to see if anyone has one they could send you?
wrp96 and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 19, 20, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
And speaking of cars--driving is an option--but it's a week in driving there and back and I'm not so young as the last few times I did the trek.
It's 34 hours from HSV to SFO by car. 2300 miles. You can "easily" do 900 miles in a day if you really want to do this. It's 13 hours of driving @70mph. That's three hours of stops allowed to eat/gas/do business behind a bush before an 8 hour sleep. So, it's 2.5 days there, 2.5 back... leaves 5 days with wifey. (Did 2.5 days from NYC to PDX in a u-haul truck. Yuk.)

You won't mind being tired with wifey since you're gonna stay at home, anyhow. There ain't a whole lot to do here in the bay area these days.

If you can't infect dad, then
a) ensure wife is quarantined.
b) drive there
c) enjoy.
Old Jun 19, 20, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: United MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Southwest Airlines
If youíre this paranoid about life, you donít need to go anywhere at anytime. A hazmat suit....really?

We choose to live life, not be scared of it.

Your father has a compromised immune system, yes, but it doesnít mean he would peel over dead if he got it. Yes, heís at a higher risk, but LIVE YOUR LIFE!

You need to get home and be with your wife for a while. When you come back, just get tested and go on with life as usual.

Quit all the nonsense. Either live life or crawl into a hole and stay there. We donít wear masks, anywhere. We refuse to go in any place that requires masks.

You and your father, even in his compromised state, have a much larger chance of dying in a car accident on the way to/from chemo treatment than the virus.

Donít let irrationality cloud your judgement. Everyone has an expiration date. Make sure to save your marriage. Itís first and foremost the most important thing (or should be).

Last edited by cslovacek; Jun 19, 20 at 6:33 pm
Old Jun 19, 20, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cslovacek View Post
If youíre this paranoid about life, you donít need to go anywhere at anytime. A hazmat suit....really?

We choose to live life, not be scared of it.

Your father has a compromised immune system, yes, but it doesnít mean he would peel over dead if he got it. Yes, heís at a higher risk, but LIVE YOUR LIFE!

You need to get home and be with your wife for a while. When you come back, just get tested and go on with life as usual.

Quit all the nonsense. Either live life or crawl into a hole and stay there. We donít wear masks, anywhere. We refuse to go in any place that requires masks.

You and your father, even in his compromised state, have a much larger chance of dying in a car accident on the way to/from chemo treatment than the virus.

Donít let irrationality clowd your judgement. Everyone has an expiration date. Make sure to save your marriage. Itís first and foremost the most important thing (or should be).
In case you don't know.

Face Masks Now Required in Dallas County Businesses, Recommended in Public Places

Part A of the order, the part requiring masks be worn inside businesses, goes into effect at 11:59 p.m. Friday, June 19 and will remain in place through 11:59 p.m. Aug. 4, unless extended, modified or terminated early.
renila, m.y, SamirD and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: