Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Flying from London, UK, to Antigua with a Layover in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to fly from London to Antigua. Because there are no direct flight I have to have a layover at MIA. I have my ESTA but will the COVID restrictions prevent me from catching my connecting flight to Antigua? Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
What's your citizenship ? When do you travel. Those are important details to give you an advice.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:02 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Optimus12, welcome to Flyertalk.

If you have an ESTA then you’re not a US citizen. Unless you fall under one of the other handful of exceptions for entry to the US (which sounds very unlikely in your case) then currently when the airline transmits your advanced passenger information to the US authorities your ESTA will be cancelled. That means, of course, that you won’t be able to even get on the plane in London.

You don’t say when you’re travelling, but if it’s within the next few weeks then I’m afraid the chance of the restrictions being lifted is extremely low.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Optimus12, welcome to Flyertalk.

If you have an ESTA then you’re not a US citizen. Unless you fall under one of the other handful of exceptions for entry to the US (which sounds very unlikely in your case) then currently when the airline transmits your advanced passenger information to the US authorities your ESTA will be cancelled. That means, of course, that you won’t be able to even get on the plane in London.

You don’t say when you’re travelling, but if it’s within the next few weeks then I’m afraid the chance of the restrictions being lifted is extremely low.
This. Have a look at the US CBP website. There you will see printed in big letters that an attempt to travel on an ESTA will result in it being cancelled, meaning you’ll be denied boarding. I believe there are a few BA flights to Caribbean destinations; take one of those and arrange from there. Is Antigua open to non-residents?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
This. Have a look at the US CBP website. There you will see printed in big letters that an attempt to travel on an ESTA will result in it being cancelled, meaning you’ll be denied boarding. I believe there are a few BA flights to Caribbean destinations; take one of those and arrange from there. Is Antigua open to non-residents?
Seems so...

Antigua and Barbuda
Published 01.06.2020
Passengers arriving in Antigua and Barbuda:
- are subject to medical screening; and
- must wear a mask; and
- present a completed health declaration form.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
What's your citizenship ? When do you travel. Those are important details to give you an advice.
Uk Citizenship. Flying on June 19th.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Optimus12
Uk Citizenship. Flying on June 19th.
Unless things change by 18 June, you won't be allowed to travel to the US. You'll be denied boarding.
MSPeconomist and Owenc like this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Yes Antigua is now open to all international travelers. I see that BA is resuming flights in July. Thank you for the info!

What a great community. The airline couldn't answer my question but all of you did. Thank you everyone for the insight and taking the time to provide an answer.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 5, 2020 at 9:26 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:53 am

If you have US citizenship why are you flying on an ESTA?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by awayIgo
If you have US citizenship why are you flying on an ESTA?
The OP is a UK citizen.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
As said by others, there is no way you can fly there via the US by June 19 (it is extremely unlikely that USA will allow European citizens by then). So you should try either to fly direct from UK to a Carribean island allowing UK pax as transit pax and make a same-day connection to Antigua. Alternatively you can make a connection in AMS or CDG to go to SXM and connect to Antigua (but not sure it is served in June and what are the possible restrictions for transiting in SXM). But it's better in the current times to limit the number of connections because of all the restrictions and the high risk of flight cancellations.
MSPeconomist and Owenc like this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Optimus12
Yes Antigua is now open to all international travelers. I see that BA is resuming flights in July. Thank you for the info!
Anecdotal reports from travel forums BA cancelled July flights to Antigua. Seems odd with so few desirable beach destinations open right now, that airlines are cancelling flights, rather than trying to capitalize on those few destinations that are trying to reopen soonest.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Anecdotal reports from travel forums BA cancelled July flights to Antigua. Seems odd with so few desirable beach destinations open right now, that airlines are cancelling flights, rather than trying to capitalize on those few destinations that are trying to reopen soonest.
With a 14 day quarantine on the return, probably not many takers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.