FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   “Green lane” travels between SIN and China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2019117-green-lane-travels-between-sin-china.html)

carrotjuice Jun 6, 2020 4:48 am

“Green lane” travels between SIN and China

The so called “simplified” (if you can even call it that) process to avoid quarantine, is an absolute nightmare:

https://www.todayonline.com/node/7462846

And expensive too, the required two swab tests alone will cost in the range of US$320 when done privately!

This will set the tone for future “green lane” arrangements between SIN and other countries to come.

Dublin_rfk Jun 6, 2020 4:57 am

Informative. Several subjective and mobile hoops to jump through blind folded, I can do that. But will I do that?

kiwifrequentflyer Jun 6, 2020 5:03 am

Well, leisure travel definitely sounds like it's off the cards for now, but give this 1-2 months with positive results, perhaps we might see more relaxed green lanes!

Goldorak Jun 6, 2020 8:43 am

This is really absolute madness. Pathetic :td: :rolleyes:

quirrow Jun 6, 2020 10:17 pm

This is more to cater to the business executives (Singaporeans working for MNCs with operations in China) and to wealthy tycoons (Chinese businesmen who have residences in Singapore).

ryman554 Jun 7, 2020 8:12 pm

If anybody thinks that this is NOT going to be the norm at first, particularly for countries which did not suffer from large amounts of exposure, I'd like to hear other ideas. Rational or not, no politician is going to open borders after a successful shutdown without significant theatre to prevent import of cases.

Testing before and after landing seems a reasonable precaution. And you gotta do it both ways.

I wonder about the need to quarantine (which basically means attend whatever functions at the business and return to your hotel not on public transport) at that point, especially for another 14 days. 3 would seem to be more than sufficient, followed by another test. I also fail to see what the serology tests are for -- you would think a positive test there would exempt one for the quarantine vs. create problems.

I also wonder about the "have to stay in foreign country for treatment", but I guess no airline would want you back on the plane.

Why this should only be done with trusted countries is baffling,, it seems like this would be the approach for "dirty" countries, and the "clean" ones would have lower hurdles to clear. I guess, baby steps and shortly the clean countries don't need as much testing and the dirty ones do.

Doppy Jun 7, 2020 9:49 pm

I agree that we're going to see a lot more of this.

I'd really want to know what the false positive rates were for these tests before agreeing to taking the risk of quarantine.

The serology test also seems questionable here. Is this just a DNA collection program?

carrotjuice Jun 7, 2020 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by ryman554 (Post 32438496)
Why this should only be done with trusted countries is baffling,, it seems like this would be the approach for "dirty" countries, and the "clean" ones would have lower hurdles to clear. I guess, baby steps and shortly the clean countries don't need as much testing and the dirty ones do.

Guess the political part is, no country wants to think that it's "dirtier" than the other one that they're trying to establish an arrangement with... hence the requirement of at least parri passu.

ahmetdouas Jun 8, 2020 3:13 am

This seems to be the norm for Asia, but not Europe and US

Sjoerd Jun 8, 2020 3:18 am

Singapore’s Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in a TV speech last night:

We will not be returning to the open and connected global economy we had before, anytime soon. Movement of people will be more restricted. International travel will be much less frequent. Health checks and quarantines will become the norm. It will no longer be so easy to take quick weekend trips to Bangkok or Hong Kong on a budget flight. Industries that depend on travel, like aviation, hotels and tourism, will take a long time to get back on their feet, and may never recover fully.

carrotjuice Jun 8, 2020 4:35 am

That’s... so depressing!

weero Jun 8, 2020 7:49 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 32439140)
That’s... so depressing!

Yes.

And it is even more disappointing - from a man who once had the strength and courage to steer against the cowards and warners that tried to hold everything back.

And there's zero reason to give in to the authoritarians: S'Pore has a Covid mortality of some 0.07% percent.

Tofuciao Jun 8, 2020 11:55 pm

might just be the future of how we travel... Austria imposes mandatory quarantine on all arrivals from third-countries (non-EU). And if you want to end it earlier, testing is available at VIE for 190EUR, results are sent to you in 3-6h. If negative, your quarantine is ended immediately.

Not sure if this is covered by insurance tho... anyone tried reimbursing this cost?

freed0m Jun 9, 2020 1:20 am

Originally Posted by weero (Post 32439493)
Yes.

And it is even more disappointing - from a man who once had the strength and courage to steer against the cowards and warners that tried to hold everything back.

And there's zero reason to give in to the authoritarians: S'Pore has a Covid mortality of some 0.07% percent.

Motality is low in Singapore. However, Singapore faces a different problem from other countries. It depends on a large population of foreign workers(cleaners, construction workers etc), who resides in dormitory in high density. It only takes a few to infecting them all. It will then spread to the community as many of them work in the community.

Singapore will not open before it can settle foreign workers problem.

weero Jun 9, 2020 1:37 am

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 32441555)
Motality is low in Singapore.

It's extreeeeeeeeeemly low.

However, Singapore faces a different problem from other countries. It depends on a large population of foreign workers(cleaners, construction workers etc), who resides in dormitory in high density.
The construction worlers, the domestic cleaners aren't in the dormitories.

It only takes a few to infecting them all. It will then spread to the community as many of them work in the community.
That has happened and they are coraled in there at the moment.

Singapore will not open before it can settle foreign workers problem.
I fear that this will be made the standard.