Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

OSL-YYZ [which flight option for Norwegian citizen, Canadian permanent resident]

OSL-YYZ [which flight option for Norwegian citizen, Canadian permanent resident]

Old Jun 17, 20, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus

Hello all,
I need to fly OSL-YYZ for family reasons, departing (I hope) around June 27th and returning to Oslo at the start of August. I am a Norwegian citizen and Canadian permanent resident, so should have no problems entering Canada (I think!).

My question is which flights seem like the most reliable at this time? I see options with Star Alliance (Lufthansa/Air Canada) OSL-FRA-YYZ and with KLM OSL-AMS-YYZ. The prices are about the same, so does anyone have thoughts on what the safer bet might be or where it might be better to transfer during this strange time?
Old Jun 17, 20, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I think you are better off with the LH/AC combination. Less chance of a cancellation.
Old Jun 17, 20, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Thank you, LondonElite! I just booked the LH/AC trip with Air Canada. Of course, right after I read all the horror stories about Air Canada not refunding cancelled trips, but hoping the Norwegian government regulations will override any AC shenanigans...
Old Jun 17, 20, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
And I assume you are aware that you'll be facing a 14 day mandatory quarantine upon your arrival in Canada, and have a documented plan for it.
Old Jun 17, 20, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airoli View Post
And I assume you are aware that you'll be facing a 14 day mandatory quarantine upon your arrival in Canada, and have a documented plan for it.
Unless he is the special kind of PR who maintains the status by, for example, being married to a Canadian citizen abroad, he should be fine.
Old Jun 17, 20, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Unless he is the special kind of PR who maintains the status by, for example, being married to a Canadian citizen abroad, he should be fine.
What type of PR is exempt from the self-quarantine requirement? None that I know of unless their purpose of travel is for essential work - not essential family related matters.
Old Jun 17, 20, 7:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YYCCL3 View Post
What type of PR is exempt from the self-quarantine requirement? None that I know of unless their purpose of travel is for essential work - not essential family related matters.
I think the idea was that if you're not physically present in Canada for x days / yr (or something like that), you're going to lose your PR unless you're living abroad with a spouse who's a Canadian citizen. To be physically present in Canada for x days/yr, you generally need a domicile in Canada, which is somewhere you could probably self-quarantine
Old Jun 18, 20, 12:00 am
Original Poster

I am in fact coming to visit my spouse and will quarantine with him -- the plan was for him to move to Norway this year, but our plans have been thwarted by the virus. It's a mess, but I am glad I can at least enter Canada since he is not allowed to enter Norway!
Old Jun 18, 20, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 View Post
Originally Posted by pewpew View Post
I think the idea was that if you're not physically present in Canada for x days / yr (or something like that), you're going to lose your PR unless you're living abroad with a spouse who's a Canadian citizen. To be physically present in Canada for x days/yr, you generally need a domicile in Canada, which is somewhere you could probably self-quarantine
That's exactly what I meant.
Old Jun 18, 20, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Readingdemon View Post
I am in fact coming to visit my spouse and will quarantine with him -- the plan was for him to move to Norway this year, but our plans have been thwarted by the virus. It's a mess, but I am glad I can at least enter Canada since he is not allowed to enter Norway!
From what I have heard, this won't be a satisfactory plan, as it will expose your spouse. But if the government isn't happy with your plan, then they will put you in a hotel for 14 days at their expense (at least in BC).
Old Jun 18, 20, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillTravel View Post
From what I have heard, this won't be a satisfactory plan, as it will expose your spouse. But if the government isn't happy with your plan, then they will put you in a hotel for 14 days at their expense (at least in BC).
Permanent residents are not denied entry, and I don't know that the government can force someone from their 'home'.
Old Jun 18, 20, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel View Post
It's totally fine. You have to be staying with your spouse (or other immediate family member) for at least 15 days, the first 14 of which all of you in the home will be under quarantine. Self-isolation plan means you have to present some reasonable explanation of where you will stay and have food/medication/etc delivered to you. Showing up and saying "I hadn't thought about it yet" will get you the Dix motel, but if you plan to stay with your spouse in a home that's already stocked with groceries, there shouldn't be any issues.
Old Jun 19, 20, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Readingdemon View Post
I am in fact coming to visit my spouse and will quarantine with him --
That's now what quarntine means.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...hout_symptoms:
Old Jun 19, 20, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tracon View Post
Was just about to post this -- thank you. I don't anticipate any issues with this, we will be fully stocked with groceries and we are generally both very careful.
Old Jun 21, 20, 10:21 am

Programs: SK, KL, FI
For your original question: as you're a EuroBonus member, I'd choose Lufty, as you can earn some points and transferring at FRA is just as painful as at AMS, imho, although it probably is completely different than usual.

I've done some international traveling during the COVID-lockdown, in fact to Norway. As I'm not a Norwegian citizen, but a PR there, I can share my experiences, as the rules for Norway and Canada are very similar. I don't think they'll refuse you entry, as you have a very good reason to travel to Canada. The point of stricter controls is in fact to keep people out who have no business there, not to make it impossible for people to get back home again to their beloved ones.

First, put the face mask on and keep the darn thing on the whole time, on board and after deplaning. The chance of getting infected or infecting at the terminal is in fact bigger than on board, up in the air, when the ventilation system is on. This is also mandatory, it seems, for Canada, while in Norway most face masks disappeared at the exit of the aircraft and aren't put on just before boarding... Keep it on and avoid any issues there.

I got greeted by military personnel at Arrivals and had to prove that I both am a PR in Norway and that I had a 'plan' for the first two weeks. If you have a certificate or stamp in your passport or so showing your status, then bring it and show it. If you have a Canadian cell phone number, driver's license or home address then make sure you mention it or show it explicitly at the control point, for example by filling out this information on any immigration form that you may get your hands on. If you have the opportunity to write a few sentences and print it on a sheet of paper, that may help. I hadn't had the chance to do this, as the rules got changes while I was traveling home, but I got in nonetheless. I could show a Norwegian driver's license, I speak Norwegian fluently and I have a Norwegian cell phone, so that was more than enough to convince anyone.

Make sure that you're being picked up at the airport and make sure that the person who picks you up has their cell phone readily available in case they want to check. I offered staff to do so, which convinced them more than enough to not deem that necessary. And most of all, look convincing, act convincing, have no doubts. Which should come naturally if you actually prepare the trip properly. So I wouldn't be too worried.

One tip that's not about rules and regulations: have enough to do. You won't realize how long two weeks of quarantine in a house is until you're experiencing it. And make sure you keep on moving and exercising a bit. I gained a few kilos and got out of shape.

Anyway, masse lykke til og god tur!

ps. I was on Gardermoen 3 days ago for a domestic trip. Please know that the International part of Gardermoen (airside) is closed until just before departure. Even tax free may be closed, just like all other shops there.So if you need some food or drinks, get it at the domestic part. Also, all premium lounges are closed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: